Romance Fiction posted January 16, 2010 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Leya's mother visits.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter 7; part 4

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
BACKGROUND:
After the safe house was attacked, Leya became ill. A doctor was called and took blood tests. We are waiting for those results.


From the depths of sleep, Leya recognized the sound of footsteps on the creaking floor. As she scanned the room, she burst into a wide smile when she recognized her mother, Jacinda standing beside Matt. Leya held her arms out inviting her mother's hug. Senora Vegas hurried into her daughter's arms.

Matt cleared his throat. "I'll leave you ladies alone. Leya, if you need anything, there's a man posted outside your door."

As she chewed her lower lip, Leya motioned her mother to sit beside her. "The safe house was attacked yesterday." She released a deep breath. "Would Father have ordered that attack?"

Her mother answered in Spanish.

"Mother, speak English. We have nothing to hide or fear, besides the men are fluent in Spanish."

"I don't know. He was furious when he got news you were married. If your father didn't order it, Carlos might have. He sees himself running the largest cartel in the world. Merging the two cartels is the only way his dream could come true."

Leya closed her eyes and sighed. "Do you know how they found the location of the safe house?"

Senora Vegas shook her head. "Sorry dear, but no, I don't." After watching Leya for a few seconds, she turned and scanned the room. "You're married, but I only see your things in this room. What about your husband?"

"It's complicated."

"Are you saying you don't love him?"

"Mother...."

"Buenos dias, Senora Vegas," Steven interrupted as he opened the door.

"Buenos dias." She stood beside the bed. "I was asking my daughter how she likes married life."

Steven leaned over and kissed Leya's cheek. "Are you feeling better?" He turned toward Jacinda. "I'm sorry I wasn't here when you arrived. I had business to take care of." He turned and smiled at Leya. "Leya, I'm curious myself. Does married life agree with you?"

As a blush covered her cheeks, she said, "Yes, it does."

Steven glanced down at his ringing cell phone. "Sorry ladies. This is important." He turned toward the door and then stopped. "Jacinda, Matt will be here in a few minutes, to escort you home."

Leya and her mother watched him close the door.

"He seems like a nice man." She brushed a curl from her daughter's cheek.

"He is very nice." Leya patted the edge of the bed. "Mother, please sit." After Jacinda sat, Leya continued, "I know we only have a few more minutes. I don't want you worried about me. I'm sure I only have the flu."

Her mother held her hand. "If it's only the flu, I don't think the doctor would've drawn blood." After winking at her, she smiled and continued, "Are you already pregnant?"

"Mother, I'm sure I'm not pregnant. I have the flu."

A knock on the door interrupted their conversation, and Leya responded. "Come in."

Matt stepped into the room. "Senora Vegas, your daughter needs rest." He glanced at Leya. "Since the safe house was attacked, I'm moving your mother. This will be the last time you'll be able to talk until I can guarantee both of you are safe."

Leya and Jacinda shared a tearful good bye.

After her mother left, Leya felt queasy. She vomited and then nestled in to sleep.

*****
Early the following afternoon, the doctor arrived, took Leya's blood pressure, and asked, "Have you been to South America or Africa in the past week?"

"Friday I was in Bogota, Colombia." Leya tilted her head. "Why?"

He closed his eyes and sighed. "That's where you are from, right?" As Leya nodded, the doctor continued, "Was your last booster for yellow fever over ten years ago?"

She adjusted the blankets on her bed, avoiding his stare. "I've put if off, because I hate needles."

"How long has it been?"

"Two, maybe three years."

"Thought so. Young lady, you have yellow fever." The doctor glanced toward Steven. "Before I leave I want to make sure the men's boosters are up to date."

Steven nodded. "The only two we need to check are Ralph and Peggy. Ralph retired a few months ago, and Peggy rarely leaves the States. I'm positive the others' vaccinations are up to date."

*****
When they were alone, Steven pulled a chair beside the bed and held Leya's hand. "I'm staying with you tonight. I hope it's all right."

"You don't need to." Leya's eyes met his, and silence filled the room.

The sound of voices in the hallway caused Steven to blink. "I know, but I want to." He brushed a curl from her face. "Get some rest, sweetheart." He watched her close her eyes.

After she drifted off to sleep, he stood, noticed a sheet of paper on her nightstand, and lifted it. He read:

In darkness and turmoil
I have found an anchor
Steven, you are my strength
You are my salvation

Steven glanced toward Leya sleeping, reread the poem, leaned over, and kissed her cheek. "I love you, Leya. I will keep you safe."



Recognized


I want to thank all my fans for consistantly reviewing my posts. I appreciate your time and reviews. Thank you.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.