Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted August 1, 2008 Chapters:  ...63 85 -101- 103... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Six Word Story Contest: Happiness 101?

A chapter in the book On Your Mark! Get Set! GO!

Society's Yardstick?

by Mrs. KT








Happiness cannot be defined by numbers.



Recognized


If I may have your attention for a few moments:

Years ago, when my husband and I were building - by ourselves - our one and only "dream" home, a rather inquisitive and obnoxious neighbor stopped by and asked me how many fireplaces our home contained. Fireplaces? I responded, "Two." She quickly informed me that hers had four. I must say that I thought not only her question but her response odd. Who would care about the number of fireplaces in one's home? Why would anyone have four? Would my home be lovelier with four fireplaces? Would I be happier with four fireplaces? And why in the world was I bothered by her question?

I recently saw her at a gas station, (she was with her third husband), and I remembered that conversation when she asked me if my husband and I were still living in the "old" neighborhood. (Apparently, she had moved on.) But then I started to think about how ridiculously infatuated our society is when it comes to numbers: cars, homes, clothing sizes, degrees, weight, televisions, partners, spouses, businesses, awards, vacations, boats, cell phones, passwords, stars etc. The list is infinite. Our lives truly are often painfully defined/relegated/measured in terms of numbers...

So it goes. That's all I've got...for now. But it does make me wonder...

Fondly Yours,

diane kenel-truelove
(A 55 year old, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, 1 home, size 12 - if I suck it in on good days, 2 fireplaces kind of gal...)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Multi-Author Book
Add Chapter
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mrs. KT All rights reserved.
Mrs. KT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.