Spiritual Flash Fiction posted May 9, 2010


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paved With Intentions or Streets of Gold?

Pavement Maintenance

by Katiesherrill

I'm a people pleaser. My husband says I care too much about what other people think. He is probably right. I fear saying the wrong thing or keeping quiet when I really need to say a kind word.

There are people in my life who I know are lonely, and hurting in some way, I tell myself to give them a call. It wouldn't take much to send a card or a quick note to say I'm thinking of them. This is embarrassing to admit, more times than not, my intentions go undone. What's wrong with me? Fear holds me back. I'm afraid of messing up.

Have you heard the phrase, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions?" I always interpreted this to mean, that while our actions might have had a positive intent, the end result was not so positive.

As I look closely at this saying I see another meaning. Many of us go through life with a list of things we intend to do. Cleaning out the garage or losing weight often makes the list. Some of the things on our list are harmless and won't have a significant impact if left undone, while other things could have a lasting effect.

Recently, I started seeing this through the lens of faith. I often let fear overpower my faith and I don't do what I want to. I can write about God in my poetry and short stories. But when there is someone close to me, like a family member, who doesn't know God, I freeze. I want to tell them, but I am overcome with fear. Will they reject me? Will I know what to say if they ask questions?

Several years back my uncle, who was dying, stayed with my parents for a month. During that time I told myself to talk to him about God. I wanted him to know how much God loved him, but I allowed fear to stop me until the day before he was to return home. We started to talk and like always fear crept in. Pushing the fear down I told him I loved him, God loved him and I wanted him to get to know both of us better.

Our conversation took off from there. It was amazing. He ended up staying and lived with my parents for over a year. My family was able to talk to him about God's work in their lives. My uncle accepted Christ into his life before he died. I am grateful that my intentions didn't go undone because of my fear.

We all have our reasons for not following through with the things we intend to do. Fear is my main reason. I have to remind myself daily that when it comes to matters of eternity, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, and I would rather people walk on streets of gold.



Good Intentions - Bad Results contest entry

Recognized


Contest entry on the phrase "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Street of gold, is referring to the saying that heaven is paved with streets of gold.

Between 200-500 words: word count 486

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Katiesherrill All rights reserved.
Katiesherrill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.