Biographical Non-Fiction posted August 26, 2010 Chapters:  ...33 34 -35- 36... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a little discernment I received on 1-23-10

A chapter in the book Dear Lexi

Birthday Cakes and Sin

by Rdfrdmom2


 
Dear Lexi:
 
For the past two years I’ve been writing letters to members of Bethlehem Church regarding spiritual lessons I’ve learned. I rarely know in advance what will be my inspiration. I stopped sending these letters out this spring after deciding I needed to look elsewhere for my spiritual needs. Recently, numerous persons shared how much they missed my letters which prompted me to write about the discernment God gave me after observing you eat birthday cake at your first birthday party. Since it centers mostly on your actions that day, I wanted to include it in your book.  I hope you both enjoy reading this and gain some wisdom for life from it one day.
 
Dear Friends in Christ:
 
While I’ve long been intrigued by God’s outrageous love for each of us, my recent health crisis has brought it to the forefront of my thoughts on a daily basis. In particular, I am humbled by the knowledge Jesus would have still died on that cross even if I, Janice Brown Holland, was the only sinner who had ever lived. It is a difficult concept about which to wrap one’s mind, isn’t it, yet one each of us should consider especially since our salvation is such a personal issue. Let me share a family story to help explain.
 
On January 23, 2010, I had the pleasure of helping celebrate my granddaughter’s first birthday. After greeting everyone and opening her presents, it was time for the BIG Event – Lexi’s first bite of cake, ever. Sitting in the high chair with a bib declaring “First Birthday”, she looked at her individual cake ~ seemingly unsure if she was allowed to touch it. She just looked at it while we sang “Happy Birthday” to her. When Cindy removed the candle, Lexi hesitantly reached out to touch it, all the while glancing at the adults as if waiting for one of us to chastise her, listening for that word NO.
 
Finally, the moment we had been waiting for happened. Lexi dipped her finger in the frosting and put it in her mouth. Her eyes indicated it was worthy of another taste. This tentative dipping of her finger in the frosting and then popping into her mouth went on for several minutes – one little dip of icing at a time.
 
Soon, her Grandfather Devers went behind her in an effort to “assist” her by pushing both of her hands into the cake. Miss Lexi was having none of that! Lexi was going to do this thing her way. Cindy decided to demonstrate how Lexi could get more per bite. She stood beside the high chair, stuck her own finger deep in the middle of the cake and icing,, pulled it out covered with cake and icing, licked it off, and went “Yummy.” Lexi took the cue, grinned from ear to ear, and began digging in. There was no stopping her after that until the cake was almost entirely gone. Had her mom not interceded, I don’t think she would have left a single crumb.
 
Reflecting on this later, it dawned on me this is how we are with sin. Most of us don’t jump into wrong-doing at the deep end but often start off with smaller issues which get worse the more we get away with them. Let’s look back at Lexi’s situation to see how it plays out – in childhood and as adults:
 
        1.  Before doing something wrong, we often look around to see if anyone is 
             watching.
        2.  Rather than take ownership for our own actions, we depend on someone
             else to tell us not to sin.
        3. We do something we know is wrong but, if we’re not caught, we repeat it
             over and over again.
        4. Others can try to make us sin but no one else can truly make our choices
            for us.
        5. We must be careful what we do as our children friends, acquaintances, etc.
            are always watching to determine if we really walk the walk we talk.
        6. We should be careful who we emulate. Just because someone else does
             something does not necessarily make it right.
        7. Do not be afraid to intercede on someone’s behalf if you know what is
            being done will create harm. 

Recently I got into a debate about the sinful nature of humans. The other party tried to tell me we had no choice but to sin because we were born into a world of sin. (Sounds like an excuse to sin to me.) My response was, and remains, because of Jesus Christ, I may have been born into a sinful world, but I am not doomed to sin forever. When I do sin, I know if I truly repent, I am saved by the amazing, outrageous love, grace and mercy of our Ancient of Days. Let His beacon shine a light on your path so you may make better choices in your life.
 
                                                          In agape,
                                                          Janice B. Holland
 
Lexi, I can’t wait to see what you have in store for me at your next birthday party. You are definitely my muse.
 
                                                Love always,
                                                Nanny Jan




This letter was distributed this week. at 19 months old, Lexi is not old enough to understand all that it contains, but my recent health crisis has made me aware of how important it is for me to get more things in her book while I still can. I hope you find something you can use in this mesage. Thanks to wolf6249107 for this wonderful picture. Thanks for reading. I will add this to my Dear Lexi book soon.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rdfrdmom2 All rights reserved.
Rdfrdmom2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.