Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 29, 2009 Chapters:  ...22 23 -25- 26... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Lexi's First Conference

A chapter in the book Dear Lexi

Extraordinary Women

by Rdfrdmom2



Background
This book is dedicated to my first grandchild. It is meant to not only chronicle my thoughts as she grows but to also share stories about her mom and dad. Of course, it is a grandmother's prerogative to add advice and snippets of wisdom now and then.

Dear Lexi:


 


Recently you, your mom and I had a girls’ weekend in Roanoke, Virginia when we attended an Extraordinary Women’s Conference with approximately ten thousand other women of all ages. It is safe to say you were one of the youngest in attendance.


 


Friday night found you enthralled with the giant projection screens used to share the words of the praise music and to ensure everyone could get a closer look at the speakers and performers. The plethora of colors kept your attention glued to the sights and sounds of the moment. You always seemed to grasp the most appropriate time to give a “shriek of praise” which was received with appreciative laughs and grins by those around us. You particularly liked Natalie Grant’s concert, but what’s not to like about her music?


 


When we returned to the hotel, you were more interested in playing than sleeping after your bath. After you had exasperated your mom, I took you out of the Pac-n-Play, walked you around the hotel room, and sat with you cuddled on my shoulder until you fell asleep. I then ever so gently placed you back in the Pac-n-Play, feeling so smug and sure your mom and I would then get a good night’s sleep. Silly me! I had no more taken the three quick steps to my side of the bed before you had awakened, scrambled to the netting facing the bed, and made your presence known. Two attempts later, including a thirty minute nap together in the most uncomfortable hotel chair known to man, you gave in and decided to sleep in your designated area.


 


Saturday brought you two opportunities to minister to other babies attending the conference. While you are too young to appreciate it now, it is my wish you will come to understand one is never too young or old to be used by God to assist others.


 


The first situation involved a most embarrassed mom approaching your mom because she had picked up the wrong bag when she left her hotel that morning. Unfortunately, she did not realize it until her baby needed changing and she had no diapers. Fortunately, your mom had packed lots of extra diapers “just in case” although she had no way of knowing the need would be by someone else’s child. Your mom was pleased to be able to help another mom in need.


 


The second situation involved a middle-aged lady stopping by your stroller to comment on your sweet demeanor and beautiful red hair. Although the combination often makes you stand out in a crowd, I intuitively knew she had more she wished to convey to us. Sure enough, she began sharing with your mom and me about a young mother she and her daughter had just met during lunch break. The woman was most concerned about the baby of this young mother as the Conference Center was cold and drafty that day and the child was dressed only in a short-sleeved onesie. She further expressed concern the mother had placed the baby on the dirty conference floor while she ate, without benefit of a jacket or blanket. Even more troubling, she had left the baby with these women, unknown to her before this day, while she went to the Exhibit Hall.


 


It was obvious this woman was seeking assistance on behalf of this young mother and her baby. She offered to purchase any extra clothes we might have to provide this unidentified child warmth. I had brought a new velour blanket I had been awarded by the American Cancer Society during a Relay for Life fundraising event just in case you got cold. It had been a last minute addition as I had received an email saying the Conference Center may be cooler than usual for this event. You had not needed it because your mom had anticipated all types of temperatures for you. We gave the lady the blanket and asked her to share it with her new friend. She wanted to purchase it but we told her we were more than happy to assist.


 


Later that day, I happened to see the young woman with her young baby swaddled in that new, blue, American Cancer Society blanket. Her dress answered many questions for me which your mom and I later discussed. Your mom and I surmised the following were likely true:


 


A.     The mom lived in a sheltered environment where one could reasonably expect to leave one’s child with any other member of the community without fear of harm to said child;


B.    It was the first time this mother had ever traveled outside her community and may not have known how to prepare properly;


C.    Your mom and I had both painted this woman as a bad mother when, in reality, she was probably a good mother out of her element.


 


Lexi, I have already registered the three of us for next year’s Extraordinary Women’s Conference. I do not know how God will use each of us at next year’s conference but I do know I will work harder not to jump to conclusions about people He sends my way. I also look forward to noting how He will use each of us each day between now and October 1, 2010 as we continue our journeys as three generations of extraordinary women.


                                                            Always my unconditional love,


                                                                            Nanny Jan





Sometimes we learn more from the "side bars" than we do from the conference speakers. A special thanks to helvi2 for the artwork. This will be added to the book, Dear Lexi. Thank you for reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rdfrdmom2 All rights reserved.
Rdfrdmom2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.