Romance Fiction posted June 5, 2010 Chapters:  ...48 49 -50- 51 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Steven has an idea.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chaper 15; part 2

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
Each group of men returned as the moon rose over the mountains without finding any information about Leya. Ralph ordered a breakfast buffet, and they ate while discussing where the cartel could have hidden Leya.

Matt watched Steven walk outside without eating. He fixed a plate then followed him. Steven stood by an old tree as moisture filled his eyes. Matt stood beside him. "You need to eat. You won't be any good to your wife if you're sick."

"If I hadn't walked out on her, she'd be at the safe house." He took the offered plate.

"Probably, but we don't know what would've happened. Carlos needs Leya. They could've attacked the safe house and kidnapped her. You can't blame yourself."

Steven ran his fingers through his short auburn hair. "The last thing she asked me ...," his voice broke, and it was a second or two before he could continue, "was if I thought love ever ended." He paused. "I told her true love never ends."

"It sounds like she was accepting your apology. I think she was ready to return with you."

"I'm never letting her out of my sight again. She has no choice but to come home with me."

Matt chuckled. "She'll love the no choice part. Are you sure about that?"

"The coffee's cold." After taking a drink of coffee, Steven spit it on the ground. "As long as she agrees to come with me, she can have a choice." He glanced at Matt. "I can't begin to describe the pain in my gut. I feel like somebody reached inside my chest and ripped my heart out."

Matt patted Steven's back. "I understand. Just keep praying she's safe and we find her before Carlos gets to her."

"Leya would die before she'd marry him."

"I know." He studied the door. "You need to come inside. You stand in Carlos' way. He can't marry Leya as long as you're married to her. The easiest way to solve that problem is to kill you."

"I don't feel like socializing."

"I'm sure the men understand. They care about both of you. This has them upset too."

Steven nodded and followed Matt into the conference room.

*****
A tense silence filled the room. The men hated not knowing where to look. The idleness was hard. Finally Michael stood. "Hey Bob, remember that barn we saw by the last cabin? Let's go search it again. I can't just stand around." They left.

Eric tapped Geoff on the back. "Let's look around town. She might be right under our noses."

"Leya's too beautiful for somebody not to notice. Let's find somewhere to look. I can't stand sitting around and waiting for something to happen," Jim said as he opened the door for Derek.

Matt and Ralph studied the maps, hoping to find a clue.

After a few hours, each pair of men returned without finding clues as to where Leya might be.

Steven sat at the table with his head in his hands praying for his wife's safety. He jumped up. "I know where they're keeping her!" He went to the maps and searched for the Task Force cabin. Once he found it, he moved his finger across the map looking for the small lake where he'd fished. "The cabin's too small to be on the map but she's here."

The men circled around him.

"Last Thursday, fish weren't biting, so I took a walk." Steven rubbed the back of his neck. "I remember seeing this small one room abandoned cabin. The grass had grown up. I had a weird feeling about it. I can't explain it but it was like it would somehow mean something to me. I'm positive that's where they're holding Leya."

Matt scanned the map. "I say we send a scouting team and see how many men and what type of weapons they have. We need to know what we're dealing with before we rescue her."

Ralph looked dubious, as did the rest of the team.

Matt addressed them, "The longer I'm at this job, the one thing I've learned is sometimes listening to your heart is the right thing to do. I believe Steven knows exactly where she is."

Michael and Bob volunteered to scout out the cabin. While they were gone, Eric received a phone call stating Carlos was en-route to the United States. The men knew time was now officially an issue.

*****
The sun shone straight over the mountains. Michael and Bob returned, reporting three Hispanic men guarded the outside of the cabin and it appeared four were on the inside.

"We didn't see her, but there's no doubt the men were guarding someone and there's an older white Ford Explorer hidden under some brush." Michael set his Barrett M107 down.

After discussing the weapons they'd seen, M4's were passed out to each man. Before they left, Matt assigned specific duties to each man. Communication headsets were handed out so direct contact could be maintained at all times within the group. He ignored Steven.

Steven glared at Matt. "I'm going."

"I don't think that's a smart thing to do. Carlos wants you dead. You'll be his first target. As soon as Leya's safe, we'll bring her here."

Steven shoved his sleeves to his elbows. "You need to understand I'm going! Leya's in this mess because of me." He paused, before he added, "You, of all people, I thought would understand."

Matt sighed. "All right, but I want to go on record saying I think you should stay back."

After he checked his SIG Sauer 9mm, he said, "Your objection is noted." He walked away but stopped checking to make sure his knife was secure in the back of his jeans, then grabbed a headset. "Let's move."



Recognized


Thank you Bull Rhino for your lovely artwork, 'Lonely'. Steven is upset and goes outside to stand under a tree. I imagine that tree resembling the one in the artwork.
I am having surgery to repair two torn tendens in my left ankle this Thursday. I had hoped to finish this manuscript before the surgery. I have one more post left after this one. I won't promise to get it posted by Thursday, but I am going to do my best. The doctor is telling me I won't be allowed to put any weight on my ankle for 6 weeks. I can't imagine me staying down for 6 weeks, or my boys doing without me for 6 weeks, they might just starve. I have a laptop so I am hoping to review and post while in bed. What else am I supposed to do? I prefer my PC. Thank you for staying with me during this. I appreciate your help and support. I was going to immediately start posting my next novel, but I have written a short story that I will post in two parts, following that I will start my next novel.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.