General Non-Fiction posted January 27, 2010 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The oppertunity couldn't be better, then fittered.

A chapter in the book Performance Problems- My Life! LOL

The Fight That Step Forth A Knight

by Mike K2

Because of Gary's stature and he was seemingly more mature then the most of us; garnered not a sense of following him, but a respect and a certain admiration. Shortly after I put an end to my bullying, a problem developed between him and another student in the ninth grade class and a fight challenge was issued and responded to.

Gary let it be known at lunch and the word ripped through our homeroom class as well, other classes as he made sure to tell all the right people. It was to take place just after school at the flag pole. Ordinarily, I never had an interest in any of these, but this time, there was a special feeling about it, and I was prepared to bolt at the end of the class.

At the last bell of the day, just about the entire class ran for the flag pole, which was a challenge to get to because of the amount of students that were there. As soon as I spied it, I saw Gary take off running from the flag pole and presumably to the person he supposedly was to fight.

It was as if a lane of clear sight was created for me, because Gary stopped at the guy and he was with Jean's brother, Terri. Oh, I knew this was going to be a good one! As soon as Terri and his friend took off running, I did as well for I knew where they were headed. Gary then took off in chase, now followed by the entire school.

It was an unbelievable sight for my eyes to see, Jean's mom and sister at the side door and the street entirely filled with Parkville Junior High Students. Trouble and Terri ... I was loving every minute of it, and picked a tactical, but inconspicuous spot to view it all. Then Jean's father came out of the front door!

"I'm telling you all this, go home! There's not going to be any fight today! The police have been called and they are on the way! Go home!"

I think that Gary issued a challenge and Jean's Dad said, " I said there's going to be no fight here today! The police are on their way, but if I see any one of you! We're going to go at it and the police won't be called!" He eyed the entire crowd.

I thought, "That's great! We're going to be sixteen years old and Jean is going to bring me to him and say, "Dad, this is the boy I'm dating, his name is Mi-"

POW! As he remembers and decks me; "Didn't I say if I saw you again we'd go at it!""

Poor Jean ... Then the amusement wore off, as I had a serious thought, "What if Jean finds me in the crowd? Oh God, I'm in trouble."

I immediately stuck my head up through the crowd to find a way out and Jean was looking around and ran right to my side. I put the best, non guilt filled face on that I could, "Jean, I am glad that I found you, I've been looking for you. It looks bad, but it's really not that bad."

Jean was very concerned and looking around as I continued to try to comfort her, "Your Dad has everything under control. That's your Dad, right? Jean, that's your Dad? Jean?" She finally nodded her head, "Jean that's the person I have to meet before I date you?" I tried to create levity to get her mind off the problem at hand, "Jean, that's the person that I have to meet?" She finally shook her head, but was still fraught with worry.

"Come on Jean, I'm going to take you to your house."

"No"

"What? Yes I am!"

"No Mike, You're not."

"Oh come on Jean! That's my job! I'm taking you to your house."

"No Mike, if you take me, they'll beat you up, and I don't want to be responsible for that. I'm going to my house now, everything will be ok, just watch. It will work out." I couldn't believe my eyes, if was just like it was in fifth grade when she was stalking me on the Annapolis field trip, but done much more swiftly and tactically.

I just started nature stalking and got my first book called, "Survival, Evasion and Escape," as well as one on sign cutting and man tracking, I was impressed to see her use my fellow students as barriers, a neighbor's fence run, a tree and then one of their cars. She made it to the side door and her mother pulled her in.

I was very pissed off and immediately started for home. Why in the hell didn't Jean let me do my job? How could she be so bitch-like and non thinking? There wasn't a better opportunity available to penetrate the Murphy fortress and just think of the impression I would have made on a caring mother and hard-assed father. To think she would deny me that opportunity!

I know her parents would at least let me stay until the police had arrived and while I wouldn't say how much I loved Jean; I think they could have figured that one out themselves, I would have at least been able to tell them how much I cared for her. I also figured they would find a way for me to do things with her. After that incident, I trusted their judgment.


Realizing that Jean came to me first, let me know that she remembers and still cares for me.  Time to ask her out! I found it funny that I saw a lot more of her on the walk home, so I walked up to her and attempted to carry her books, which she rejected, "Jean, I know a lot of areas at Double Rock Park that are beautiful and know where a neat field is and where the different animals and flowers are. It's beautiful!"

"No, Mike." I walked away, dejected and feeling like a first class ass hole. To think I would suggest for a first date, taking Jean to the park. I meant every word I said, but it easy to for her to think, all I wanted to do, was make out with her.

I spent that night and the next day, settling on the popular things the other students do and once again, I was able to find her, "Jean, I like Skateland and it's a cool place to be at and I would like to take you this weekend?"

"No, Mike. I'm sorry." My brain worked overtime, and realizing how shy she was and the fact she really didn't know me, I tried to think of something else to do, but it was of no avail. I wished I knew her parents, but maybe my mom can help by thinking of something. "Hey, that's it! Invite her over the house for dinner!"

As soon as I got home, "Mom? Would it be ok if I invite a girl over Saturday for dinner?"

"It's Jean isn't it? Oh, my God, you asked Jean out! Didn't you?" I guess it must have been written on my face, "Mike, I remember Jean from the field trip and she is so sweet and perfect for you. Yes, Jean is welcome over here any time she wants to be." Hot damn!

The next day I walked up to Jean and invited her to dinner, "Jean, I would love for you to come over to my house and have dinner with me Saturday. You know, my mom said it's fine and she remembers you from the field trip. She really likes you and wants to meet you again."

She hesitated, but her face was sad, "No, Mike. I'm sorry." I pined away for the rest of the walk home, through dinner, into the night, to the walk to school and through the day. My heart was broken and I couldn't come up with an idea to save my life. Mom was disappointed as well.

The next day's walk home, I still had no idea, but muttered under my breath, "God, I want to go out with Jean ... Please help me."

As soon as I caught up, I got her attention and said, "Jean ..." The tears started to stream out of my eyes and I totally broke down. Jean got this, "Oh shit," look and it was obvious that she felt like the lowest person on the earth.

"Jean, why won't you go out with me? You know how much I really love you! Come let's do something ... anything together. Your rules ... Everything will be fine. Come on, please." I didn't care if anyone saw me either, this was important.

Jean seemed she wanted to cry, but held back on the tears, "Mike, it's not that I don't love you." She grimaced, "I ... I mean, I like you, it's that it not the right time for us to be together. We will will one day, I promise Mike."

She simply turned around and was walking in a slump, with her head down and I lost it and yelled, "Jean! It's that damned dream! Isn't it?"

She stopped dead in her tracks as if Dirty Harry had pointed his model 29, Smith & Wesson at her back and cocked the hammer with is subtle double click that whispers, "Death." When she turned around, she also had that same look on her face.

"Oh, Mike." Her face contorted to the most evil, but enchanting smile that I have ever seen, "One day, we're going to be talking about that dream."





The word, "That," in dialog is accurately portrayed.

When I mentioned the dream to Jean, it Garnered a peculiar reaction that was shown in a Dirty Harry movie. The model 29 Smith and Wesson was owned by me and actually became my favorite firearm. For a period at work, it became a good idea to be armed, but with handguns illegal in Baltimore, I always transported in a secure fashion. One time in a rare walk home from work, a person said he was carrying a handgun and threated to hunt me down. I left, but observed and since he wasn't paying attention, I slid my back pack around while I was circling around. As he just walked by, being in the shadows about fifteen feet away, I cocked the gun. He stopped dead for a couple tenths of a second and took off running. By the time I was re-secured, he was still running about an eighth of a mile away.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.