Romance Fiction posted June 23, 2010 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sara and Joe meet.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 1 Part one

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Col. Joe Barnes works for Task Force 385. He comes home for a few days to visit his parents and gets reacquainted with Sara Riley. I will add more as the novel progresses. ENJOY!!!
CHAPTER ONE

Colonel Joe Barnes parked in his parents' driveway and smiled at the red brick ranch house he grew up in. His parents bought the house when he was five years old. He watched the rectangular, picture window's curtain move, knowing his mom, Renee, would soon run down the front steps.

Before he could shut the car door, Renee had her arms around his neck. "I'm glad you're home."

He returned the hug and kissed her cheek. "So am I. It's been a while, hasn't it?"

"Way too long. How was your trip?"

"The traffic wasn't bad, probably because it's the middle of the week." He glanced toward the front door. "Where's Dad?"

"He's coming. He was in the backyard trimming the shrubs. Are you sure you can only stay until Sunday?"

Before Joe could answer, his dad, Bob, crossed the lawn and vigorously shook his hand.

"Oh." Renee hurried toward the house. "I almost forgot. I have cookies in the oven."

Bob raised the hood of the car. "Have you checked the oil lately?"

Joe grinned. "Dad, the Porsche is less than a year old, but yes, I checked it at the last gas station."

As Bob shut the hood, a softball bounced by Joe and rolled under the car.

"I didn't know any families with boys young enough to play ball still lived in this neighborhood." Joe bent down and searched under the car.

"None do, but they visit their grandparents." Bob chuckled.

A teenage girl with a brunette ponytail hanging from under a navy blue baseball cap ran up to them. He noticed her bright blue eyes, sprinkle of freckles across her cheeks, and the cute dimples when she smiled. "Sorry, Mr. Barnes. It got away from me."

"Not a problem, Cassie. Practicing pitching?"

"Yeah, our first game's Saturday morning, and I'm scheduled to start." She lay down on her stomach and reached for the ball behind the driver's side front tire.

"I can get that for you." Joe reached for the ball.

She stood with the ball in her hand. "I have it, but thanks." She leaned over and brushed sand from her cut-off denim shorts and legs.

"Cassie, did your ball escape again?" A woman's voice called from the house next door.

"Yep, but I got it."

"Did you apologize to Mr. Barnes?"

Cassie glanced at the two men. "I'm sorry. I'll try to keep the ball in Grandma's yard."

Joe's attention went straight to the voice and searched the yard until he saw a pretty petite woman standing halfway up a ladder in cut-off denim jeans and a pink T-shirt. She struggled with a shutter. He heard her call, "Dad, this shutter won't budge," as she adjusted the blue ball cap covering her hair.

"I'll be there in a minute." A male's deep voice replied from the backyard.

Joe walked across the yard and stood beside the ladder. "Maybe I can get it."

The woman stared down and smiled.

Before she could say anything, Joe asked, "Sara Riley, is that you?" He grinned.

"It's me. I see you've already met my daughter, Cassie." She pointed toward the teenager and climbed down the ladder.

"Boy, did you ever grow up!" He absorbed her bright blue eyes, enticing smile, generous breasts, slender waist and perfectly rounded hips. Her legs aren't bad, either.

"That's usually what happens as a person ages."

"I see you still have the same quick mouth." He glanced toward the ladder and shook his head. "Damn, another pretty face."

"What did you say?" Her eyes widened.

"Task Force 385 men seem to always end up helping beautiful women. It seems to be our destiny, and I'm no exception," he teased, once he realized he spoke louder than he intended. "Step aside and I'll see if I can get that shutter for you." He climbed up the ladder, examined the screws, and then glanced down at her. "Do you have a Phillips head screwdriver?"

"Here." She smiled, removing one from her back pocket,handing it to him.

Joe grinned at the dimples and the perfectly placed freckles on her cheeks as he struggled with the screws. "I think the screws are stripped." While he forced the shutter loose, his muscles flexed under the short sleeves of his blue Henley. Handing it down to Sara, he asked, "You got it? Is it too heavy?"

"I have it, and no, it's not too heavy," she blurted. A healthy pink tint crossed her cheeks, as she diverted her eyes from him.

"I forgot how independent you were. How long has it been?" He hesitated, before he answered his own question, "I guess the last time I saw you was at Josh's funeral."

"I was fourteen then." She turned toward Cassie, wiping moisture welling in her eyes.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring it up."

"You'd think after eighteen years, it wouldn't hurt anymore. I guess I'll always miss my big brother."

"He was young and had his whole life ahead of him."

"The year before he died, he graduated from the Air Force academy." She released a deep breath. "I guess I don't need to tell you. Josh and you were best friends." She removed the cap and brushed a loose strand of hair back, before she replaced it.

"You graduated from West Point the same year and were sent to Desert Storm at the same time." She released a deep breath. "Only Josh didn't return home."

"I can still remember how pretty this street looked with all the yellow ribbons tied around the tree trunks." She shielded her eyes from the sun and pointed at the large oak trees. "The whole neighborhood waited for Josh and you to return. The entire town was behind the soldiers."

Sara turned and watched a softball roll under the yellow Porsche. "Cassie has a pitching screen on the left side of the house." Glancing toward that direction, she continued, "My daughter's a good pitcher, just can't field worth a darn," she added with a smile.

"So she's a tomboy, like her mom. If I remember right, you tried to join Josh and me at whatever ball game we were playing, and were always under foot."

"If I remember right, you and Josh were always in my way and called me 'munchkin'." She lifted the shutter. "I better get this to Dad so he can paint it." She turned toward the backyard. "You even called me a 'single digit midget'." The pout of her lips turned into a smile.

"Back then that's what you were." He took the shutter from her. "Let me carry that."

"I'm not helpless."

"I know, but I was brought up to never allow a lady to carry anything heavy." He grinned.

"I was brought up to take care of myself, because nobody else will." She yanked it back from him.
They laughed and each struggled to gain control. Sara's cap fell off.

"I'd forgotten how beautiful your hair was." Joe studied her shoulder length auburn hair with natural blonde highlights running through it.

"It never could figure out what color it wanted to be and it still hasn't figured it out. Only I think a few gray hairs have been added to the mix." She smiled and held the shutter as a trophy.

A black convertible Corvette drove into the driveway and a distinguished blonde lady opened the car door and walked toward them. "Isn't this cozy?" Her eyes widened. "Joe Barnes, is that you?"

Joe gained control of the shutter as he studied the lady. "Yes." He searched his memory, wondering if he should know her but couldn't place the face.

"I'd recognize you anywhere. The years have been good to you. You're just as handsome as you were in high school. Your picture still hangs in the high school foyer." She offered her hand to shake. "I was Ginger Wright, Sam Wright's daughter. My oldest brother, Sam Jr., was a year behind you in school. Sara and I graduated in the same class."

"It's starting to come back." He glanced at Sara, but addressed Ginger, "I'm sure you ladies would like to talk privately. I'll take this," he held the shutter toward Sara, "to your dad."

Ginger moved closer to Joe, put her hand on his arm, and smiled. "I just wanted to remind Sara I haven't received confirmation or the money for our reunion dinner and/or dance Friday night. It's only two days away." She grinned at Sara. "You're welcome to come without a date."

"I don't think I'll attend, but thank you for your concern." She stared at her worn-out sneakers.

"I'm escorting Sara. How much are the tickets?" Joe noticed how uncomfortable Sara felt. He leaned the shutter against his legs and removed his billfold from his back jeans pocket.

Sara's eyes widened.

"For dinner it's forty dollars and for the dance it's twenty-five." Ginger gulped. "Which one will you escort her to?"

Joe counted out the money. "Here's sixty-five dollars. I'll be escorting her to both events." He handed the money to Ginger.

Ginger took the money and drove away while Sara watched.

After Joe returned from taking the shutter to the backyard, he grinned. "This has to be the first time in your life you are at a loss for words."

"I'm not sure what just happened." She swallowed.

"You have a date for all your reunion stuff. I'm taking you."

"But ...." She swallowed and placed her hands on her hips.

"But nothing," he interrupted. "We're going together and we're going to have fun. "

"You haven't heard about me, have you?"

"I know exactly who you are. You're Sara Riley. You grew up next door and were a pain in the neck." He paused. "I'm guessing you're still a pain in the neck." He moved the ladder to the next shutter. "But the blonde streaks in your hair are just the beginning of your charm. You grew up to be a very beautiful lady."

He pretended to think, before teasing, "I guess it won't be too much of a hardship taking you." He smiled. "I'm honored to be your escort."

"That's not who I am. I'm the girl who got pregnant during my senior year in high school. I was eighteen when Cassie was born. I've raised her by myself."

She stepped up two rungs on the ladder, then stopped. "You're the star jock and graduated with honors, the class valedictorian." She chewed her lower lip. "You went to West Point. You're the closest thing we have to a hometown hero. You know; a local guy leaves and makes it big. You don't want to be seen with me. If you catch Ginger, I'm sure she'll return your money."

He touched her arm. "This is a small town, and I know there's been a lot of talk, but I'm not interested in gossip. I want to escort you to the reunion. This is your fifteen year reunion, right?"

"Yes." After hesitating, she asked. "Are you sure you want to get involved?"

"I'm sure. You need to get a dress." Grinning, his eyes slid down her body. "Your cut-off jeans look great, but I think you'd be more comfortable in a dress." He glanced toward his parents' house and saw his dad working in the garage. "I better get home." He laughed. "Mom will think I got lost."

Sara smiled. "I'm sure they're wondering what you're doing over here for so long. I know they wouldn't approve."

"My parents have never judged you, but they've wondered why you never named Cassie's father. Care to enlighten me?"

"I'd rather not talk about it." She studied the ladder.

"OK." He ran his fingers through his short brown hair. "I'll try to drop by later tonight." He watched her climb up the ladder and grinned at her cute rear-end.



Recognized


Thank you Lorac1 for your beautiful artwork, "Road to Lansing". I wanted to portray a small town environment. This artwork does this. I want to thank my fans for sticking with me through Tantalizing Eyes. I hope Another Pretty Face doesn't disappoint you. You comments are appreciated.

There will be a lot of action in this novel, but in this first post I am introducing the characters, setting the plot, and showing a little of the conflict. There will be some interesting twists during the journey.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.