Romance Fiction posted October 13, 2009 Chapters:  ...10 12 -15- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Max makes Christmas special ......

A chapter in the book The Ice Princess

Merry Christmas to All

by Begin Again



Background
I want to thank each every reader that followed through this story and helped me to complete it. I appreciate everyone's help and thank you from the bottom of my heart.
THE END










Chapter 15


After their tearful reunion, Max drove Reilly and Macy home. Mother and daughter clung to each other, alternating between tears and laughter. When exhaustion finally won the battle, he tucked the covers around both of them, checked all the doors and windows before making a stop in the kitchen. Taking Macy's Christmas list, he slipped it into his pocket and closed the door behind him.

Hours later, he returned to the house. It was very quiet. Tiptoeing down the hallway, he peeked into Reilly's bedroom. Mother and daughter were still snuggled deep beneath the covers, fast asleep.

Humming Christmas carols, he untied a Christmas tree from the top of his car. The car's trunk bulged with presents from Macy's list, graciously wrapped by the Mall's Christmas Elves. He'd bought a warm crocheted afghan to protect Hanna from the cool desert nights and an exquisite pair of diamond earrings for Reilly. He spent the next several hours decorating and playing Santa.

He recruited Hanna to cook. The aroma of turkey and pumpkin pie floated in the air, finally reaching Reilly and Macy. They hurried downstairs to discover the source of the tantalizing smells. Macy squealed with delight.

"Mommy, look, a Christmas tree and presents." Hugging Max, she squealed, "I love you. I love you. I love you."

"I love you, too." Max hugged her before letting his eyes meet Reilly.

She was crying again, but happy tears this time. Her lips formed the words, "Thank You," but her eyes said so much more.

"Suenas
como un pollo, pequena." Hanna laughed at everyone. "You are making such a racket I thought we had noisy chickens in the house."

"Hanna, did you see the Christmas tree and all the presents? It's so beautiful."

"Yes, little one, almost as beautiful as you."

"Oh, Hanna." Macy tightly squeezed her. "I love you."
 
"I love you, too. But now, I hope you are hungry, because I have a big dinner ready for you." Noisily, everyone hurried to the kitchen to help with the food. The room filled with sweet aromas, smiles and even a Christmas Carol or two.

After dinner, they all gathered around the Christmas tree. Macy bubbled with excitement. "You got me everything I wished for and more."

"You shouldn't spoil her that way. She'll expect it all the time." Reilly teased him.

"She deserved it. After all she went through."

"I don't know how to thank you."

"Hmmm ... maybe you'll think of a way." He winked at her and turned to watch Hanna open her present.

"Mommy, look. Hanna got an afghan."

"Oh, es tan bella." Hanna rubbed it against her face, smiling. "So soft and beautiful. Thank you so much."

"What did Mommy get? I wanna see..."

"Macy, don't be rude? He's certainly given us enough."

"But he said ..."

"Macy, stop ..." The little girl's lip pouted. Instantly, Reilly softened her tone, "I'm sorry, honey, but we shouldn't expect Max to have presents for everyone."

"But I do!" Handing a box with a red bow to Reilly, he beamed from ear to ear. "This one is a very special one for you."

Reilly looked embarrassed as she accepted the box, “Max, I don’t know what to say. You’ve done so much and I don’t have anything for you.”

 

“You gave me back my life. I couldn’t ask for anything more.”

 

“I did my job and we got lucky finding Dirty Harry.”

 

“Not every lawyer would have been so thorough in their job, especially considering…”

 

“Don’t go there now … it was a long time ago.”  A tear sparkled in the corner of her eye and a gentle smile touched her lips.  “All is forgiven.”

 

Max thought his heart would explode when he heard her say those words.  He prayed with all his heart that she really meant it.

 

Removing the lid from the box, she gasped. Caribbean cruise tickets lay nestled in the crinkly paper.

 

“OH, Max, I can’t accept this. It’s ...it’s …”

 

“It’s perfect for a honeymoon. And Hanna and Macy are coming too.”

 

“Honeymoon?”

 

“Yeah, the captain’s a friend of mine. He’ll marry us before the cruise liner leaves the port. “

 

“Max …” Before she could say anything, his lips covered her mouth, and then her eyes, nose, face, throat, and he was continuing when she gently pushed him backwards.

 

She cleared her throat, trying to remind him of their audience, but Macy was jumping and shouting, “Yes, yes, yes."

 

“Gracias Senor por este dulce amor.”  Hanna made the sign of the cross on her chest, beaming from ear to ear. “Praise the lord for sweet gifts.”

 

 “We were young. We made mistakes.  It’s all behind us, Rei. I don’t want to lose you again.” Getting down on bended knee, he took her hand in his before speaking again, “I love you, Reilly O’Neal. Will you marry me?”

 

Tears were streaming down everyone’s face as they waited for her to answer, “I love you to, Max Saladino.” Kissing his lips, “You may live to regret this, but yes, I’ll marry you.”

 

Max grabbed her and swung her around and around while Macy and Hanna laughed and clapped with joy. Outside, Christmas Carolers were singing “Joy to the World.”  

 




Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.