Romance Fiction posted July 13, 2010 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Joe and Sara continue to get closer.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 3 Part One

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with his best friend's baby sister, Sara. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. His best friend, Josh, was killed during Desert Storm.
CHAPTER THREE

Early the following morning, Sara opened the front door to check the weather and saw Joe bending over on the sidewalk. "What are you doing?" She rested her head against the doorframe.

"I'm stretching." While he touched his shoes, he added, "Last night you mentioned you jog to work." He stood, glanced, and pointed toward the hardware store. "I'm guessing it's about five miles straight down that road. How long does it take you? About fifty minutes?" Stretching his arms over his head, he chuckled.

"It takes me a little over thirty minutes." She adjusted her ball cap and smiled. "Afraid I might beat you?"

"Not a chance."

"Come on in." She held the door open. "Cassie's not ready, yet. I won't leave until she's on her way to school."

She watched Joe walk up the sidewalk. He's probably six feet two inches tall and weighs maybe two hundred fifteen pounds of pure muscle. He wore a light gray athletic T-shirt, and she couldn't help but notice muscle definition.

Sara noticed his dancing brown eyes slide down her body. She forced herself to take a deep breath to keep her desires under control. I need to remember he leaves Sunday and this is already Friday.

Joe walked up the porch steps and put his arms around her waist.

"Mom?" called a voice from the hallway.

"Sorry." Joe stepped away and faced the street.

"Cassie? Did you lose something?" Sara turned and tried to conceal the flush that overcame her cheeks.

"What's wrong?" Cassie's eyes darted from her mom to Joe. When no one answered, she continued, "Where's my blue jacket? Don't forget I'm eating at Angela's tonight. Where's my book bag?" She lifted a pillow from the couch and searched.

Joe laughed, pretending to scan the room for damage. "Did a hurricane just enter?"

"Nope, just my fourteen-year-old daughter," Sara muttered, then said to Cassie, "Nothing's wrong, and yes, I remember you're eating at Angela's. I'll be home late, but I want you home and in bed by eleven." She glanced around the room. "Your book bag's on the left side of the couch, and your blue jacket is, of all places; in the coat closet."

"You actually followed what she said, didn't you?" He rubbed his unshaven chin.

"I grew into following it as she learned to talk."

Cassie grabbed her jacket and book bag, then pecked her mom's cheek. "'Bye Mom, I need to run. I'm late." As she shut the front door, she turned. "Have fun at your reunion." She grinned at Joe. "Hi, and 'bye Mr. Joe. Oh yeah, don't forget to ask Mom to dance tonight."

"She's a burst of energy. You've done a great job with her."

"Thank you." She glanced down the road. "Did you jog here from your parents'?"

"Yep, I'm used to ten mile runs."

"I don't believe you came all this way just to see how long it takes me to jog five miles. You're on vacation. Why are you even up this early?" Cautiously, she eyed him.

"I can't pull anything over on you, can I?" He stepped closer and lifted the cap from her head. "I like the pigtails. You used to wear your hair in braids."

After she retrieved the ball cap from him, she replaced it. "Why are you here and why are you avoiding my questions?" I'll see if he avoids direct ones.

"Because I don't want to admit you're getting to me." Pink caressed her cheeks, and he placed his hand on her arm. "When I left the past two nights, you had tears in your eyes. Today, I can't take you to lunch. I'm speaking at our moms ladies' group."

"So you came over now?" She grinned. "That's sweet."

"Not really, or I wouldn't have made you cry. I'm batting a thousand. Making a lady cry isn't something you want a high batting average in."

"I doubt it's your fault. Maybe I cry easily."

He brushed the back of his fingers across her cheek. "Each time you've had a good reason. You've never really cried, just had moist eyes. I have a feeling you're very strong."

Boy, do I have him fooled. She released a deep breath. "We better leave or I might start crying."

He held the door for her. "Let's go. I've promised myself I'm not going to make you cry again."

"You shouldn't make promises you don't have any control over." She grabbed a rucksack from the floor and put it over her back. "My clothes." She answered and he stared at the bag.

"I'm avoiding any subject with potential for tears, especially when it's time to leave." He took her hands in his and rubbed the back of them with his thumbs. "I'm not leaving the next time there are tears in your eyes. You mean too much to me."

Not sure what to say, she changed the subject. "I'm going to be late. Think Dad will fire me?"

"I doubt you could do anything that would cause your dad to fire you. I remember how he spoiled you rotten. If Josh or I did or said even the smallest thing, your dad would come to the rescue. I bet he still does." He let go of her hands, wiped his forehead, and grinned. "I have a feeling it's rubbing off on me." He stared down the street. "Let's go."

*****
At the door of the hardware store, Sara bent over to her knees, breathed heavily and glanced at her watch. "That was a little over a six minute mile." She took another deep breath and released it. "I do seven minute miles." She stood, took a water bottle from her rucksack, and drank. "Let me guess. It was a little slow for you."

With labored breathing, Joe walked around in a circle. "I do about five minute miles, but it was still a good workout. There were a couple of hills. The hill on Eleventh Street is steep."

"I better get inside and shower." She reached for the door handle.

Joe put his hand against the door. "I'll pick you up at six o'clock." When she smiled, he added, "Good, no tears." He flipped her pigtail. "See you tonight, munchkin." He turned toward the street to continue his trip home.

Sara called after him, "I'm not a munchkin. I grew up."

He called over his shoulder, "That you did and quite nicely."

Her eyes slid down his broad shoulders to his slim waist and hips. She smiled, watching his muscular legs move in the black shorts. She shook her head. There's no way we could ever have a serious relationship. He lives five hundred miles away. I live--

"Sara, are you coming to work or standing on the sidewalk all day? Get in before all the flies in town follow you." Her father's voice boomed.

She sighed. With Daddy. A smile crossed her face. "I wonder what tonight's reunion will bring. I'm sure it will be interesting."



Recognized


Thank you for your continued support. This is the first part of chapter three. The reunion is next.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.