General Science Fiction posted February 17, 2009 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Ted cinvinces Laura to meet John Smith

A chapter in the book The Listener

The Guild don't run death-squads

by snodlander



Background
Laura is a Listener, a licenced telepath. The Guild have warned her of a Listener killer. Ted, a PI, wants her to Listen to a client to establish if he's telling the truth. They meet at a restaurant to talk it over.
"That's it?" said Laura. "Tell me, was he wearing his underwear on his head?"

"Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but he seems to be a crazy with money. He's put the fee in a bond, just as he said, conditional on me delivering the goods." Ted pushed the plate away and waved the bottle of bud lite. "I'm tempted to take it, if he's on the level. If you can certify he definitively hasn't done anything wrong, then I can register that with my law firm. That should cover me in the event of the police finding out I'm involved, and allay his fears that he might disappear with no trace. It would be difficult to argue with a Listener certification."

"Well, it's not my neck, Ted. If you want me to Listen to him, then fine, it's a standard truth and tell, but how deep a hole do you want to dig for yourself? The police can make it pretty unpleasant for you if they really do suspect him of being a terrorist."

Ted shrugged. "What can they do? If he's right, and he does have the backing of some politicians, then once he's testified he's pretty much fireproof, so that should go for me too. The only risk is if someone finds out that I'm helping him, and the only other person that knows is you. Are you going to rat me out, Laura?"

"Rat you out? Have you been watching children's TV again? Who says things like that? Honestly, who?"

"So, is that a 'no'?"

"No, Ted. I will not 'rat you out', not if he's done nothing wrong. If he's really a criminal, then sure, I shall be onto the police in a flash, just as quickly as you will. But if he's legit, then neither of you have anything to fear. Want me to sign in blood? Of course, it won't be my blood."

"No, that's fine. One other thing I have to ask, though, before we arrange a meet. He says the Guild are after him too. Where do you stand on that?"

"There he is either lying or delusional. The Guild isn't some secret police force, sending death squads to take out anyone who says bad things about Listeners. Christ, the streets would be littered with bodies if that were the case. They're just a trade organisation, Ted, nothing more. There's no secret agenda. He probably just said that to avoid being Listened to. Which tends to make me believe this is all bullshit on his account, anyway."

"Okay, but just supposing this. Just suppose you Listen to him, and he's legit; the Guild really are after him for nothing he's done illegal, just because his evidence could be detrimental to the Guild."

"Won't happen," said Laura firmly.

"Okay, but just suppose it did. Where would you stand, Laura? Would you turn him over to the Guild, even if he was innocent?"

"'Turn him over to the Guild?' Listen to yourself, Ted. The Guild don't have a secret squad of enforcers. But, just to indulge you, if this nutcase is truly innocent, if he really is the victim of a police frame-up and a Guild conspiracy, then, no, Ted, I would not deliver him to secret Guild assassins. Neither will I deliver you over to be vanished by police death-squads or alien abductors, no matter how great the temptation. What I choose to divulge to Guild reps is mandated only for violations of Guild regs, and to the best of my knowledge there is no regulation that says I can't help innocent nutcases hide from the Guild, the police, or the fairies that live under the stairs."

"You're pretty sure he's a nutcase, then."

Laura shrugged. "Either that or a liar. I guess I'll know when I Listen to him. I'll tell you what, though. There's no way I'm meeting him in some deserted car park. I want witnesses around, people who will notice if he sticks an ice pick into my brain."

"I'll protect you, my little damsel in distress," said Ted, smiling.

Laura gave Ted a look that suggested that of the two, Ted had more to fear on that count.

"So you'll meet up with him to Listen, then?" asked Ted

Laura shrugged. "Yeah, why not? But somewhere public, the Listening Post, maybe. If he's a nutcase, I want to manage the risk."

"I'm pretty sure he won't go for the Listening Post," said Ted. "He's got paranoid delusions about the Guild, remember? What about somewhere like a restaurant, somewhere where there are people about?"

"I guess."

Ted leaned back and smiled. "That's good, then."

"When are we going to meet?"

"Now?" said a voice by her ear, as a hand fell lightly on her shoulder.

"Jesus!" yelled Laura, knocking her coke over and sending her cutlery clattering to the floor. Ted unsuccessfully tried to hide his laughter behind his napkin as Laura desperately dabbed at the tablecloth with hers. "You scared the bejebus out of me, you arsehole."

She turned to face the man sitting at the table behind her. She gave an instinctive smile of recognition an instant before her forebrain supplied where she recognised him from.

Looking back at her was the face in the photo the Guild had shown her.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. snodlander All rights reserved.
snodlander has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.