Romance Fiction posted January 9, 2010 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The attack on the safe house ends.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter 7, part 3

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
BACKGROUND:
The safe house was attacked. It's assumed Leya's family is trying to take her back.



As the sun peeked over the horizon, the gunfire stopped and Steven pounded on the office door. "Geoff, unlock the door. This round's over."

After Steven heard the click of the lock, he pushed it open. "How's Leya?"

"Scared to death, she stared at the door and hasn't said a word since you called for back-up."

Steven pushed past him, sat beside Leya, and brushed a curl of hair from her cheek. "It's over. You're safe for now."

"At what cost? Was anybody hurt?" Her body trembled.

Matt watched from the doorway and answered, "We sustained a few minor injuries. The Task Force Doctor is on the way. The men are searching for injured survivors. If anybody was left behind and needs medical attention, we'll see they get it."

She stared at him and smelled perspiration. "Thank you, General Patterson." Tears welled in her eyes but didn't roll down her cheeks. "If I go back to my family, this would stop and everybody would be safe."

Matt moved Steven aside and sat beside Leya. "First, call me Matt. Second, if you went back to your family, they'd probably kill you, if not worse." He continued slowly, "We won't hold you against your will. If you want to go back, I'll help you."

Steven stepped closer. "Matt, we can't let her go." As Matt raised his hand to quiet him, Steven turned and stepped back.

Leya leaned her head on Matt's shoulder.

Matt held her for a few minutes then suggested, "Why don't you go to your room and think about your decision. You can give me an answer later."

As Leya left the room, Peggy entered Steven's office. "What's wrong with Ms. Vegas?"

Matt and Steven glared at her as she addressed Steven, "Are you ready to admit she's contacting her family? How else would they know where to find her?"

Geoff replied, "I was with Leya for the past three hours. She was worried about the team. There's no way Leya had anything to do with this."

With her M4 resting against the indention of her right hip, Peggy said, "So, she's fooled you too. It's not unusual for men to be tricked by women, but you guys are real suckers for her big tits and brown eyes."

Matt moved to confront Peggy, glaring into her eyes. "I witnessed myself how upset she was and it wasn't an act. As for you, if your antics continue, you'll find yourself permanently stationed at Task Force 385 shuffling papers. Do you understand?"

"Yes sir," she said as she stood at attention.

"Good, now figure a way you can be nice." He took a flashlight from a pocket of his jacket. "Take this and help the men search the area." Matt watched her leave the room and shut the door. "Steven, now that the cartels know where to find Leya, we need to move her."

"Any idea how they're getting information?"

"Not a clue. You're closer to Leya than I am. Do you think she's a mole?"

"I can't believe she'd put us or her family in danger." He brushed his fingers through his short auburn hair. "I'll post two men in front and two in back. Think that'll be enough?"

"I'd feel better if Michael wasn't in Colombia. I'll detail some men to assist with security until we can move Leya." Matt glanced toward the door. "Leya was pretty upset. You'd better check on her. I'm going home to shower. I'll call after I get some sleep."

*****
When Leya heard the door open, she sat up in bed. "Who is it?"

"It's me." Steven turned on the light. "Sorry, I frightened you. I didn't want to knock and risk waking you. I came to see how you're doing." He watched her wipe the tears rolling down her cheeks. "You're not doing well, are you?"

She shook her head.

"I haven't showered yet, but may I sit by you?" She nodded as he sat. When he put his arms around her, she leaned into his chest. "Leya, would you be more comfortable lying down?" When she didn't answer, he added, "I'll still hold you."

Eventually with Steven holding her, she fell asleep.

*****
When Steven awoke, he felt how hot Leya was lying beside him. He crept from the bed and called for Jim to bring a thermometer. Jim waited as Steven placed the thermometer under Leya's armpit. After three minutes, he read it then asked, "Will you stay with her? I need to call Matt. The doc left a few hours ago, but he's needed again."

Within a few minutes after Steven returned and Jim left, Leya woke up and swallowed. "I don't feel well. My whole body aches and I'm freezing." Before she finished, she ran to the bathroom and vomited. She knelt on the floor to be closer to the toilet.

Steven knelt beside her and rubbed her back. When she finished, he helped her to bed.

"I'm sorry. You shouldn't have to witness that."

"Don't worry about it. While you were sleeping, I took your temperature. It's over 104 degrees. A Task Force doctor will be here shortly."

"Thank you." She hesitated before she asked, "Why are you so nice to me?"

"What do you mean?"

"Because of me, the entire team could've lost their lives."

"Well, you have a pretty face and Task Force men always come to the aid of ladies with pretty faces," he interrupted teasingly.

She shivered. "I have a whole laundry list of reasons why you should hate me. It includes costing you and Peggy a friendship."

He covered her with another blanket. "OK, you also have a good looking butt," he again teased.

"You're not going to be serious, are you?"

"Nope." He sat on the edge of the bed. "Matt told your mom you're sick, and she wants to see you right away. After the doctor leaves, we'll try to bring her for a short visit. Why don't you get some rest?" He watched her lie in bed. I'm nice to you because I'm in love with you, but there's no way I'll ever admit it.

*****
As Leya slept, Ralph entered her room. "Steven, you're needed downstairs. I'll stay with Leya."

Before Steven returned, the doctor arrived. While he examined Leya, he decided he needed to do blood work before he could give an accurate diagnosis.

Leya stared at the needle and cringed. "I don't do needles."

"Don't worry, it won't hurt." He searched for a vein. "You'll only feel a prick."

"You don't understand. I don't do needles." She placed her hand over his. "There must be another way."

Ralph sat beside her and held her hand. "I'm here. Squeeze my hand hard whenever you need to." He nodded for the doctor to begin.

Leya gulped - gulped - gulped - and gulped, as the doctor said, "Make a fist and hold it until I tell you to release it."

When the doctor was ready to stick the needle into her vein, Ralph took his other hand and turned her face toward him. "Leya, look at me." She glanced at the needle, as he said, "Come on, sweetie look at me."

She turned her head toward him and swallowed hard. As the needle went into her arm, she squeezed his hand.

The doctor removed the needle. "We're done. Now, that wasn't bad, was it?"

Ralph held up his red hand and rubbed it. "She has quite a grip." After laughing, he said, "You said you don't do needles, but you should've said you have a needle phobia."

Leya lay back in bed and brought the covers to her chin. "I'm sorry. Can we keep that between us?"

Steven sat on the edge of the bed. "Too late. I was standing at the door and witnessed the whole thing."

She covered her head with the blankets. "Please don't tell anyone."

Steven teased, "Just remember the more we tease, the more we care about you."

Before Leya could respond, the doctor said, "I'm not going to attempt to guess what's wrong with Mrs. Albright. I'll have the results of her blood work around noon tomorrow."



Recognized


Thank you for all your support and review. I appreciate each one of them.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.