General Fiction posted April 21, 2010


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
what drives children to drink

Young Alcoholic

by AlvinTEthington

It was about 11 p.m. Mommy had gone to bed, and Daddy was out at the bars. He never visited me until he came home from the bars. He always had liquor on his breath.

He promised to make me not tell. He said horrible things would happen to me, such as they would put me in an orphanage for troubled children. I hated his visits.

But I had found a way around it. I got drunk, too, although I was only eight years old. I would go to the liquor cabinet after Mommy went to sleep and before Daddy got home and take out some vodka. That way Daddy didn't know I was drunk and the pain didn't hurt so much.



"Jennifer! What are you doing?"

"Having a drink, Mother. Isn't that clear?"

"Why, in God's name?"

"To lessen the pain of Daddy's visits."

"Daddy's visits? What do you mean, child?"

I passed out on the couch.




Through the eyes of a child writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story (100-500 words). The story must include a child's perspective of an object or situation. The story may be told from the viewpoint of the child, or an adult.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. AlvinTEthington All rights reserved.
AlvinTEthington has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.