Biographical Poetry posted April 21, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
With a Child's Heart

Michael Jackson

by Debbie D'Arcy

 
This child was groomed from six years old to join his brothers' band,
a choice bestowed and threatened by his father's vicious hand.
Too Young to understand life's joy, his Childhood lost in fear,
instead was poised for greater things beyond his lowly sphere. 
 
Behind the Mask, he took the lead and spun his magic charm
with youthful rhythmic dance moves that would captivate, disarm.
In bold, eye-catching fashion, This Is It, they would arrive -
these brothers crafted perfectly and called The Jackson Five!
 
Though inequality was rife and Black or White still reigned,
they'd tour and enter contests in whichever joint remained.
In Demon Speed their path was set with Michael as their star,
We're Almost There, to Rock with You, this act was going far!
 
And Workin' Day and Night, with heart, this whirlwind on the stage,
would stunningly transform himself, belie his tender age.
At thirteen he'd go solo, heralding A Brand New Day.
This Time Around was Michael's own, his limelight here to stay.
 
The Seventies would open up another world of fame
with record deals that magnified his talent and his name.
This boyhood idol swept along, still spinning in his dream,
was caught between his father's belt and love-struck teenage Scream.
 
Behind the enigmatic Smile, his Ghosts would haunt this lad,
reminding of oppressive taunts* and image he was Bad.
To swathe his wounds, misjudgement lay in surgery and pain,
believing in a racist myth that love would be his gain.
 
Invincible, a fairyland and Happy place to be,
he purchased then a fantasy to share his dream, be Free.
His Peter Pan* would yearn to fly and capture misplaced youth,
a time You Got to Be There to learn innocence and truth.
 
But, though his world would seem complete, it bore a woeful sign
that this was deeply Dangerous, his future On the Line.
Amid the rides and robots,* a magnet meant to lure,
suspicion that in Neverland his motives less than pure.*
 
Denying claims and marching on, this icon would endure,
with Bubbles* on his shoulder he would Beat It then on tour.
His showmanship was legend'ry, a Thriller to the core,
the crowds would be ecstatic, Off the Wall and Shout for more.
 
For this was an illusion of his troubled Cry inside, 
an actor or magician with his inner self denied.
His marr'ages, a sideshow, while his star was fading fast,
this shipwrecked soul in stormy seas, left clinging to the mast.
 
He rocked the world, against the odds, in meteoric rise
and blessed us with his Moonwalk* that bewitched our star-struck eyes.
But artistry so carved from plight, his demons sought to stop
and, Gone Too Soon he lost his fight, this tragic King of Pop.
 



Recognized

#6
April
2024


Image: courtesy of Google free pics; information sources: Wikipedia and other internet biographies. Title description: With a Child's Heart (1966)

Song titles have been used for the poetic narrative of the biography and may not necessarily accord with the context of the songs or their period. They may also be slightly amended or shortened to accommodate the meter. Dates in brackets refer to original release. I'm grateful for your kind understanding and hope you enjoy this.

Stanza 1: Too Young (1973); Childhood (1995)
Michael Joseph Jackson was born in 1958 in Gary, Indiana. He was the 8th of 10 children. His father had played guitar in an R&B group and appears to have lived vicariously through his children, determined that they would find the more widespread fame that he had lacked. He would regularly whip them should they make any mistakes during rehearsals, a punishment that seems to have had greater impact on Michael (the youngest) than the others.

Stanzas 2-3: Behind the Mask (1980); This is It (2009); Black or White (1991); Speed Demon (1989 France only); We're Almost There (1975); Rock with You (1979).
He joined his brothers in the group in 1964. Segregation was still prevalent and venues such as clubs and strip tease lounges were often used. It would have been this kind of discrimination that would have later influenced his support (benefit concerts) for equal rights.

Stanzas 4-5: Workin' Day and Night (1979); A Brand New Day (1978); This Time Around (1995); Scream (1995).
Michael quickly became the star attraction and by the age of 13 opted to go solo, albeit maintaining ties with his brothers. This marked the emergence of a teen idol from a child performer. Already he was being described by Rolling Stone as a prodigy with "overwhelming musical gifts."
Signed up with Motown Records, the family moved to California.

Stanza 6 Smile (1997); Ghosts (1997); Bad (1987)
Obsessed by his image and haunted by *emotional/racist abuse from this father, referring to his "fat nose," he underwent a number of plastic surgeries on his nose and chin as well as changing his skin colour by treating his vitiligo, eventually using bleach. His childhood infatuation with Diana Ross lasted from throughout his life to the extent that he even changed his appearance to resemble her.

Stanzas 7-8: Invincible (2001-10th and final album); Happy (1983); Free (2012); You Got to be There (1972); Dangerous (1991 - 8th studio album); On the Line (1996)
He bought the 2700 acre ranch in 1988 turning it into an entertainment complex with zoo and fairground and naming it Neverland after JM Barrie's fairy tale, *Peter Pan.
* robots (after his famous robot dance)
*Children would be invited to stay in the property and this led in turn to allegations of sexual abuse which he always denied. In 2005 he was acquitted on 7 counts of child molestation and 2 of intoxicating a minor with alcoholic drinks. This whole protracted period was an extremely stressful period for him.

Stanza 9: Beat It (1983); Thriller (1982-6th studio album); Off the Wall (1979); Shout (2001).
* Bubble - his pet monkey that reflected him still more as some kind of Disney fantasist.

Stanza 10: Cry (2001)
Married twice: firstly to Lisa Presley in 1994 with press speculating that it was an attempt to deflect attention from the sexual offence charges and jump-start Lisa's singing career. They divorced less than a year later. He married Debbie Rowe in 1996, a union that produced Prince (1997) and Paris (1998). A third child, Blanket was born in 2002 to an unidentified Mexican nurse.
For his last 4 years since the trial, he lived as a virtual recluse, broken by the allegations. As a result, his debts continued to mount.

Stanza 11: Gone Too Soon (1993)
*Moonwalk (or backslide) - Michael's famous dance became popular around the world when he performed it during a performance of Billie Jean in 1983.

In failing health, addicted to such prescription drugs as opioids since 1984, the appointed King of Pop died in 2009 following a cardiac arrest, caused by a prescription drug overdose. He was 50 years old. His doctor was later sentenced to 4 years imprisonment for involuntary manslaughter.

Singer, songwriter, dancer and philanthropist, during his four decade career his contributions to music, dance, fashion and civil rights, along with his personal story, made him a global icon and one of the most significant cultural figures of the 20th century.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Debbie D'Arcy All rights reserved.
Debbie D'Arcy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.