Mature Fiction posted November 15, 2009 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Trial starts today and Kim makes major deci....

A chapter in the book Legal Tendencies

Trial & Goodbyes

by Heidixoxo



Background
Kim can't handle that Steven cheated with Alicia....
I made a life changing decision over night, leaving me lost and even lonelier. No matter what I felt, I knew this was the correct thing to do. I have written my official resignation effective immediately and I would be giving it to Steven after the trial. I decided that moving on and away would be the most logical choice. Staying at the firm wasn't ever going to be an option since that bitch Alicia is there. Had she left, maybe, but my resignation is final. I simply couldn't bare to look at Steven every day, not right now. The plan? Go home and pack what I could take with me in my car and leave prior to him arriving back there. What a sad goodbye this would be....

In court room twenty-four C, Steven looked exhausted yet ready to get this trial started. All parties involved were relieved that this was a one day trial for Adam. Steven looked at me with such sad eyes and it was obvious he had been crying too. I couldn't dwell on my personal problems nor should Steven. Our priority had to be getting a unanimous vote on a conviction concerning this rapist today. At promptly eight am, the bailiff escorted Mr. Sprinkles in, showing him to his seat. Protocol was to keep him shackled and cuffed for everyone's safety, including his. Opening statements began right on schedule with Steven's being first. I can't deny his statement and speech were fantastically done, even the judge seemed impressed. Soon after the prosecution was finished, the defense began. The judge called for a ten minute recess as the other side finished and Steven came right up to me asking if we could talk quietly for a minute. What I really wanted to do was jump into his arms and pretend as if none of this ever happened, but I couldn't. I agreed to talk for a brief minute in the hallway.

Once in the hallway, Steven reached to give me a hug and as much as I wanted to feel him, I backed up. I immediately saw his eyes fill with tears making me feel so guilty. He told me over and over how sorry he was for what happened, letting me know he loved me. Reaching in his pocket, he pulled out my diamond ring and tried to place it back on my finger. Damn it!! I wanted that ring and this man, but couldn't accept either one. I told him how much I loved him and handed my resignation to him. At first, I think he assumed it was just an ordinary letter. He folded it up and placed it in the pocket of his suit jacket to read later.

The trial was going great for our side and got even better when I heard the door in the back open. All heads turned to see who or what the noise was. As I looked back I was overcome with happiness and pride when I saw my sister, Clarice walk in and sit down. This was such a unexpected joy and when Adam saw her, he knew he wasn't going to be a free man for a very long time, if ever. Clarice was a bigger woman than most, just by appearing here in this room today. Adam's trial went on until four-thirty that afternoon after countless objections and over ruled. The judge announced the final fifteen minute recess which meant it was time for deliberation. Clarice and I went to the hall sitting on the bench. I hadn't seen Steven yet but I figured he had some type of business to tend too. We just talked and I expressed my overwhelming feelings to Clarice for her showing up to see a hearing she had been directly involved in. She just smiled and hugged me so tightly. When the bailiff came out announcing it was time to return back in, we followed behind. We remained standing until the judge arrived and sat waiting for the verdict. Steven barely made it back in on time, cutting it very close.

The judge announced that he was holding the final verdict and asked that the defense stand up, Adam as well. The judge proceeded, 'Mister Sprinkles, you have been charged with eight counts of rape with intent to cause bodily harm. After some deliberation, the court finds you guilty on all charges. You are hereby sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. You will remain in custody from here on out until your sentence has been fully served. Court is now adjourned.' When I looked in Steven's direction, he was already looking at me with a huge, proud smile on his face from ear to ear. I gave him a thumbs up and headed to wards Clarice. I dropped her off at home and continued on my way. I had several things to get accomplished quickly.

As I was leaving my house with a duffel bag full of clothes and pictures in tow, I knew I had to hurry before Steven arrived. It was time to say goodbye to the life I once knew, my beautiful house that I was so proud to own, my career that I worked hard to achieve and finally, the man I love so deeply, still! Goodbye is never an easy thing to do and I was left to say it to many people, places and dreams. I guess if Steven really and truly loves me, he will take the journey to find me, possibly starting fresh and new. If not, another lonely start in life for me, alone.





Recognized


Trial and Goodbyes....all in one day!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heidixoxo All rights reserved.
Heidixoxo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.