General Fiction posted February 25, 2010 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When your life is turned upside down.....

A chapter in the book Short Stories

It Can't Be!

by Begin Again













Cherry blossoms were exploding in fragrant bloom. The warm spring sun glistened across the lake. It was a beautiful day, but Addison's heart was laden with sadness. Her body trembled as she watched Will jog toward her, knowing what she had to do.

Taking several deep breaths before kissing Addison's cheek, Will plopped down beside her on the park bench.

"Guess I'm still out of shape." A low chuckle rumbled across his lips as he poked her with his elbow. "Bet I can still beat you though."

Addison's warm smile lit up her face. "In your wildest dreams, maybe."

She'd met Will on the jogging track a few months before his parents were killed in an airplane crash. She'd been by his side constantly, helping him deal with the tragic loss. Sometimes, she imagined them being together forever, though Will had never indicated that he wanted anything more. They were best friends, but not lovers.

Today, she was going to send him away.

"Penny for your thoughts,"  Will prodded.

Addison hadn't realized she'd been daydreaming. She smiled at him, but her eyes had lost their sparkle.

You can do this. It's the right thing to do. Just say it!

"I've decided to take that job in Chicago." There it was done. She'd started the ball rolling and she couldn't turn back now.

"What? When did you change your mind?" She could see confusion written all over his face.

"It's a good opportunity. I don't want to look back and have regrets."

"But -"

"Shhhh ... let me finish, Will."

"Fine, but I thought -"

"The letter changed everything." Addison pulled the crumpled sheet of paper from her purse and carefully smoothed out the wrinkles. "Read it, Will."

"No, I don't care what it says. They're wrong. My parents were killed in an airplane accident a year ago."

"Your adopted parents."  Addison understood his need to hang on to the past, but she, also, knew the letter would haunt him.

"No, they would have told me if I was adopted. That letter is a mistake." Will walked away from the park bench, distancing himself from Addison and the letter. His breathing was ragged.

"They loved you, Will. You were their only child. Nothing will ever change that."

"Then why bring up the letter? I threw it away, didn't I?" He glared at the piece of paper in her hand.

"I know you. Whether you want to admit it or not, the unknown possibility is eating at you."

"What if it is? The woman who gave birth to me gave me away. She didn't want me. Why should I care about my past, if she didn't?"

"You don't know if she didn't care. There could be a good reason why she gave you up for adoption."

"It doesn't matter. No one cares about the past."

"Someone did or they wouldn't have sent the letter. You have fourteen days to contact the law firm. I think you should do it."

"Why?"

"The letter says you inherited some property. I think you should at least see it. If you don't want it after that, sell it or give it away, but you'll have closed the door on the past."

"I don't know these people. Why would they even leave me property? It's probably a hoax."

"You won't know until you see the lawyers, Will." She took his hand in hers, tugging gently. "Come on, let's walk and enjoy the day. Who knows what tomorrow will bring."


Two weeks later, the law offices of Radisson & James awarded William Dennis Tremont the deed to five acres of land in rural Whipton County, previously owned by William A. Dennison. Apologetic, Tom Radisson explained client privilege prevented him from providing any further information, but Will was free to do whatever he wanted with the property.

After a five-hour drive through winding countryside, Will stood in the middle of Whipton, population 319. The main street was three blocks long.

This is crazy! I've stepped back in time to Mayberry U.S.A. What am I doing here?

Old-fashioned storefronts lined the street. Sadie's Boarding House, complete with white picket fence and flower boxes, proudly sat at the end of the block. A boy and his dog raced down the street, calling hello to two elderly men sitting outside the Barbershop. A few cars were parked on the street.

During the drive, he'd clearly made the decision to sell the property, but --

It's just a piece of land that belonged to some person that I never knew. It's nothing to me. I'll get directions, see it, and be on my way back home, where I belong.

Deciding he needed a coke to quench his thirst, he headed toward Tanner's Country Store.

As he entered, a tiny bell tinkled above his head. A man, wearing bibbed overalls and chewing on a toothpick, was straightening a row of canned goods. He looked up and smiled as Will closed the door.

"Howdy, young man." His voice was friendly.

"Hi!" Will answered as he surveyed the store.

"Can I help you with something?" 

"Just need a Coke." Will pulled one out of the cooler. "Could use some directions, too, I guess."

"Where you looking to go?" The man's cool gray eyes studied the stranger.

"Are you familiar with the Dennison property?"

"Yeah, everybody knows the Dennison place." The man stroked his chin before continuing, "What'd be your interest in that old place?"

"Well, I'm the new owner."

"Hmmm, old man Dennison's been dead for nigh on five years. You just now getting around to inspecting the place?"

"Yeah, I guess William Dennison left instructions with a law firm to notify me on my twenty-first birthday."

"Twenty-one, you say." The man appeared to mull something over before speaking again. "Well, my daughter, Kate, she'll be able to give you directions." He pointed toward the pony-tailed girl cheerfully chattering with a woman at the counter.

"Thanks."  Will headed for the counter.

"Don't worry about the Coke. It's on the house." He nodded at Will and returned to the shelves.


As Will approached the checkout counter, Kate turned and flashed a smile in his direction. Unexplainable warmth enveloped his body, as he stood, mesmerized.

"Did you need something?" When he didn't respond, she asked again, "Can I help you?"

"Oh ... Oh, I'm sorry. Must have caught me daydreaming." He handed her the bottle of Coke.

"Happens a lot around here. Daddy always says it's something in the water." She laughed and rang up his purchase. "That'll be a dollar."

Will fished in his pants pocket and pulled out a crumpled dollar bill. He tried to smooth it out before handing her the bill. Her fingers brushed against his, sending an electric current rushing through his body. He was stunned. Never had a girl affected him this way.

"Thank you." She handed Will his receipt. When he didn't move, she added, "Was there something else?"

"Uuhhh -" He could feel the heat creeping up his neck as he struggled to talk.

Get it together, man. She's just a girl.

Kate's father saved him from further embarrassment. "Katie, this young man needs directions to the ole Dennison place."

"Really? Hasn't been anyone living there for years. Well,  except for a ghost."

"Ghost?" Will laughed. "Is this some standing joke for the greenhorns that pass through town?"

"No way, son, ask anybody in town. They'll tell you the old place is haunted. Seen the lights myself. Some say it's Old Man Dennison himself."

Are these people nuts? Imagine thinking my grandfather's a ghost.

"What's your interest in the place? Are you some long lost relative or something?"

"Something like that. I'm the new owner ... temporarily."

"Temporarily? Why's that?" Kate gave him a quizzical look.

"It's a long story." Will shrugged his shoulders, adding, "I'm just here to take a quick look at the property and then head back home."

"Well, it is out a ways. If you'd like, I'll be done working in an hour and I'd be happy to take you there. Wouldn't want you getting lost on these backroads, you know."

Will felt a strange queasy feeling when she smiled at him. Chalking it up to hunger, he rubbed his stomach as he answered, "Sure, that would be great. I can grab a quick lunch while I wait."

"Mama's Chow House is in the next block. She's got the best food ever. There's a park right next to her place."

"Sounds perfect. I'll meet you there in about an hour."

A customer approached the counter with a basket of groceries and Kate immediately turned to help her, smiling and chatting.

Will called, "See ya then." Kate looked his way, waved, and continued checking out the woman. With nothing left to do or say, he headed for the exit.

Outside the store, Kate's dad and another elderly man were playing a game of checkers. They both looked up from the game as the screen door opened.

"Pappy, this here is the young man I was telling you about. Sorry, didn't catch your name."

Will extended his hand to Pappy. "William Tremont, sir."

Pappy's grip was firm and friendly. His long, bushy white beard covered most of his face, except for his twinkling blue eyes. At first glance, Will thought he reminded him of Santa Claus.

"Own the Dennison property, do you? Lot a history in that old place. Back when I was young and my missus was still alive, Bill and Sally'd have barbeques there almost every weekend. A few of us would get our fiddles going and we'd have a good ole hoe-down going in no time. Yeah, those sure were the days. But when Sally died, might as well say Bill died right along with her. He was never the same. Was a real shame how the family just fell apart, especially after --" Pappy tinkered with one of the checker pieces, "Listen to me, rattling on about stuff you probably have no interest in."

"No, I'm a history buff. I'm always interested in hearing about how people lived. You were saying -"

Curious, Will wanted the old man to finish his sentence, but Kate's dad cut in, "Yeah, Kate and I were telling him the old place was haunted."

"Sam, don't be scaring the boy off before he even sees the place. That's going to scare him enough."

"Oh, I'm not staying." The statement sounded harsh even to Will's own ears.

Pappy rocked back on his chair, looking at Will with a keen eye. "Ya bought the place without seeing it and you're not planning on staying. That's a bit strange, son."

Will scuffed his shoe against the sidewalk. He hadn't planned to share the details, but something told him that Pappy could spot a lie a mile away. "Well, actually, I ... I, umm, inherited it."

His words hung in the air. Pappy and Sam studied him for a moment before Pappy spoke again, "You're kin to Bill Dennison?"

"No ... well, maybe." Tiny sweat beads dotted his forehead and he wiped them away with his hand. "Until a few weeks ago, I'd never heard of the Dennison family. On my twenty-first birthday, a law office sent me a letter and said I'd inherited the property."

"Hmmm ... twenty-one, you say. Hope you don't mind me asking, but who's your mom and dad, son?"

"Beth and Harry Tremont, sir." The names just naturally rolled off his lips. They'd been his parents for his whole life.

"Tremont, you say. Thought I knew all of Bill's relations. Don't recall a Tremont though."

"No, sir. They weren't related to the Dennison's." The two men looked expectantly at him, waiting for him to clarify the situation. "On my birthday, I also discovered I was adopted."

"Quite a bombshell for you then. Guess your parents had a bit of explaining to do. You not knowing you were adopted and all."

"Actually, they were killed in a plane crash a year ago. So I couldn't ask them about it."

"Sorry to hear that son."  Pappy shook his head in understanding.

"Well, I guess I better grab a sandwich. Kate's offered to show me the place when she gets off work."

"Sure, sure, Mama's Chow House -"

"Yeah, that's where Kate told me to go, too. Nice talking to you."

Sam and Pappy watched Will walk away.

"You thinking what I'm thinking, Pappy?" Sam continued to watch the back of Will as he continued down the block.

"That boy's Bill's grandson, for sure. He's a spittin' image of him when we was young."

"Yeah, he sure took me by surprise when he walked into the store. Couldn't believe the resemblance." Sam moved one of his checker pieces on the board. "You gonna play or jaw all day?"

Pappy's belly shook as he laughed at his friend, "Whatcha in such a big hurry for, Sam?" He moved his checker, jumping two of Sam's checkers. "King me."

"Think we should've mentioned Mary?"   Sam moved another checker.

"Naw, the boy's had a heap of livin' dropped on his shoulders already. Give him time to decide just how much he wants to know."

"Yeah, yer probably right. No need stickin' our noses where they aren't wanted."

                                        ********************

"Don't see too many strangers in this town." Hannah handed Will a brown paper bag with his hot turkey sandwich and chips. "You look familiar, got any kin around here?"

"Naw, just passing through." Will gave her the three dollars for his meal.

"Sure thing." Hannah continued studying him. "Enjoy your stay. We're right friendly people once you get to know us. Stop back again."

"Yeah, I was down at the country store. Nice people, but like I said, I'm just passing through." Nothing was going as planned. This was supposed to be a quick trip, in and out before anyone even knew or cared that he had been there. Instead, he'd met some nice people; people with information he wasn't sure he wanted.

A few minutes later, he sat at a picnic table in the park, eating the hot turkey sandwich and drinking a Coke. He couldn't stop thinking about the information he'd learned from Pappy and Sam. Before Bill Dennison was just a name on a piece of paper, but now it had a life attached to it. A life that was connected to his own.

Finishing his lunch, he tossed the paper bag in a waste can and leaned back to enjoy the warm sun on his face. Thoughts of Kate drifted through his head.

Too bad I'm not staying. I'd like to get to know her, I think.

He sat soaking in the sun while he waited for Kate. For some unexplainable reason, he suddenly felt as if someone was watching him. Opening his eyes, he looked around the park. Two children were swinging while their mother stood nearby watching them. He could see a jogger doing his stretching exercises on the running path. Nobody appeared to be looking his way.

Man, you're losing it! You better take a look at this place and get out of town, before you go crazy.

He leaned back and closed his eyes. The feeling was there again. Opening his eyes, he saw a woman looking at him. She wore a gray dress that had long past seen its better days. It skimmed the ground as she walked. A black shawl covered her head, hiding most of her face. Their eyes connected for a moment before she gathered up her dress and hurried away.

"Will ... Will." He heard Kate's voice calling him and turned to wave at her. When he looked back, the woman was gone. Shrugging, he watched Kate hurry toward him. Her blonde ponytail swayed back and forth, as she approached. Once again, he was overwhelmed by the queasy feeling he felt when he saw her.

"I stopped by Hannah's place. She said you got a sandwich." Kate was finishing a bag of chips. "Are you ready to go?"

"I'm ready." 

They shared a wonderful ride, talking like old friends. Kate told him bits and pieces of the town's history as they passed every home. By the time the car pulled into what was once a gravel driveway, he felt as if he'd known the town all his life. Kate's warm, friendly personality made him feel at ease for the first time in weeks.

"The house is just behind those pine trees." Kate pointed at a clump of towering pines. Tall prairie grass covered most of the land.

Will took a deep breath, suddenly apprehensive. He knew seeing the house would make everything real. His life, as he'd once known it, would never be the same.

"Let's go." They walked through the prairie grass and the trees.

On the other side of the trees, a two-story house, void of paint, wearily awaited. Whether by vandalism, weather or time, the life had slowly seeped out of the house. Its windows were shattered, the once welcoming front door hung lopsided by one hinge, and pieces of shingles lay scattered around the ground. Instead of being horrified, Will found himself trying to imagine the barbeques, people dancing, and the happy times Pappy had mentioned earlier.

Unable to read Will's look, Kate questioned him. "Do you want to go in?"

"Is it safe?" The house looked as if it would collapse with a good wind.

"Kids have been running in and out of it for years. The old house had some good bones, I guess."

"Okay then, I've come this far. Might as well take a look inside."

Brushing a cobweb away from the door, they stepped into the house. The wood floor moaned under their feet, but held firm. Broken pieces of furniture were scattered around the first room. A huge fireplace covered most of one wall. A black cast-iron kettle still hung over the burnt ashes.

As they moved from room to room, brushing away cobwebs, they saw remnants of the lives of the people who'd called this home. Books lay on the library shelves, some torn and discarded by careless children. Well-worn pots and pans no longer lined the cupboards; instead, they lay amidst the dust and dirt on the floor. Pieces of broken china and tarnished silverware were scattered everywhere. An old four-poster bed stood in the corner of one bedroom. A rocking chair and a small table sat alone in another bedroom.

Will pulled on a door. "What's in here?" When it wouldn't open, he pulled harder. Curious as to why the door wouldn't open, he examined it. At the top of the doorframe, two bolts were slipped through a hinge, making small locks. He looked around for something to knock the rusted bolts loose.

"Will this work?" Kate handed him a small iron ladle.

After several hard pounds, the first bolt slipped out. Will quickly pounded the other one loose. Opening the door, he could see a stairway leading to what appeared to be the attic. Thick cobwebs hung across the opening. Using the ladle, he cleared the way until they were able to reach the room above. The sun filtered through one of the remaining windowpanes. An old trunk covered with layers of dust was by the window.

Brushing some of the dust away with his hands, they both coughed and choked. He lifted the lid of the trunk. Inside, Will found the life he'd never known.

Stacks and stacks of pictures filled the trunk. On top was an envelope with his name. His hand trembled as he picked it up, holding it.

"How could this old house have an envelope with your name on it, Will?" Kate was confused and very inquisitive.

He sighed and bit his lip before answering. "I'm told that William Dennison was my grandfather. Until my last birthday, I never knew I was adopted. He left this property to me when he died, but I wasn't supposed to receive it until I was twenty one."

"Oh my, what a shock this all must be to you." Kate reached out and touched his arm. "Are you okay?"

Will nodded, tapping the envelope against his fingers.

"Are you going to open it?" She bent over and picked up a 5x7 photo. "Oh my gosh, Will, I think this is a younger picture of your grandfather. He looks just like you." She handed the picture to him.

Except for the bib overalls, Will could have posed for the picture. He was amazed at the uncanny resemblance. "I've been telling myself this was all a mistake, but I guess this kind of proves that wrong, doesn't it?"

"Open the envelope, Will."

His hands shook as he lifted the flap of the envelope and slipped the single slip of paper out of it. He unfolded it and began to read,


My dear Grandson,

If you are reading this, you've discovered a family you didn't know and have come in search of answers. I wasn't sure whether you'd want to know about the past so before my death, I told Tom, the lawyer you saw, not to give you any information. I figured if you were interested, you'd come find the old homestead by yourself. If not, it was best to leave it alone.

This old house was once filled with love and happiness. Your grandmother was the greatest woman that ever walked this earth. A bout of pneumonia stole her life and it might as well have taken mine as well. I lost my will to live and I'm ashamed to say that I sorely neglected your mama. She was fifteen, a mere child herself. When I discovered she was with child, I went crazy. Her dear mother would have been terribly ashamed of my actions and so am I.

At the time, I thought I was doing the right thing, but regretfully, I was wrong. I forced her to give you up for adoption. Your mama cried for days and days, refusing to eat. One day, she was gone and I never ever heard from her again. Only then, after losing my own child, did I understand her loss. Over the years, my friend, Tom, was able to locate you and kept me informed of your successes. My punishment was never being able to talk to you or to tell you how sorry I was.

I never did find your mother. Guess she just couldn't forgive me for what I'd done. I wished I'd been able to tell her what a fine young man you'd become. Maybe it would have eased some of her pain.

Before I died, I tried to make amends with the Lord, knowing it was the only way I'd be seeing my sweet beloved Sally again. I hope this letter helps you know that you were loved, son, and that your mama loved you with all her heart.

Your grandfather,
William Dennison


Will was unaware of the tears streaming down his face. He handed the letter to Kate and stepped away. His body was trembling as he stared out the window, trying to digest what the letter had said. His mother had loved him and been forced to give him up. She'd given up her own family because of it. For the first time, he wondered about her,

After what seemed like hours, Kate finally touched his arm, "Will, it's starting to get dark. We really should go. Do you want to take the trunk with you?"

Still overcome with the day's events, he shook his head and simply started back down the stairway.

The trip back to town was entirely different from when they'd traveled the road earlier. Will was lost in his own thoughts, unable to share them with Kate. She drove back to town, letting him stare blindly out the window.

She parked her car in front of the grocery store, not sure what to say or do. Will broke the silence.

"Kate, I have to go back. I should have taken the trunk with me."

"It's getting dark. Wouldn't you rather get a room at Sadie's and go back tomorrow in the daylight?"

"No, I can't explain it, but I know I shouldn't have left that trunk there. I've got to go back now."

"Well, I can't let you go alone. You'll get lost on these backroads, especially at night. If you're sure, let's go."

He reached across the car and took her hand in his hand. "Thanks for understanding."

She squeezed his hand and smiled. "You've had a big shock today. I don't think I'd be thinking too straight either." With that, she started the car and headed back to the Dennison homestead.

For the second time that day, Kate pulled her car into the grassy driveway and parked. As they climbed out, Will peered through the trees. "Kate, is that a light down there?"

She grabbed his arm. "Told you the place was haunted. Let's come back tomorrow."

"It's probably just some kids, Kate. I don't believe in ghosts." He took a few steps toward the pine trees, but Kate didn't follow. "Are you coming or do you want to wait in the car?"

Kate stiffened her back and pushed out her chin. "If you aren't afraid, I guess I'm not either." Her trembling body told him otherwise as she took his arm.

They stopped outside the house, listening for any noise. The light flickered in the upstairs bedroom. Slowly, they entered the house and inched their way up the stairs. The old floorboards moaned.

Outside the bedroom door, Will and Kate listened. They could hear a soft voice singing what sounded like a lullaby. Will pushed the door open.

Washed by the lantern's glow, a woman sat in the rocking chair, cradling a baby. and softly singing. Will recognized the long gray dress and the black shawl wrapped around the baby. As he moved closer, he could see the baby was a doll. The woman seemed oblivious of the fact that they were in the room.

Without thinking, he knelt beside the rocker and gently touched the woman's arm. She turned her head to look at him, but didn't say a word.

"It's getting cold, Mom. We should really be going home." The words seemed so natural as they rolled off his lips.

"Do I know you?" Her tired eyes searched his face. "You look like someone I knew once, a long time ago."

"I'm your son." Will couldn't stop the tears. He wasn't prepared for the rush of feelings that swept over him. "I'm the child you had to give away."

Mary touched his cheek, her eyes straining to see his face. Brushing his tears aside, she spoke, "Billy ... my sweet baby boy." Tears trickled down her face. "It can't be."

"Will took her hand in his and pressed his lips against it. "Yes, I'm your son, Mom. My friends call me Will."

"Oh of course, how silly of me. I was just rocking and dreaming of days long ago." Her eyes searched his. "Am I dreaming now?"

"No, you're not dreaming. I'm your son, Billy, and this is Kate."

Mary lifted her face to look at Kate, who was crying. too, realizing how important this moment was to both of them. A tiny smile touched Mary's lips, "You're a pretty girl. I always hoped Billy would marry a pretty girl."

Will's eyes met Kate's and a warm blush spread across her cheeks. "You've a wonderful son, Mary."

Together, Kate and Will helped Mary out of the rocker. Kate carried the lantern while Will and his mother maneuvered the old stairway and headed to the car.

Once settling his mother in the backseat of the car, Will and Kate took one last look back at the old house. His mind was racing in ten different directions. In one day, he'd become a property owner, found his real mother, and discovered a girl that made his heart sing. Life was looking pretty good.

Smiling at Kate, he climbed into the car. The old place wasn't haunted after all.

Maybe it's time for a fresh beginning for all of us.












This Old House contest entry

Recognized


I apologize for the length of this story. Because it's a contest, I couldn't break it into two parts and the story had a life of it's own. I hope you feel the read was worthwhile.

Thank you for taking the time......
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.