General Poetry posted November 22, 2009 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 20... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My favorite appetizer, a culinary staple for me.

A chapter in the book Dining Without, Tony

Clams Casino

by Mike K2

I'm in need for a bit of a culinary blast;
that deeply in my memory, will last!
I want an invigorating taste of seafood;
something that always satisfies my mood.

How about Clams Casino for this assault,
garnished nicely on a bed of rock salt!
With  little gems of clam for the meat,
that use for the clams just can't be beat.

Resting in their own liquor and half-shells,
with herbed butter and bacon for flavor swell.
Shallot or onion, peppers, lemon and white wine;
combined with butter and drop of Worcestershire
making for a taste this is so absolutely fine.

Cooked right, they are not gummy or chewy, but firm;
with the crunch of bacon, a nice contrast to discern.

Whether they are to be shared appetizer
or with salad, some bread and a drink,
making them a revitalizing entrée.
There is something about them that besides
being delicious, makes for a great day!

I enjoy these little nuggets of pleasure,
my favorite taste and culinary treasure.




Mixed form and freestyle poem. Photograph copyright 2009 by Michael W. Kohlman.

I would like to thank The Bowman, restaurant for personally helping my by accommodating my photography.

Not to give too much away as there will be a future poem about The Bowman, they were established in 1973 and has served my family every since. Those details away their poem. While I have tried many Clams Casino in other restaurant and they are all good, The Bowman makes the best that I have ever had, consistently too.

They are located at 9306 Harford Road, in Baltimore and while they are a bit more pricey then other restaurants in the area, they are not only reasonable but have excellent food, service and a nice ambiance and can satisfy a wide variety of situations and moods. They are also more of a bargain then the higher end restaurants in the Inner Harbor. I always tout them despite the fact of my extreme bitterness from removing another favorite dish of mine, Bouillabaisse. My father didn't share my opinion when they removed this $20 - $25 bowl of soup from the menu. He was elated!

I thought the rock salt bed was the neatest visual touch to the dish and it held a fascination for me. It wasn't until I attempted a shellfish dish myself that I realized there is a more utilitarian purpose for it. I didn't use it and there is nothing like having a plateful of hot shells from the broiler sliding off and dropping into your lap.

I also have a very funny story related to Clams Casino. When our wedding rehearsal dinner was held their for 17 people, I think so highly of the dish that I added that appetizer as I wanted to introduce everyone to it. Well worth the extra bucks. The problem was that most of that party was from the Midwest and didn't desire to try any seafood.

My father-in-law was a corporate executive and very strident about beliefs and maintaining manors. With my fellow seafood lovers eating their fill and not being permitted to take them home. I stood at the main tray and with fork in hand, downed several dozen of these gems. You should have seen the look of horror in my soon to be father-in-laws face. When I finished, I said, "Dad, this is a cost effective endeavor, because with what they cost, it would be a shame for this great food to be thrown out!"
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.