General Non-Fiction posted April 27, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Raising a California family was fun

California Style Family Life

by patcelaw



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
As we raised our family
in the California sun,
watching our daughters grow
was always  a lot of fun. 
 
When I went to California as a 20 year old. Two days after I arrived in California, I met a very wonderful man. In less than six months he became my husband. We lived in California the first 32 years of our lives together. Most of those years were in Southern California.  There  was always a lot of sunny weather. Also a lot of sunshine would come into our lives, as we were to be blessed with three beautiful daughters.

We married in January 1959 and had our first daughter born one year and 11 months after we married. We named this precious little girl, Penny and she truly was a delight because she was born on Christmas Day. What nicer day could there be than the one on which she was born.

 
In 1963 on June 14, our second daughter who we named, Pamela was born. Pamela was quite a different child.  The day she was born she looked like she might have been six weeks old already. Her birthday happens to be on America’s flag day.
 
Then just 15 very short months later,  I was to give birth to our youngest daughter, Patty. She was born on September 14, 1964. She was quite an unexpected child, but she was a very delightful child to raise.
 
For two years after our youngest was born, I had a very serious health problem and could hardly stand to be on my feet for longer than five minutes at a time. This was very stressful for me, because I had two children that were in diapers at the same time and that required a lot of work. It finally resulted that I had to have a hysterectomy to resolve the problem. When they did the hysterectomy, they found out what the problem was. Since I had had such large babies my uterus was stretched so much that there were varicose veins all over the uterus, which covered the uterus causing the uterus to be so heavy that it made it feel like I was turning wrong side out. 
 
Having achieved successful surgery and regaining my health, I began to feel very comfortable in my role as a mother and a wife. I begin to really enjoy life and began to enjoy my babies even more. The time just flew by and before I knew it my babies were all in school.
 
With my role as being the mother of our home, I took my role very seriously. It was important to me to teach my children skills they would need in their adult lives. One of the first skills I taught them was to be able to get up with their own alarm clock and not have to rely on mother to get them up. They each had their own alarm clock and they settled into that role very quickly and became responsible for getting themselves up without me having to call them. 
 
Another very important thing I felt I needed to teach my children, was to do the very best job that they could do as students. Just as it was their dad's job to go to work each day and make the money for the family and it was mother's job to stay home and take care of the home, it was to be their job to be good as students and do it to the best of their ability. I never expected them to get straight A's in school, but I did expect for them to do the very best they could do. They all three were very good students and we didn't have a problem with them doing well in their classes.
 
As parents, Wayne and I were very active in taking part in the activities of our children in their schooling years. When they all went to high school they were in the high school band and Wayne and I became band booster parent. We went with the band on trips to football games, to marching programs and various activities. It was an enjoyable time for us to be with them and we always enjoyed being there for them. 
 
The one and only year they all three were in high school together, each of them was on the principal's honor roll for the entire year. To be on the principal's honor roll. They had to have a 3.5 or better grade average which they did. When Penny graduated from high school, she had a 4.0 grade average for the full 4 years and was valedictorian of her graduating class of over 500 students. Penny usually does not like for me to talk about this particular part of her life, but I am very pleased to know that she made every effort to be a very good student and it has paid dividends for her now in the profession that she holds today. She is a CPA and does a marvelous job with the work that's required of her. 
 
There  are many more stories that could be told about their growing up years, but at this point in life, I am just very pleased to know that God gave me the wisdom and the understanding to help my children become the wonderful ladies that they are today. I love each of them more than they will ever know. 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.