Mature Fiction posted November 12, 2009 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Back to work after the holiday....

A chapter in the book Legal Tendencies

Trials & Depositions

by Heidixoxo



Background
Now back to work at the firm, a high profile trial begins with Steven as the prosecuter. Sadly, Kim realizes secretively, her sister Clarice is in love with this person.
As the extended holiday weekend had come to an end, it was time to mentally prepare for a hectic week back at the firm. I was excited to return showing off my beautiful diamond ring and announce my engagement to Steven! Knowing that two attorneys should never cross certain boundaries, as we had done, this could bring heavy consequences about. As I thought about this scenario, it temporarily interrupted my happiness, replacing it with stress. Being legally bound by the Bar Association, Steven and I both knew that our actions would be highly frowned upon and could have not only enabled but allowed the Bar to impose punishment. After we had discussed this at great length, Steven reassured me that this was a chance worth taking, making me feel relieved.

Prior to returning to the office, I had helped Steven go over stacks upon stacks of papers to help him feel better prepared for a hearing he had later that day. So rather than going straight to the firm, he had to report directly to the courthouse for the pretrial conference. This case may take up most of his week and he was alright with that. Steven knew however, he had to be done and free on time for the big trial that started the following Monday. Meanwhile back at the office, I had an air tight schedule of clients to see and handling all phone conferences for Steven's clients as well as mine. Alexa, my secretary, was amazing at keeping my schedule perfect. She always allowed just enough time for each client, never overbooking me. Doing that made everyones's day run smoother, especially mine.

It was now impossible for me to contain my excitment as the girls in the office spotted my ring. They all gathered around me in a huddle formation, to hear the story and see the diamond, not wanting to miss a word. There were obvious signs of jealousy from a select few that had tried impressing Steven many times, always failing. One employee in particular, Alicia. She knew that Steven and I were together but she continued making an ass of herself by showing a serious, flirtatious side. She acted very unprofessional and even child like around Steven. Alicia would get the giggles, flip and toss her hair and dress provocatively. Steven wasn't going to stand for this and I was bothered by this behavior so before the holidays began, I had a chat with her. So far, it seemed to work but today she was pouting over my happiness.

By days end, I was pooped and ready to relax at home. Steven had laid across our bed, files for his upcoming trial next week. This was a suspect being charged as a serial rapist and Steven was on the prosecution side. It had been publically announced and all of us had seen it on the news but what was quite strange was this person's name had never been mentioned. With Steven having the file right here on my bed, I kept thinking I would take a peek inside the first chance I got. So the very second he got up to take a shower, I looked. The suspects name was Adam Sprinkles. My face felt flushed and I almost slid right off the bed. Adam Sprinkles was engaged to my sister Clarice. Could there be another man with the same name raping woman in the area they lived in? Oh my God....this was not good!!







Returning back to the firm after the long holiday weekend. Trials and depositions lead Kim to discover she knows the serial rapist that Steven will soon be prosecuting.....
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heidixoxo All rights reserved.
Heidixoxo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.