Romance Fiction posted May 9, 2010 Chapters:  ...44 45 -46- 47... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Steven attempts to apologize.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter 13; part 4

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
When Steven finished with the sheriff, he ran outside and stood in the center of the sidewalk. He looked to the right, then to the left. Where did Leya go?

Matt stood beside him. "You going after her?"

"Yep. I have some serious groveling to do." He took a deep breath. "All of this is my fault." He rubbed the back of his neck. "Peggy shouldn't have been in my apartment."

"But nothing happened."

"I know, but if I put myself in Leya's place, I'd be furious. Especially with everything that bitch put her through. If it would've had been anybody else, then things would be different--but Peggy!"

Steven spotted Leya crossing the street in the next block to his left. "There she is." He pointed in her direction.

Steven and Matt dodged cars rushing toward her. When Steven was within a half a block, his steps slowed. "Leya, we need to talk."

She stopped but kept her back to him.

When she didn't turn around, Steven moved closer, but hesitated.

Matt tapped his shoulder and motioned with his head for him to continue.

Steven spoke softly, "I'm sorry for not giving you the opportunity to explain. Hell, I'm genuinely sorry for everything I've done or that's happened the past three days. Everything that's happened is related to the poor choices I've made."

He gulped and then continued, "I know I've hurt you. Please accept my apology. If you can't, right now, at least give me the opportunity to beg for forgiveness."

She didn't turn around.

Steven blew out a deep breath. "Please turn around. I know your eyes can read my deepest thoughts. You'll see how much I love you." He waited. Silence. "Leya, please."

Hesitantly, she faced him.

His heart broke when he saw tears flowing down her cheeks. I caused that pain. When he stepped toward her, she backed away.

Leya whispered, "Please--don't come any closer." She glanced away from him. "You can say whatever you have to say from there."

"I love you. Please come home with me."

"I don't have a home."

"If you'll give us a chance, we'll build one together." He took off his jacket. "You're freezing. Where's your jacket?" I bought her one a few days ago.

"When I left the safe house, I didn't take anything I didn't come with, except for $450 and a cell phone." Fumbling through her purse, she held out the remainder of the cash and the cell phone. "Here's what I have left. I'll repay everything I spent, plus the money I spent on the plane ticket to Colombia."

She paused and closed her eyes. "I need to find a job first, so it'll take time. You can add any interest you feel's appropriate. I used the cell phone to make flight reservations and call my mother."

Steven shook his head and ran his fingers through his short hair. She's really leaving. "Don't worry about the money. I'll take care of it."

Matt interrupted him, "I've already put the money back in the Task Force fund."

Leya glanced at him. "Thank you. I'll make sure you're repaid."

"Don't worry about it." Matt's voice had a harsh tone.

Steven stepped closer to Leya, holding his jacket out. "Let me put this around you. You're shivering.

"No, I'm ...."

Before she had a chance to finish what she was about to say, she started to sway in a faint, but Steven grabbed her. "Get the car."

They drove to the nearest hospital.

*****
After the doctor examined her, he said, "Mrs. Albright fainted because she hasn't eaten in a few days and hasn't had enough sleep."

The two men sat in Leya's room. Steven sat on the right side of her bed and Matt on the left. Steven took her hand in his, and his breath caught in his throat as he watched her lying so still and silent in bed. "Matt?" When his friend looked in his direction, Steven asked, "How'd we get to this point and what do I do now?"

"You got here because of your male ego. It tends to get us in a lot of trouble. You've already apologized, so I guess you keep it up and pray she'll eventually accept it."

"You don't have a magic formula that helps women accept our apologies?"

Matt grinned. "I wish I did. Dani and I have been married for over three years and I still can't get it right." He stared toward the door. "Matter-of-fact, I'd better call her or I'll be apologizing again." He took his cell phone from his jeans' pocket and walked into the hall.

Steven leaned down and laid his forehead on her arm. "I love you so much. I'm so sorry for everything."

Leya opened her eyes. "Where am I?"

Relieved to see her conscious, he said, "You're in a hospital. You fainted because you haven't eaten or gotten enough sleep. In plain English, you're worn out. I'm here because I love you." He stared into her eyes, hoping she'd read his and believe him. "And I'm not leaving Wyoming without you."

When she struggled to sit up, Steven helped her by adjusting the pillow. After she was comfortable, she took a drink of water, then addressed him. "Because I'm still in love with you, I can't go back to the safe house with you."

"That doesn't make sense. If you love me, why can't we start over?"

"When you walked out on me, you broke my heart. I can't go through that pain again." She stared into his eyes. "Can you guarantee you won't do it again?"

He picked up her hand and gently kissed it. "No, I can't promise I won't do something stupid again. I'm human. But I will always love you. Please come home with me."

Matt entered the room. "Hi Leya. How do you feel?"

She smiled. "So you're here too. I feel pretty good."

Matt kissed her cheek. "Yes, I'm here too. One of the Task Force men, George Wright, is looking for an apartment that offers enough security where you'll be safe. That way you and Steven won't have to live with a group of men, and you can start your life together as a couple."

The doctor walked in and the two men left.

After the doctor left, Matt returned to Leya's room just ahead of Steven. "I need to get back to Dani but I feel confident you and Steven will work things out." He kissed her cheek, then turned toward Steven. "If you need anything you know where to find me." He exited the room.

She exhaled a deep breath.

Steven sat on the bed beside her. "Don't look so frustrated." He picked up her hand. "I'm glad the doctor wants you to spend the night in the hospital. It gives me more opportunity to grovel. Maybe I'll wear you down, and you'll accept my apology."

She gave him a partial smile. "You're not going to give up, are you?"

"Nope, the one thing I'm good at is persistence." He raised her hand and kissed her fingers. "Am I wearing you down, yet?" He noticed her wedding ring.

"No, I still remember how hurt I was when you wouldn't give me the opportunity to explain." She paused before she continued, "You didn't even look back."

"If I had to do it over again, I'd never have left your room. I would've listened."

"You didn't trust me enough to let me explain," she interrupted. "You immediately thought the worst of me."

Ouch! That hurt. "You're right. I thought you took advantage of my love."

He tried to find the words. "Once I took time to think, I realized how wrong I was and you did, no, do love me." He thought a minute. "You admitted a little while ago you have feelings for me."

Hesitating, not certain how to continue, he touched her wedding ring. "You're wearing my ring."

She turned away from him. "I know. I love you and always will."



Recognized


Thank you Hotshot for your artwork 'Miner's City'. I am sorry for the tardiness of my post. I've been battling a cold all week and finally went to the doctor to find out my cold was bronchitis and 'a thing going on with my tonsils'. Not sure what that's about, but I hope the antibotics do their job. I want to thank my fans for continuing to read my posts. I appreciate your time and help.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.