Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 11, 2009 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Christening Day

A chapter in the book Dear Lexi

Dedication

by Rdfrdmom2



Background
This book is dedicated to my first grandchild. It is meant to not only chronicle my thoughts as she grows but to also share stories about her mom and dad. Of course, it is a grandmother's prerogative to add advice and snippets of wisdom now and then.

Dear Lexi:


April has always been a month of celebrations for our family as it is full of birthdays and anniversaries. Birthdays include your Uncle Randolph’s on the 1st (yes, he really is an April Fool); Aunt Linda Ward’s on the 5th; Granddaddy Aubrey’s on the 21st; and Great-Grandma Brown’s on the 22nd. Your Great-Grandparent’s Brown’s wedding anniversary was on the 27th. Unfortunately, the anniversary of your Grandmother Tania’s death is the 12th which falls on Easter this year.  She died in her sleep last year as a result of a massive heart attack at the age of 43.


 


It seemed fitting for your parents to select an April date, the 5th, to dedicate themselves to raising you in a Christian home. Some would refer to this as the day of your christening.


 


You looked so angelic in the white outfit provided for you by my best friend and her daughter at one of your baby showers. You also wore a bonnet which can be transformed into a wedding hankie on your wedding day as the something old. Your white booties with lace ties which insisted on coming untied every few seconds just about drove your mom nuts before the service ever began. No one else seemed to think it was that big a deal. You’ll learn one day that’s the difference between being a spectator and the mommy.


 


You were perfect during your part of the service. You woke up just in time to move into the minister’s arms. You stared straight into his eyes as if you understood every word he said to your parents and to the congregation. You even raised a knowing eyebrow when he asked if we all promised to do our part to help you lead a Christian life throughout your childhood. I can already hear you calling one of us on the carpet the first time we mess up.


 


You were also quiet for the remainder of the service. I provided you a bottle of milk during the sermon to help ensure your cooperation. In return, you gave us a stinky diaper, the kind which did not allow one to remain in the pew lest the p-u’s would begin in earnest. Your mom took you out to freshen things up, planning to return to thank everyone for coming in support of your service. You, however, had other plans. Just as your mom was making the exchange of diapers, the Lexi Floodgates were opened. Mom, Lexi, diaper, sofa, clothes, and most anything else which had previously been dry was now soaked. It’s amazing to me how four ounces of milk can be processed into so much urine. That could be a good science fair topic for you one day, sweetie.


 


Your dad was summoned out of the sanctuary. I must admit to chuckling as I instinctively knew what must have happened. Unfortunately, church ended before your family could return to the sanctuary. Some of your guests left before your mom could thank them which caused her concern as she was afraid they would believe she was rude. I reminded her they could have waited for her just as some members of the church had done so they could fawn over you.


 


Later in the day, your mom and I were reviewing your special day. She became a little teary-eyed because she had so wanted the day to be perfect for you. She stated she should have known things weren’t going to go well when your dad locked all of you out of the house before church. I didn’t see the problem since they had car keys and could still get to church on time. Besides, everyone was properly dressed and they had your diaper bag.


 


I reminded Cindy the dedication ceremony itself was beautiful; you were perfectly behaved; and more people than we could have imagined came in support of the family. So what if some people left before Cindy could tell those folks thanks for coming?


 


Lexi, you’re going to learn your mom wants everything in your life, especially special events, to be perfect. I reminded her, and will have to continue reminding her, all good parents desire the same for their children; however, it is not a realistic expectation. I think she knows that in her head but it’s going to take her mom’s heart a while to accept it. She will one day learn to strive for perfect while knowing pretty doggone good is what she’s likely to get.


 


As Nanny Jan, I’m so much wiser as a mom than I was the first time around. By the time I realized I would never be the perfect mom, and, in fact, could be a much better mom once I accepted that, your mom was in college. I’m hoping to help her understand all she can do is her very best long before that day comes.


 


The longer your mom, Cindy, is a mom, the better she will understand decisions and/or mistakes I made as her mother. She will learn there’s no part of life that will ever be perfect but there are pieces of it which are pretty spectacular. Better yet, she will know beyond a shadow of a doubt that even the worst days of her life will have been made better just because you were a part of it.


 


Simply speaking, everything goes better with Lexi!


 


                                      Love Always,


                                      Nanny Jan





A special thanks to VisionaryPoet777 for the use of his artwork.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rdfrdmom2 All rights reserved.
Rdfrdmom2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.