Romance Fiction posted July 25, 2010 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Joe and Sara leave the reunion.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 4 Part one

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with his best friend's baby sister, Sara. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. His best friend, Josh, was killed during Desert Storm.
CHAPTER FOUR

Joe placed his hand on the small of Sara's back and led her toward the white limousine. He noticed her searching the area. "Is there a problem?"

"Not really. I didn't wear a watch and wondered about the time." She lifted her wrist.

He glanced at his. "It's eleven fifteen." Removing the cell phone from his back pocket, he offered it to her. "Call home and make sure Cassie's all right."

"It's not necessary. I'm sure she's fine."

"I want you to enjoy yourself. I don't want you worrying about your daughter." He placed it in her hand. "Now call."

After a short conversation, she handed the phone back. "Cassie's safe and all the doors are locked." She smiled. "Thank you. I do feel better."

Leaning over, he kissed her cheek, helped her inside, and then sat down beside her. "Would you like to get something to eat or drink before we go somewhere more private?"

Her eyebrows rose as she stared at him. "I'm not sure."

He hesitated and took her hand. "I promise there won't be a repeat of your senior prom." Running his fingers through his short brown hair, he continued, "I'm thirsty and I'm guessing you are too. You haven't had a drink since dinner. I thought we could go somewhere private and get to know each other better. We never get time alone. There are parents, Cassie, and townspeople around us everywhere we go." Joe motioned for the driver they were ready.

Sara gulped and stared out the side window. "Do you have a badge?"

"Why?" While he waited for her response, he removed it from his back pocket. "I have a badge, a military ID, a Task Force ID, and a driver's license. Would you like to see all of them?"

"Actually I would." She held out her hand and waited. After she examined each form of identification, their eyes met. "I don't see anything warning women 'be careful, this man's a heartbreaker.'"

"I don't plan on breaking your heart. I am very fond of you." He caressed her hand. "No, I'm in danger of falling in love with you, but I'm not ready to make a serious commitment. Before I could, I'd need reassurance you care for me more than a schoolgirl crush. There's the possibility you could hurt me."

Joe instructed the driver to park. After the limousine stopped, Joe got out and opened the door for Sara.

As she stepped from the car, he caressed her cheek with his finger. Holding her hand, he noticed moisture enter her eyes and roll down her cheeks. He shook his head. "I didn't mean to make you cry. I thought if I told you where I stood, you'd feel more comfortable." Sara searched her clutch for a tissue. Joe handed her a handkerchief. "Maybe this will help."

"Thank you." She took a deep breath and wiped her eyes. "My tears are because I never expected a man, or anyone, for that matter, to be so honest." She put her hand on his arm. "I have more than a schoolgirl crush on you. I'm falling in love with you and that scares me."

She lifted his wrist and glanced at his watch. "Tomorrow you'll leave. It's going to be hard to say goodbye. If I allow myself to get any closer to you, I'll only get hurt."

"Yes, I have to return to the Task Force. That doesn't mean I'll leave you."

"Five hundred miles is a little far for dating. Long distance relationships never work." She turned away from him.

"It's only five hundred miles. I've already worked on a plan to continue our relationship." He placed his hand under her chin and turned her face toward him.

"You've already admitted you're a workaholic and out of the country often. You couldn't sustain a relationship when you were both in the same town."

He laughed as he kissed her cheek. "Maybe I wasn't as motivated as I am now." Moisture, again, entered her eyes. He put his arms around her as he drew her closer. "Would you stop with the tears, already?"

"Only if you quit being nice."

"You're the first woman I've ever met who told a man to quit being nice."

She stepped back and stared at him. "Do you believe," she placed her hand against his chest, "in your heart we have a chance?"

After long slow kisses, he inhaled a deep breath. "Yes, I do."

Quickly she stepped back. "You shouldn't kiss me like that in a public parking lot."

"Come with me." He took her hand and led her toward the sidewalk. "This has gone on way too long."

"Where are we going?"

Joe didn't answer until he stopped at the center of the town square beside a Civil War cannon. "I'm sure once we left the reunion the cell phone companies made a fortune. Your classmates called everyone they knew and told them we were together. Not only were we together; but we danced and kissed."

Joe put his arms around Sara and shouted, "Residents of White Oak, PA. I, Joe Barnes, am holding Sara Riley in my arms, and now I am kissing her." His lips locked firmly with hers.



Recognized


This is the beginning of chapter 4 and is part of a novel. If you have not read the previous chapters, you will not understand the characters and why they act the way they do. This chapter will probably take four parts to post. We will get to know them better as they get to know each other. Thank you for supporting me. I appreciate each one of you.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.