General Science Fiction posted March 2, 2009 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Laura returns to the Listening Post

A chapter in the book The Listener

The Listening Post

by snodlander



Background
Laura is a Listener, a licenced telepath. The Guild warned her of a killer. Ted, a PI, contracted Laura for a job, but she recognised the client as the killer and told the Guild. The Guild illegally Listened to her and discovered Ted's involvement.
Laura didn't want to go home. The thought of spending the long afternoon in her cramped apartment, stretching into a longer evening, with nothing to do but hide under the covers from the bogie man, filled her with no delight. Ted had been right, it was a nice day. She walked for a while, following the course of the river, but the attraction soon palled. She jumped on a tram headed for the commercial district. She didn't want to work, either, but there might be someone at the Listening Post. They would be company at least.

There were two people in the Post. Laura's heart sank when she saw it was Tony and Judy, but any company was a bonus right now.

"Hi," she said, flashing them a smile.

"Laura, hi," said Tony.

"Hi Laura." Judy was grinning like lotto winner. "What's up?"

"Nothing much. You seem, um, happy."

"Mm-hmm," she said. Laura could almost swear she was expanding with the pressure of keeping something inside. Judy turned to Tony. "Can I tell her?"

Tony shrugged. "I guess you'd better, before you bust something."

"Tony's been offered a position with the Guild." She reminded Laura of a teenager who had just been asked to the prom by the school hunk.

"Congratulations," Laura said.

Tony tossed his head dismissively. "It's not much, not a paid position or anything, but they've offered me the job of local Guild rep."

"Oh, it's more than that, honey," said Judy, laying her hand on his knee. "They're offsetting some of his training debt against the role, plus he gets to represent us at council. And then there's the media. I expect the local news crews will want to interview him when they're doing a Listener story. Imagine me, living with an honest-to-goodness TV star."

"Now you're just being silly," said Tony. He coloured slightly. "Still, it's a start. They say they want someone who's not afraid to stand up for what's right. And if things pan out right, this could be a leg-up onto more important things. We all need to be more assertive with this Neilson crap going on." He placed his hand on Judy's. "You feel better for getting that out your system now?"

"Oh my God, Laura," said Judy. "You have no idea how desperate I was to tell someone."

"Well, it's a relief. I thought you were going to tell me you were pregnant."

Judy screamed with laughter. "Oh my God. You know, I don't think that would be as exciting. I mean, anyone can get pregnant, right? But how many people get to represent their colleagues? Hey, do you think you'll get to testify before the Neilson committee?"

Tony chuckled. "Give me a chance, honey. I'm just the new local rep. No one outside the city will have heard of me. Anyway, enough. What are you up to, Laura? You aren't normally around at the weekend. Times tough?"

"No, I'm not touting for work. I just needed company, that's all, and I'm a lonely old maid with no friends."

Judy frowned. "That sounds like a plea from the heart, hon. What's up?"

Laura took a deep breath. She needed to tell someone.

"You know that photo the Guild showed around yesterday?"

"The serial killer that's stalking Listeners?" asked Judy.

Laura nodded. "Well, I've just had a cup of tea with him."

Judy clutched her cheeks, her eyes wide. "Oh ... my ... God!" she breathed. "You are joking!"

"Well, at least I had the best news for two minutes," said Tony. Judy slapped him on the leg, more from habit than anything else.

"Shut up, idiot. Oh my God, Laura, for real? That's awful. What happened? Tell us."

Laura recounted her story again, leaving out Ted's involvement.

"My God. And he didn't kill you?" said Judy, when Laura finished.

Tony laughed. "Well, she'd hardly be telling us about it if he did, would she, thicko?"

Judy slapped him again. "You know what I mean. He didn't try, I mean. He didn't make a move on you or anything?"

"You'd be horrified at how long it's been since a man made a move on me," said Laura. She meant it as a joke, but Judy's pitying look told her it missed its mark.

"You must be in a terrible state," she said. "Listen, hon, you can't go home. Not to your lonely apartment, not on your own. You have to come home with us, doesn't she?" She turned to Tony for confirmation.

"Um, sure, yeah," said Tony, thrown by the sudden offer. "Sure you can, if you want."

"After all, Tony's the new rep. That's what he's here for."

"I'm not sure that's in the job spec, honey," he said. Judy slapped him on the leg, this time with more force. "But of course, we'd be delighted to have you," he continued, rubbing the spot where Judy had hit him.

"Thanks, I appreciate the offer, but I expect you want to celebrate your new role, don't you?"

"Nonsense," said Judy. "Seriously, Laura, you need to come home with us. I mean it. We've got a put-u-up you can use."

Laura wasn't sure what she relished the least, Judy's wide-eyed drama queen act, or the lovey-dovey spooning the couple would inevitably regress into.

"No, I'm fine," said Laura, smiling.

For a moment it looked as though Judy was going to argue, but Tony laid his hand on her knee.

"That's fair enough. She's a big girl, babes, and if she doesn't want to, you should respect that. But you know, Laura, our door's open if ever you want us, all joking apart. If you want to come home with us, that's fine by us. We've got to stick together, right?"

"I guess. How long are you guys hanging around for?"

"Here? Till five, I guess," said Tony. "You never know, someone might want some work. Besides, the Guild sort of implied I should hang around the Post as much as possible, in case someone needs some help. But listen, if you two want a girly afternoon doing whatever it is you girls do, then feel free. So long as you don't spend any money," he added, giving Judy a mock-stern look.

"No, that's fine," said Laura. "I'm going to grab a tea from Marco's and just hang around, catch up on mail, that sort of thing. You guys want a coffee?"


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. snodlander All rights reserved.
snodlander has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.