Romance Fiction posted February 20, 2010 Chapters:  ...32 33 -34- 35... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Leya and Steven get closer

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter 9; part two

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
After the doctor's positive report, Steven entered Leya's room. "According to the doc, you're about ready to bust out of this joint."

"Can I get out by the end of the week?"

"I doubt that, but maybe next week." He grinned and held up his cell phone. "But you can call your mom and let her know you're doing better."

The sparkle in her large brown eyes revealed her excitement, as she watched him dial. After reassuring her mother, she handed Steven the phone. He accepted it and continued holding her hand.

"Come closer, please." As he leaned toward her, she used both hands rubbing his five-day growth of razor stubble. "I appreciate the time you've spent with me, but you need to shave, shower, change, and sleep. I'm OK now, so you can leave for a few hours." She glanced at the IV's and the machines attached to her and teased, "I promise I won't go anywhere."

He reached up and scratched his chin. "So you don't want this rubbed against your cheek, huh?"

Her cheeks turned a healthy pink. "You have my permission to leave, but only for--let's say three hours," she teased.

"Only three hours?" he asked playfully. "How am I going to get some sleep in three hours?"

She released a deep breath and pouted her lips. "OK, you win. You can leave until tomorrow morning."

"I'll make a deal with you. I'm sure you'll fall asleep sometime this morning. I'll leave once you're asleep. Deal?"

She tilted her head as she thought, then grinned. "Deal."

"If you promise not to discuss it with anybody, I'll tell you about the safe house we're moving you to." He grinned. "Can you keep a secret?"

"Of course, nobody ever comes to see me except you and Matt."

"True, but nurses and doctors come in and out. You can't say anything around them. Understand?"

After she nodded, he continued, "I think you'll like this place. It's in the country and the house sits on about ten acres. It's a log ranch house with a fireplace. You won't have an upstairs to yourself, but the master bedroom is large and at one end of the house by itself. You'll have that end of the house."

Her eyebrows rose. "If the house has only one story, you could come in through my bedroom window. Nobody would know it."

Her statement confused him. "I'd never come in your room through a window."

She shook her head. "That's not what I meant. A stranger could climb into my room through a window and nobody would know it."

"For a second I thought you were afraid of me. The windows have security locks and alarms. We're not taking any chances with your security."

Her eyes captivated him. Again, they searched his soul, before she said, "I completely trust you."

"I'm glad to hear it." Feeling a desire to kiss her, he swallowed, afraid of where it might lead. He glanced at the IV and then went back to describing the house. "The basement has a built-in pool. The area surrounding the pool has been turned into a gym, so there's a place to workout."

"I love swimming. Can we stop by a store on the way to the house?" She grinned and teased, "Unless you want me to swim nude."

He coughed. "We'll stop by a store, and you can get a conservative swimsuit." The thought of Leya swimming nude, was one he didn't want to have.

"Conservative?" She sighed. "I've seen this cute, little beige crocheted bikini that would look really nice on me."

He glared at her. "You're teasing, right? The men couldn't stand seeing you in a skimpy swimsuit."

"The men?"

He didn't like admitting it but did. "OK, I couldn't stand watching you swim in a skimpy suit. I've already admitted I'm attracted to you and it wouldn't be fair to me. I'm sure the rest of the men would agree."

She patted his arm. "I'm teasing, but the suit is really cute."

"I'm sure it is."

Silence filled the room as Steven watched Leya lost in thought. He took a penny from his pocket and held it toward her. "A penny for your thoughts."

"Nothing. I'm getting drowsy."

"I think there's more going on in that pretty little head of yours than thoughts of sleep, but if you don't want to discuss it, that's OK."

They sat silently for a few minutes, before Leya spoke, "Steven, do you ever plan on getting married or are you a confirmed bachelor?"

He teased, "I'm married to you, remember?" He noticed moisture well in her eyes. "Seriously?" He thought for a few seconds before he answered, "I'm very happy with the way things are right now."

The doctor entered. "Major Albright, I need to run some tests on your wife. She'll probably fall asleep, so you might want to take a break for a few hours."

Steven kissed Leya's hand. "We'll finish this conversation later. I'm going to the Task Force building. Matt and Ralph are in the hall if you need anything."

She nodded in acknowledgement.



Recognized


Again I want to thank all my fans. I could not do this without your continued support.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.