Romance Fiction posted February 5, 2010 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Leya's yellow fever gets worse.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter 8; part 3

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
BACKGROUND:
After the safe house was attacked, Peggy was sent back to Task Force 385 to file papers. Leya was diagnosed with yellow fever.



Steven entered Leya's room early that evening. She was slightly propped up against the pillows and said, "I didn't expect to see you again today."

"When I left, I didn't expect to return. I'm sorry I yelled." He scratched his razor stubble and swallowed. "How are you feeling?"

"The same, still vomiting, every muscle aches, and my head's pounding." She glanced around the room. "I'm sorry for not listening. Can you forgive me?"

Turn and run. He took a deep breath as his heart took control and he sat beside her. "Of course." He pulled the blankets tighter around her. "Do you need anything?"

"I need for you to sit with me for a while."

Get out of this room or you'll fall for her charm. "I'll be here as long as you want me to stay."

They sat in silence, and Steven watched her lying weakly with her eyes closed so the light from the window didn't aggravate her headache. When he reached over and touched her hand, she squeezed his and held it.

After a few minutes, she opened her eyes. "Steven, we're married, right?"

He understood she was trying to justify that he saw her naked. "Yes, legally."

Her eyes closed, and tears rolled down her cheeks.

He leaned over her. "Leya, open your eyes and look at me." As her eyes opened, he stared into them. "When I picked you up, I was so scared that although I knew you were naked, I didn't notice." He paused knowing he'd just lied to her. "It was cruel of me to say what I did. I'm sorry. And yes, we're married. I think your future husband will understand how it happened. I know I would."

"Thank you." She paused briefly. "If you continue being nice to me, I might start thinking you actually care."

Her comment surprised him. "I do care," he responded, without giving any thought to what he said.

*****
Steven remained with her for the rest of Thursday and most of Friday, only leaving when work required his attention.

Leya began feeling better Saturday.

After the doctor examined her, he released a deep breath. "This could be remission. If it is, it could last hours or days." He stared into Leya's eyes. "If you start feeling sick you need to immediately get to the hospital."

On Sunday, Matt and Steven began making plans to move Leya to a new safe house. They were surprised the drug cartels hadn't tried another attack and knew they were on borrowed time. They agreed to move her early Monday morning.

Late Sunday evening, Leya opened the door to her room and yelled, "Steven! STEVEN!"

He ran up the stairs, three steps at a time. "What's wrong?"

Leya removed a Kleenex from her mouth. "I'm bleeding!"

He carried her down the stairs. "Ralph! We're going to the hospital, call Matt and have him meet us there."

The men followed him to the helicopter.

*****
After an examination and with Steven and Matt holding Leya while an IV was started, the doctor said to Steven, "Mrs. Albright may not survive this toxic stage of yellow fever."

The first three days she spent in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), and the doctor only allowed Steven in the room for five minutes every other hour.

Finally, on the fourth day during Steven's short visit, Leya was awake. As he stood beside her bed, he was surprised that her beautiful deep brown eyes had lost their sparkle. He missed them not reading his soul.

Leya whispered, "I've missed you."

"And I've missed you. The doctor won't let me stay in the room with you for very long at a time, but I've been outside your room."

"Really?"

"I haven't left."

As she closed her eyes, the doctor said, "You need to leave, she needs rest."

"Can I stay a little longer?" Steven glanced toward the doctor, then back at Leya. "I'll sit quietly."

"If you're quiet you can stay, but I don't want Mrs. Albright wasting energy. She needs all the strength she has to fight this disease."

Steven reached over, held her hand, and prayed.



Recognized


Again, I want to thank all my supporters. I appreciate you continued support. Thank you all very much.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.