Romance Fiction posted July 9, 2010 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Joe and Sara continue getting reacquainted.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chatper 2 Part three

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with his best friend's baby sister, Sara. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. His best friend, Josh, was killed during Desert Storm. <
BACKGROUND:
Joe helped Sara with the dishes as they continued to get reacquainted.




"You want to wash or dry?" Joe gently pushed her aside with his hips.

"I'll wash." She pushed back. She filled the sink with water and turned toward him. "I'm sorry about ...."

"Don't worry about it," he interrupted. "But it's nice to know you care enough to get jealous." As she gulped, he added, "I care enough about you to get jealous too; so we're even." He lifted a plate to dry.

"You've traveled to all the major cities in the US and around the world, haven't you?" After Joe nodded, Sara continued, "My life must seem boring to you."

He dried the last plate and put the stack in a cabinet. "Your life seems perfect to me. I've enjoyed the time I've spent with you and Cassie."

"I bet your parents want to spend more time with you. Your mom was really excited about your visit." She set the last pan in the strainer.

"I spent most of the day with them." He dried it and put it away. "I'll leave early enough to spend time with them before they go to bed. They don't mind me visiting with you." He folded the towel and they walked into the living room.

Cassie slammed a book on the table. "Mom, I can't do this. I don't understand."

Joe stood beside her. "What's the problem?" He turned the book over so he could read the cover. "Maybe I can help. I'm fluent in Spanish."

"Really?" She searched for the page and then pointed to the sentence: Compro' esto ayer. "Here, I don't know what it says. I can't find 'compro' in this dictionary." She held up a small, thick, paperback Spanish dictionary

"The sentence roughly translates to: I bought this yesterday. 'Compro' comes from the verb 'comprar', which means to buy. The secret to Spanish is you have to conjugate the verbs." Joe watched over her shoulder and assisted when necessary. When she finished the assignment, he said, "I'm surprised you're taking Spanish in eighth grade."

Cassie turned on the computer and glanced toward her mom. "She's making me, or I wouldn't be. Thank you for the help." She read the computer screen and laughed. "Angela wants to know if Mr. Joe can come to school for career day next Wednesday and discuss secret agent stuff."

Sara glanced at Joe. "He leaves Sunday. I don't think he'll be available."

Joe smiled. "Sorry, Cassie." He stood beside the computer table. "Is Angela your friend? Are you in a chat room?"

Sara stood beside him. "They're best friends. They see each other all day at school, then at softball practice. I don't know what they possibly find to discuss. Once homework and chores are done they're either on the phone or the computer."

Cassie rolled her eyes at her mom. "To answer Mr. Joe's question, we're instant messaging each other."

"Do you chat with other people at the same time?"

"Sometimes, but it's usually just Angela and me. Sometimes someone requests to join us. We can let them or not, but I think most people go elsewhere." She typed a little, then added, "Once in awhile we'll let someone join us."

Joe glanced at Sara and grinned. "Want to go outside and chat with me?"

"Sure." She followed him to the porch. "What do you want to chat about?"

"I don't know. I just wanted some alone time with you." He took her hand. "Cassie's great, but once in a while I like being alone with you."

Sara tilted her head. "How many languages do you speak?"

"You're cute when you're frustrated," he said, grinning. "I'm fluent in four languages and I'm learning Pashto, the official language of Afghanistan."

"I struggle to speak correct English." She blew out a deep breath. "You've been all over the world, speak four languages, and can cook. What else can you do?"

Before he could answer, Cassie called, "Mom, Angela says her mom wants to remind you about the youth services bake sale during Saturday's game."

Sara and Joe walked inside. "Did she say what she wanted me to bring and what time she wants me to work?"

Joe glanced over Cassie's shoulder. "What does POS mean?"

"Nothing." Her computer screen went blank. "I guess Angela's mom didn't have anything else to say." She stood, then turned on the TV. Cassie watched four couples dance, before she asked, "Mom, will you dance at your reunion?"

Sara's cheeks flushed pink. "I don't know. I may not be asked."

Cassie smiled at Joe. "You do dance, don't you?"

"Of course." He turned off the TV and turned the radio dial until he found a soft music station. He held out his arms toward Sara. "May I have this dance?"

She stepped toward Joe. "I'm not very good."

"I have a feeling we'll make perfect dancing partners. Don't you agree, Cassie?"

"I've never seen Mom dance. I think you're supposed to stand a little closer to your partner."

Sara chewed on her bottom lip and stepped back. "Cassie, why don't you show me how it's supposed to be done."

"Stand like this." She stood in front of Joe. He's supposed to put his arms around you like this." Joe grinned as he placed his arms around Cassie. "Now Mom, you're supposed to step in closer like this." She took a step. "See, now try it." Moving aside, she left a space for her mother.

Joe noticed Sara release a deep breath and took Cassie's arm. "I think you need to be my partner." He was careful to keep a large distance between himself and Cassie.

After the thirteenth time Cassie stepped on his feet, he smiled at Sara. "Are you ready to give it a try?"

"I don't feel I have a choice." She swallowed. "I guess I'm ready."

Cassie stepped aside. "Go for it, Mom."

Joe put his arms around Sara, leaving a gap. "It's not so bad, is it?"

"I guess not, but if I step on your feet fourteen times, it'll be embarrassing."

"I won't let you," he whispered in her ear. "Just follow my lead." They continued dancing until the phone rang.

"Excuse me." Sara hesitated before picking it up. When she hung up, she walked toward the door. "It was Angela's mom with information about the bake sale. Joe, would you like to go back outside?" As they sat on the porch swing, she asked, "You've a lot of experience with women, don't you?"

"I wondered how long it'd take you to make the jump from cooking, to traveling, to languages, to dancing, to women." He fingered a blonde highlight. "Your hair's beautiful in the moonlight." He stared into her eyes. "Yes, I have experience with women. Not as much as you think I do, but enough. Is that a problem?"

"Not really." She stared at her hands. "The only man I have experience with is my dad, but it's not the same."

Joe laughed. "I hope not." He paused for a moment. "You have experience with Cassie's father, don't you?"

She stood and turned toward the door.

He gently took her hand, hoping she wouldn't go inside. "Up to this point, we've been honest with each other. I'm not forcing you to discuss him, but have enough courage to say 'I don't want to.' Don't just leave."

When moisture filled her eyes, he moved his hand. "I'm sorry. I'll call and let you know what time I'll pick you up tomorrow evening." He turned to leave.

"Joe, wait." She put her hand on his arm.

He stopped and turned around. "It's not necessary...."

"We only had sex once, so I don't have a lot of experience with him either," she interrupted.

"Were you ... raped?"

"No."

He released a slow breath.

Cassie opened the door. "Mom, Grandma called and wants you to call her. She says it's important."

"I'd better see what she wants." She walked to the door, brushing tears from her cheeks.



Recognized


Thank you Celia Claase for the lovely artwork, 'The Dance'. I want to thank all my fans for continuing to support me. I am laying some important background information that will you need in the future.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.