Children Fiction posted June 6, 2010 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Rosa lets her guard down.

A chapter in the book Gramalot's Storybook

Rosa

by gramalot8



Background
Chapter in book of short stories and poems for kids of all ages and for all occasions.
She boldly approached the gravely blacktop of the school playground. Her coal-black eyes darted quickly around the crowded yard. Small, sensitive nostrils twitched and seemed to sniff the surrounding area to sense out any danger that could be nearby. She noticed an empty swing softly swaying in the afternoon breeze; back and forth, back and forth, slowing now and again as if being manipulated against its will. Cautiously looking around her, she edged toward the swing, swiftly pouncing upon her prey, ready to challenge anyone who would dare to interfere.

Her long wispy legs gracefully mastered her new possession: back and forth, back and forth, forcing it to move faster and faster like a shooting star. The swing now fought triumphantly against the breeze of the cool autumn air.

Her brow furrowed as she drifted into her deep thoughts. It was another move, another town, another new fifth grade to cope with. Outwardly she tried to appear daring and reckless, but inside she was just the opposite --- yielding uncontrollably to the lifestyle being forced upon her. The routine life of the humble migrant family was anything but easy, especially for the vagabond children. They usually didn't stay in one place long enough to have even a casual friend. But this time was supposed to be different. Her papa had a better job and it was going to last a long time --- at least that is what the children had been told.

The swing rose higher and higher. Her silky raven hair flowed out behind her like her Grandma Rosaria's lacey mantilla shawl. Slender fingers had to keep pushing the long tendrils off her copper brown face. She continued pumping: back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Her body was slight in size but very muscular, which was apparent as she manuvered the swing upwards towards the steel blue sky. Drifting deeper into her mellow thoughts, she wasn't surprised at the moisture flipping off her dark curly lashed. Softly she murmured to herself. "Oh, I hope this town will be different." A long sigh escaped her pursed lips.

Suddenly she was brought back to reality. She was surprised to find a pudgy blonde girl in the next swing actually talking to her! The young girls words were flying rapidly into the somber girls direction, and at first she had a difficult time following them.

"Hi, I'm Nancy. I saw you come into Miss Gillian's class today. You'll like her. What is your name, again? It sounded awfully pretty."

For a brief moment she just stared at the girl talking to her. She hesitated to speak. Too many times, other kids had laughed and teased her about her accent. Was it to happen here, too? In a carefully, but guarded, poised manner, she brought the swing to a defiant halt.

"Uh, hi. My name is Rosarita, but you can call me Rosa." Her voice quivered as the barely audible words finally came out. As she spoke, she visibly braced herself for the inevitable laughter that she knew was soon to follow. But as she gazed at Nancy with a little suspicion, Rosa saw only a slight smile forming on the girls lips.

"Hey, you sound a lot like Carmella. She was a friend I had here last year. Where are you from, are you staying, I sure hope so", her friendly words tumbling out in one big sentence. "Carmella was one of my best friends, but she had to move back to Mexico. Want to play with me? C'mon, let's go and play with some of the other kids, too." She rattled on as she beckoned Rosa to follow her. By this time, Nancy's smile had erupted into full fledge laughter, but Rosa knew instinctively that her laugh was a joyful, friendly laugh and not meant to be anything else.

Rosa shivered involuntarily. An unaccustomed sigh of relief came over her. Her dark oval eyes once again blinked back the wet moisture of her salty tears. But, like Nancy's laughter, these tears were welcome tears of joy. Rosa quickly jumped off the swing and happily followed the laughing girl.




I have worked as a teacher's aide in a school district where I saw this scenario more than once among the young children of the migrant farmers in the area. I was always happy to see that most of the kids in that area were willing to accept each new girl or boy that came into our school. I wanted to paint a picture of the frustration and fear that can be quickly changed into happiness and acceptance.
And a very big thank you to VMarguarite for her beautiful picture that adds so much to my story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. gramalot8 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
gramalot8 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.