Romance Fiction posted August 3, 2010 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Joe reveals more about himself.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 4 part two

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with his best friend's baby sister, Sara. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. His best friend, Josh, was killed during Desert Storm.
From my previous post:

Joe put his arms around Sara and shouted, "Residences of White Oak, PA. I, Joe Barnes, am holding Sara Riley in my arms, and now I am kissing her." His lips locked firmly with hers.
*****************************************************************************
When the kiss ended, Sara's eyes remained closed and she placed her right hand across her stomach. I hope Joe never discovers how that kiss affected me.

As Joe covered her hand with his, she opened her eyes and stared at their hands as her cheeks tinged with pink. Darn, he knows.

Joe grinned and kissed her cheek. "Don't be embarrassed. I felt the same desires."

"You just announced to the entire town we're--" She paused.

"Falling in love," he interrupted.

"At least it's the middle of the night. Most townspeople are asleep." Sara released a deep breath. I can't believe he did that.

"Why does falling in love embarrass you?"

"I'm not embarrassed. I'm scared."

"Let's go somewhere else. We need to talk." He led her back to the white limousine. Joe opened the door and asked the driver, "Did you get drinks?" After he nodded, Joe continued, "Take us to my house."

In the driveway, Joe sent the limousine driver home and helped Sara into his yellow Porsche. "I had planned on going to the lake, but I think the bluff above the river will be more private. Is that all right?" She nodded,and then they drove to the bluff.

Sara watched the rows of streetlights, until Joe turned left away from the town lights. I wonder what he has planned. He's been a perfect gentleman. Will that change?

Joe helped her from the car, before he removed a small cooler and a blanket from the back seat. "Come on."

He spread the blanket on the grass and sat. "Want to sit beside me?" As Sara sat, Joe opened the cooler and took out a bottle of soda. "I understand if you want to open it yourself."

"It doesn't matter. I'm safe with you."

"Good." He opened it and handed it to her. "I've always liked this spot. Josh and I would double date. After the movie, this is where we brought the girls. I guess it's ironic I've brought his baby sister here." He scanned the river. "Look, there's a barge coming this way."

She glanced toward the boat. "It's late for river activity. I guess they're running behind." Sara smoothed out a wrinkle in the blanket. "This is a major make-out place. You said you were well behaved in high school."

"I was. No sex or alcohol. When I was young, drugs weren't a big issue. We did a lot of kissing." He chuckled before he continued; "We touched a few breasts, but always through the clothes. Never were brave enough to go under a blouse and we tried making that look like an accident."

His eyes twinkle when he grins. That's not fair.

He kissed her cheek, then stared in her eyes. "I've already admitted I wasn't a saint in college. I took the first opportunity I had to have sex and the same with drinking." He caressed her hand. "By the time I was --" He scratched his head. "Twenty-one, maybe twenty-two, I realized meaningless relationships weren't that great."

"You didn't need to share that with me."

"I know, but I thought it might help you understand my motives." He took his billfold from his back pocket and opened it to a photograph. "I'm sure you recognize my parents." After passing the photos, he stopped. "This is Matt." He pointed to each picture as he spoke. "His wife, Dani. Drew, their three year old and Emily, their infant daughter."

"Dani's beautiful."

"That she is, but she's just as beautiful on the inside. When you meet her, you'll understand what I'm saying." He hesitated. "Remember when I told you Matt and I were roommates? Well, Matt has four older sisters. He grew up respecting women. It wasn't long before he taught me that lesson." Joe stared at the photograph. "Matt also taught me how to be a gentleman. Being an only child, I was pretty spoilt. Anyway, Matt led by example and I'm who I am today because of him."

"Did you tell me this because I confessed what happened after my senior prom?"

He wiped a strand of hair from her cheek and then used his fingers to highlight confessed. "I'm not sure 'confessed' is the correct term. You didn't do anything that needed to be confessed. You were a victim."

"The stars are beautiful." She stared up at the night sky. "They look so close I could almost reach up and touch them." A loud sigh escaped her lips. "I'm not sure being a victim is any better than being a slut." She glanced at him. "I guess it doesn't make any difference. The outcome's the same." I screwed up my entire life.

"I'd think knowing you weren't at fault would make you feel better about yourself."

She thought for a little while. "I still chose to go out with him. He had a reputation of being a bad boy. I should've known he was trouble."

"So you made the age old mistake of thinking the love of a good woman can change the bad boy into a good one."

She shrugged her shoulders. "Probably, he didn't change. I was date raped and pregnant. He got a new girl friend, and I haven't dated since." I can't believe I was so stupid. He went on with his life as if nothing ever happened and I've struggled to make ends meet.

Joe put his arm around her shoulders. "That's not true. I'm dating you and having a wonderful time."

She leaned her head on his shoulder. "True, and you're a very wonderful man." I feel so comfortable with you, but I'd better be careful. I've already proven I don't make good decisions where men are concerned. I can't afford another mistake.

"You think so? Even with my youthful indiscretions," he teased.

"Joe, do you believe things work out a certain way for a reason?"

"What do you mean?" He kissed her cheek.

"Maybe I wasn't supposed to date--" I can't believe I just said that. She hesitated, then said, "Never mind, it's silly."

"You're wondering if you were supposed to raise Cassie by yourself so you'd be available when we met at the right place and right time."

He even reads minds. She blushed. "It sounds silly said out loud, doesn't it?" She stared toward the water. "It is silly. You're going home tomorrow." I'm not going to let you break my heart.

"Come here." He pulled her closer to him and kissed her. "I'm not going to break your heart. I told you I'm planning on seeing you until you give me walking papers."



Recognized


Thank you Wolfdancer 13 for the beautiful artwork Descending Sun. To me it represents the river bluffs Joe and Sara are looking over as they discover more about each other's lives and we see a little insight to Sara's emotions. This is part two of chapter 4 and is part of a novel. If you have not read the previous chapters, you will not understand the characters and why they act as they do. This chapter will probably take four parts to post. We will get to know them better as they get to know each other. Thank you for supporting me. I appreciate each one of you. I couldn't post Sunday. I thought I would post yesterday, but did too much and ended up back in bed. I need to learn limitations.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.