Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 27, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The price was paid in blood.

The Altar of Freedom

by Douglas Goff


Dear Great Uncles (X6) Samuel and Abraham. 

First, let me say that I am proud of you both for your part in history.  I actually discovered you quite by accident while searching for a different relative. 

Suddenly there you two were in a medical log at Valley Forge, suffering from scurvy while serving in the Continental Army. 

I learned that from December to February (1777-1778) you guys dealt with 6 to 16 degree weather that winter. 

Cold, sickness, and lack of proper food and clothing led many to desert. But you stood by General Washington, believing his words of impending relief and a better future.  

In August of 1779 you joined in a night raid under Major “Light Horse” Harry Lee and attacked the British fort at Paulus Hook (Powles Hook). The fort was positioned in what is now downtown Jersey City. 

You had a great victory that day in what is now known as a key battle in the Revolutionary War because it shifted American morale. You men took the fort, and although our side had to relinquish it as indefensible, fifty British soldiers were killed and 158 were captured.  

While we only suffered two casualties, one was unfortunately you, Uncle Samuel.  There is a monument to the battle still standing to this day in Pocket Park in Jersey City.

So, I bet you are wondering what kind of nation your suffering and sacrifice helped create?  

I can tell you that just under a hundred years later, the nation fought a bloody civil war over state versus federal rights. Thousands died, but the question of ‘all men were created equal’ was firmly solidified by the war and a race of enslaved people were freed.  

More than a hundred years later, the world exploded in two separate world wars. The country you helped establish joined both conflicts and turned the tide against great evils to re-establish world order. 

Unfortunately, wars are still being fought. Your descendants have fought in ALL of them. Some have died heroes.  

My daughter, who is your thirteen-year-old niece (X7) is half-Hispanic, born in the country you sacrificed to create. Her name is Grace. Recently her classmates called her a ‘border jumper’ and told her that she is sad because she is not white.  

This upset Grace greatly. So while many things have changed, some things have unfortunately not.  

I think it would make you smile to know that I relayed the story to Grace about her Great Uncles Samuel and Abraham who spent a frosty winter suffering with scurvy under General George Washington in the Continental Army. I explained that she was more American than the kids who were harassing her. This brought a huge smile to her face and she plans to do a history report/speech about the two of you. 

Your sacrifice for this great nation is still having IMPACT to this very day, 247 years later. That, my uncles, is a fantastic legacy.  





Research through National Parks Archives and Rosters:

Last Name: *****

Rank: Private

State: Virginia

Regiment: 10th Virginia

Brigade: 2nd Virginia

Division: 5th

Company: Capt John Mountjoy

Discharge Date:

Date of Birth:

Spouse First Name:

Comments for DEC 1777:

Comments for FEB 1778:

Comments for APR 1778: Sick Present

Comments for JUN 1778:

First Name: Samuel

ID: VA13966

Rank Type: Rank and File

Ethnicity:

Regiment Commander: Col John Green

Brigade Commander: BG George Weedon

Division Commander: MG William Alexander

Comments for JAN 1778: First Borne On Roll With Remark; Sick In Camp

Comments for MAR 1778:

Comments for MAY 1778:

Reference:

Remarks: PART OF 10TH VIRGINIA REGIMENT DURING VF ENCAMPMENT, BUT TRANSFERRED TO THE 6TH VIRGINIA REGIMENT IN SEPTEMBER 1778. COMPLETE RECORD OF BOTH REGIMENTS FLED WITH THE RECORDS OF THE 6TH.

CONGRATULATIONS on being a proud descendant of those who served under General George Washington at Valley Forge!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Douglas Goff All rights reserved.
Douglas Goff has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.