Romance Fiction posted February 13, 2010 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Steven discusses his feelings for Leya.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter 9; part 1

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
CHAPTER NINE

After the doctor and nurse left Leya's room, Matt walked in and stood beside Steven. He placed his hand on Steven's shoulder and spoke in a low voice, "Remember when the Russian Mafia gained control of the Vegas Cartel and shutdown Task Force's main computer?"

"Yep, Dani snuck into the computer lab to repair it. When we discovered where she'd gone and tried to protect her, we were ambushed and she was shot."

"You remember. As I watched her lay comatose in bed, I realized I was in love with the most frustrating lady I'd ever met and couldn't do a damn thing about it."

Steven grinned. "Do you have a reason for sharing this with me?"

"I think you understand why I shared that piece of information with you." Matt chuckled.

Ralph entered and stood inside the doorway. "How's she doing?"

As the nurse chased Matt and Ralph from Leya's room, Matt answered, "Holding her own, but she's still in danger."

*****
A few hours later, Steven closed the door to Leya's room and said to Matt, "A nurse is with her now."

"Want a cup of coffee? It's on me." Matt stood.

At the coffee shop, Matt and Ralph attempted to get Steven's mind off Leya's condition, but couldn't.

Finally, moisture filled Steven's eyes. "How can I trust Leya? Her family tree is full of drug lords. I know my feelings for her are wrong." His elbows rested on the table, as he continued, "I've tried convincing myself there's no way a relationship with this lady can work."

He swallowed and ran his hand through his hair. "I'm in love with Leya. My brain gives me hundreds of warnings daily, hell hourly, but my heart won't listen. What do I do?"

Ralph sighed. "I'm glad you've finally admitted it. Now what are you going to do about it?"

Matt glared at Ralph and shook his head. "You never mince words, do you?"

Steven ignored Matt and stared at Ralph. "I don't have a clue. But I'm positive a team chief for Task Force 385, the ultimate drug fighting government agency, can't be married to Ramon Vegas' granddaughter. Think about the ramifications."

Matt grinned. "Could make for some interesting discussions. Imagine how much fun Congress could have with that, especially when future funding's discussed?" He thought for a few seconds, then said, "Steven, that's not your problem, it's mine. I'll support any decision you make where Leya's concerned, one hundred percent. You know you're like family to me, don't you? Do what's right for you and Leya, and I'll take care of Congress. I'm always ready for a good battle."

Steven gulped the rest of his coffee. "Thanks for your support." He glanced toward the hall. "I need to get back to Leya."

*****
When the doctor left Leya's room, he saw Steven leaning against the wall and said, "Mrs. Albright's vitals have shown a slight improvement. I wonder if allowing you in her room more often could be the difference."

"I don't know but I'm glad she's improving." His lips formed a small smile, still afraid to hope.

As he sat beside Leya, he took her hand. I wonder if Leya could ever love me. All she's ever said is that she thinks I look like a nice person and a hunk. He sighed and smiled. She did say she missed me, but I doubt that translates to love.

As Steven was lost in his thoughts, Leya woke up. "Steven?"

He leaned in closer. "Yes?"

"I just wanted to see your green eyes." She smiled. "I've told you that I've never met anyone with green eyes before, haven't I?"

He grinned. "You did, but I didn't believe you."

She closed her eyes. "It's the truth." She fell back to sleep.

Steven held her hand and didn't leave her side that night. Early the following morning, Matt came in the room. "Steven, get yourself something to eat. You need a break. I'll sit with Leya."

*****
When Leya woke up, she was surprised to see Matt sitting in a chair beside her. "Hello, but why are you here, General Patterson?"

"I've told you to call me Matt and I'm here because I care. Steven spent the night with you. I ordered him to get something to eat. Do you mind if I sit with you?"

"No. I'm just surprised some one with your status would take time to spend with me." She paused, as a nurse brought her something to eat. She couldn't believe Matt helped her sit up in bed and assisted her with breakfast.

"You're a legend in Colombia. My family, of course, hates you, but also respects and fears you. You seem almost normal, not this macho gringo who hates Hispanics and kills them because they're not Americans."

"Wow, I never thought of myself as a legend, but it doesn't sound like much of a compliment." He thought about what to say next. "I'm a normal man. I have a wife and two children. My wife, by the way, is half Italian. Not one hundred percent American." He joked, "Think that's why she's so difficult?"

"You love her very much, and she loves you. It's obvious just watching you two. I wish I could find someone who loves me that much."

"I have confidence you'll find someone who loves you unconditionally. You're a special young lady." He hesitated before he said, "I want to go back to your first statement. I've never killed anyone unless my life or one of team member's lives was first threatened. I don't kill for any other reason, but unfortunately in my line of work sometimes it happens."

"Is Steven in the army?"

"Yes. He's a major and moving up fast. He's my 'go to' guy. He's more than a co-worker or subordinate, he's family. I'd do anything for him." He watched her gulp. "What about that bothers you?"

"I'm not sure." She released a slow breath. "Maybe because I don't want him to dislike me just because of whom I am. I'm not only Roman Vegas's granddaughter but I'm Mestiza." She studied her tanned skin color as she thought about how to word the next sentence. "And since he's in the Army, he may have a conflict with that. Does that make sense?"

Matt sighed. "More sense than you know about."

The doctor walked in and smiled at Leya. "You're making a remarkable recovery. Just yesterday morning you weren't capable of sitting up and eating; let alone carrying on a conversation. How do you feel?"

"Better, but I'm still really tired and have a major headache. When's the headache going to leave?"

"I don't know, but hopefully within a few days." He turned toward Matt. "I need to examine Mrs. Albright. Could you come back in a few minutes?"

As Matt walked out the door, he said, "I'll be back later, if Steven doesn't occupy all your time."

*****
As Matt stood in the waiting room, Peggy walked up to him. "Where's Steven?"

Suspicious as to why she was at the hospital, he said, "He's taking a break. Leya's showing signs of improvement, by the way."

"I was going to ask about her. Just because I don't trust her, doesn't mean I want something to happen to her. I don't understand why men always fall for pretty women. I'm sure it's because she dresses so seductively. She's not even that good looking."

Matt shook his head at that statement. As much as I love Dani, and Dani is absolutely gorgeous, I can't ignore Leya's beauty. Her beauty is more mysterious than Dani's.

Leya's background check proves she was more than just a beautiful woman. She's intelligent, well educated, compassionate, and has a great sense of humor. I know exactly why Steven's in love with her.

Matt responded to Peggy, "I'll tell Steven you were here. I'm sure you have work that needs to be completed at the Task Force."

"I've decided to wait for him. I'll see that my work is finished before I go home tonight."

Matt sat in a chair and picked up a magazine, deciding he didn't want to talk with her anymore. Soon he heard Ralph's voice and knew Steven was with him. He wished he could think of a way to warn him that Peggy was waiting.

Peggy smiled at Steven, as he walked up to Matt and asked, "Is the doctor with Leya?"

"Yes, he shouldn't be much longer. Leya's a lot stronger today. It looks like she's going to beat this."

"Great."

When the doctor walked out of Leya's room, he gave Steven a report. "Two days ago I was worried about Mrs. Albright. Very few people survive this toxic stage of yellow fever. I'm glad I allowed you more time with her. It seems you were the right medicine. Sometimes a loving relationship between a husband and wife is stronger than the most powerful medicine or disease."

"Thank you." Steven grinned at Matt and walked into Leya's room without addressing Peggy.

Peggy grabbed Ralph's arm and dragged him to the side of the room. "What's going on? Their marriage isn't real. Why hasn't someone told the doctor?"

"You heard the doctor. There's something special between them. Evidently they share a special bond."

"She's not the right woman for Steven. They have nothing in common."

"I think Matt's already told you to mind your own business," interrupted Ralph.

After releasing a deep breath, she asked, "I'm sure they're moving Leya once she's out of the hospital. Has Matt found a new safe house? If not, I can help him find one."

"I don't think any decisions have been made. Why?"

"No reason, just curious."

Matt listened curiously. Could she have instigated the attack on the safe house?

Matt found a private room and called Joe. "Find some way that only Peggy knows we're moving Leya to a safe house at 117 Maple Street Saturday around 1100 hours. On my way to work, I pass that house and it's been abandoned for the past year."



Recognized


I know this is longer than I usually post, but there isn't really anywhere to break it. I'm sorry. Thank you to all my faithful supporters. I couldn't do this without your help.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.