Biographical Poetry posted April 28, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Visionary

Stevie Wonder

by Debbie D'Arcy

 
Don't fret about me being blind, he told his ma one day,
defying any Weakness, wishing shame to go away.
She blamed herself, a punishment that God had sought to bring.
"I'm happy," he exalted, Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing.
 
For Innervisions were his gift on which he soon relied
and found inside a rhythm that would beat his heart with pride.
From early age, he'd tap his feet and play on Happy Street,*
a place where he felt whole and Free, his Joyfulness complete.
 
Then, still so young, Respect and hope to set his world ablaze
when Motown Records signed him up for Future Sunny Days.
His first big hit with Fingertips would showcase this boy's art,
with bongos and harmonica, his path t0 fame would start.
 
His teenage years would mark a time of Positivity,
with study* and creating art, he worked intensively.
His hits would stall but not for long and soon would be in sight,
no need to be Uptight, he'd Smile, it's gonna be alright!
 
And, As his star would rise once more, new themes infused his songs,
reflecting on a Higher Ground mid global wars and wrongs,
for understanding is our goal, A Time to Love again
while Superstition leads us to deep suffering and pain.
 
Mid Black and White division, his song would be his call,
he'd pray that, when we fail or fall, may Heaven Help us All.
Can't Leave it in the Hands of Fate, don't be a hypocrite,
be strong and live in fortitude: Aint Gonna Stand for It!
 
Romance, as well, would sparkle with Cherie Amour, his wife,
when, Wonder-struck, he wooed her: You're the Sunshine of my Life.
For, wed three times, he'd never be Too Shy to Say, 'I Do',
or Call to Say I Love you for You Are my Dream come True.
 
From Baptist roots this star was raised with music in his bones,
enthralled then by Ray Charles, Sir Duke* and Satchmo's jazz-fuelled tones.
With mastery, this 'one-man band' evolved his complex styles
and crafted work so richly wrought that resonates, beguiles.
 
And, ever the performer on a mission visu'lised,
for six decades he Keeps on Running, lauded, idolised,
promoting peace and happiness with love to be the key,*
like Ebony and Ivory in perfect harmony.



Recognized

#11
April
2024


Image: courtesy of Google free pics; information sources: Wikipedia and other internet biographies.
Song titles have been used for the poetic purpose of the biography and may not necessarily relate to the context of the songs or the period. They may also be slightly amended or shortened to accommodate the meter.
Dates in brackets refer to original release. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Stanza 1: Weakness (1984); Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing (1973 on album Innervisions)
Born 1950 in Saginaw, Michigan, Stevland Hardaway Morris (later adopting his stage name) was born six weeks premature. Although not blind at birth, the condition of retinopathy (detached retinas) is believed to have occured as a result of the oxygen-rich atmosphere of his incubator. His mother blamed herself, believing it to be a punishment on her for doing wrong. In response, he reassured her as above.

Stanza 2: Innervisions (1973); *Happy Street (1964); Free (1989); Joy (Takes over Me - 1970)
* Happy Street - Self-taught at an early age to play piano, harmonica and drums,
he formed a partnership with a friend and, calling themselves Stevie and John, they played on street corners, parties and dances.

Stanza 3: Respect (1967); Future Sunny Days (1968); Fingertips (1963)
Fingertips (part 2) went to #1 when he was 13 years old, making him the youngest solo artist ever to achieve that accolade.

Stanza 4: Positivity (2005); Smile (1963); Uptight (Everything's Alright 1965)
Signed to Motown and mentored by producer, Clarence Paul, Little Stevie Wonder was launched into stardom. Recordings and touring followed but, at one stage, following a dip in appeal and fearful of his voice changing, the record company considered cancelling his contract. That said, he was unstoppable in his musical pursuits, continuing to write songs and *study classical piano. With professional guidance, the 'little' was dropped from his title and he came back with a vengeance with Uptight.

Stanza 5-6: As (1976 18th studio album Songs from the Key of Life); Higher Ground (1973); A Time to Love ( 23rd studio album); Superstition (1972); Heaven Help Us All (1970); Can't Leave It in the Hands of Fate (2020); I Aint Gonna Stand for It (1980)
For most of his 50 year career, he's combined the power of his music with his deeply felt concern for social issues. His dedication to equality started at a young age when he met Rev Martin Luther King Jnr. and his life changed. After King's death, he took up a decades-long fight to have the nation recognise King's birthday as a national holiday. He paused his musical career to hold rallies trying to get Congress to pass the bill, eventually signed by Ronald Reagan. He's also organised and sung at charity events helping to raise awareness of global issues such as famine and AIDS and social issues at home.

"As an artist my purpose is to communicate the message that can better improve the lives of all of us."

Stanza 7: My Cherie Amour (1969); You Are the Sunshine of my Life (1973); Too Shy to Say (1974); Do I Do (1982); I Just Called to Say I Love You (1984); (You're my) Dream come True (1962).
His first marriage at the age of 20 was to Syreeta Wright, also a songwriter, with whom he collaborated for their next album: he on music, she on lyrics.Their aim was to touch on the social issues of the world. He wrote You Are the Sunshine of my Life for her. The marriage lasted 2 years.
He was then wed fashion designer, Kai Millard between 2001 and 2012.
Currently married, since 2017, to former teacher, Tomeeka Bracy.
He has a total of 9 children.

Stanza 8:*Sir Duke (Duke Ellington 1977); *Satchmo (Louis Armstrong).
Not only does he have a unique voice and diverse musical talent but his use of synthesizers and other electronic instruments during the 70s reshaped the conventions of contemporary R&B.

Stanza 9: Keep on Running (1972); Ebony and Ivory (with Paul McCartney 1982).
He emerged, through his artistry and, particularly, his album, Innervisions, as a visionary, a force of nature with a life purpose.
In 1973, he was involved in a serious car accident which left him in a coma for 4 days. Despite his doctor's orders to refrain from work he defied them to perform at a benefit concert.
In 2019 he announced he would be undergoing a kidney transplant.
* key - his handprint with autograph: "LOVE IS THE KEY Happy Birthday Dr King 9.26.83" can be found at Atlantic City Boardwalk, New Jersey.

Singer-songwriter, musician and record-producer, his music crosses a range of genres including: R&B, pop, soul, gospel, funk and jazz. He has sold over 100 million albums, won 25 Grammy Awards and a Oscar for his music in the film The Woman in Red and is one of the most successful artists of the 20th century.

"He's so multi-talented that it's hard to pin-point what it is that makes him one of the greatest ever. But, first, there's that voice. Along with Ray Charles, he's the greatest R&B singer who ever lived." (Elton John).

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Debbie D'Arcy All rights reserved.
Debbie D'Arcy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.