General Fiction posted April 10, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A treasure even a marauding pirate can't claim

Her Heart, His Sword

by Begin Again


 
 
 
On a moonless night, Captain John Duggan sat alone on the Golden Maiden, anchored off the secluded Cove of Landon, hundreds of miles from the woman he loved. His men were in town at a local pub, blowing off steam, but he preferred the solitude.

With a bottle of his favorite whiskey, he gazed up at the stars, mesmerized by the constellations. His mind was heavy with thoughts of Tess, his beloved wife. Her beauty was unmatched, with long cascading hair that flowed like molten gold and sapphire-blue eyes that sparkled like diamonds in the sun. He sipped his whiskey and dreamt of holding her in his arms and kissing her sweet lips.

He took a swig from the bottle, then raised it in the air, shouting into the wind, "Oh, gods of the sea, watch over my beloved wife, Tess, and our daughter, Isabella. May the sun, moon, and stars always brighten their way."

Two small dinghies skimmed silently across the water toward the ship. Captain Ryan McAllister and his marauding pirates emerged from the shadows like snakes, slithering up the side of the Golden Maiden. The men scrambled aboard and attacked from the rear, catching Duggan off guard. He fought with every ounce he could muster, but they outnumbered him, pinning his arms behind his back.

McAllister stood triumphantly in front of his foe. "Your life is mine, Duggan," he sneered.

Duggan snarled, "Take my life, you sniveling coward, but I promise you, Tess will never be yours." He struggled to free himself, but his fate was sealed.

Captain McAllister plunged the tip of his blade deep into his enemy's chest.

Duggan's blood stained the deck as he lay dying. He imagined Tess kneeling by his side, her eyes brimming with tears. He whispered her name and the wind carried her voice back to him, whispering, "I love you, John Duggan."

In his last moments, Duggan's gaze shifted heavenward, his eyes fixed on the starry sky. His hand reached up as if he could touch her face, and a weak smile played on his lips. "I will love you forever, my love."

As the dying pirate took his last breath, McAllister stood over his body, laughing, and vowed, "The beautiful Tess shall be mine."

*****

The tavern was alive with raucous laughter and clinking tankards as the pirates celebrated their last night on land before setting sail again. Captain Ryan McAllister stood at the center of the merriment; his tankard raised high in the air.

"To our love of the sea and beautiful women, depending on which we can get our hands on first!" he declared, his words met with cheers and laughter from his crew. As the men drank and sang together, their voices blending in harmony, they filled the tavern with the salty scent of the sea, the tang of rum, and the warmth of camaraderie.

McAllister had set his sights on Tess Duggan for months. He was a handsome and charming rogue with a glint in his eye and a smile that could melt even the iciest of hearts if he chose. He'd vowed to win her heart and take her to sail the high seas with him — his ultimate insult to Captain Duggan.

Lonely and desiring to be held in a man's arms again, Tess was drawn to Captain McAllister. His effortless charm and devil-may-care attitude reminded her of the love she had lost. But deep down, she knew that her heart still belonged to John.

She could feel his presence in the tavern, a ghostly whisper in the wind that called out to her. She struggled with her emotions, torn between the memory of her lost love and the dashing pirate who stood before her, offering her a new life on the high seas.

It was time for McAllister to return to the sea, but he still had not won Tess's heart. He'd asked her to walk with him along the shoreline. He knelt before her, his eyes filled with longing and desire, and begged her to come with him and leave the memories of Captain Duggan behind.

Young and impressionable, Isabela stood in the shadows, listening, praying her mother would not succumb to this ruthless man's charms.

But a ghostly figure appeared just as Tess was about to give in. It was Captain Duggan, his form shimmering in the moonlight, his eyes filled with love and longing. He reached out to Tess, his hand ghostly and ethereal, and whispered, "Tess, he took my life so he could have you."

Her heart stopped, her breath catching in her throat. She knew then that Captain Duggan was still with her, watching over her from beyond the grave. She turned to Captain McAllister, her eyes filled with tears, and cried, "I will always love John. There is no room in my heart for the likes of you."

The Captain's face turned dark with rage, his eyes flashing with anger and jealousy. He stood up, his fists clenched at his sides, and vowed, "I'll take you and whatever I want by force if you refuse to come to me willingly."

Tess shouted, "Never will I be yours!"

He grabbed her arm and dragged her up the walkway and onto his ship. She stumbled to the deck. The salty sea air whipped through her hair as she tried to stand, praying for a way to escape.

She had always known that McAllister was a ruthless man, but she never imagined that he would murder the man she loved to claim her as his mistress. Tess shuddered at the thought of being with him, knowing that her heart belonged to John and only John.

But despite her defiance, McAllister was determined to have her. He approached her now, his eyes dark with desire and something more sinister. "You will be with me, Tess," he growled. "I have spared your life, but I will not hesitate to take it if you continue to defy me."

Tess stood firm. Her chin raised in defiance. "I will never be yours, McAllister. My heart belongs to John, and it always will."

The pirate's face contorted with rage, and before Tess could react, he raised his sword and struck her across the cheek. She stumbled backward, pain spreading across her face as blood trickled down her chin. But even in her weakened state, Tess's spirit remained unbroken.

As she struggled to stand, a commotion broke out on deck. Isabella, Tess's young daughter, stood before McAllister with a look of fire in her eyes. "You killed my father," she spat. "And you will pay for it."

Isabella's childish heart always drew her to the pirate life, yearning for adventure and freedom. But now, that same spirit burned with a desire for vengeance. She raised her sword, the blade glinting in the moonlight as she prepared to strike.

McAllister laughed, his eyes cold as ice. "You think you can challenge me, little girl? You are nothing but a child."

But Isabella was unafraid. With a cry of defiance, she launched herself at McAllister, the clash of steel echoing through the air as their swords met in a flurry of blows.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the ship, First Mate Arron Steed watched the scene unfold with a mix of horror and disbelief. He was McAllister's bastard son, a secret kept hidden from the world. But now, as he saw his father's cruelty and betrayal laid bare, Steed knew he could no longer remain silent.

Steeling himself, he approached McAllister, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword. "Stop! Do you stoop so low to fight a woman and her child? You are a monster, Father. And I will not stand by while you destroy everything we hold dear."

Isabella screamed, "No, Steed. It isn't your fight. You cannot risk your life."

"I can and I will, Isabella. This man has destroyed any respect I might have clung to. I will stand by you and your mother." He turned to face his father. "So, what say you, Captain McAllister?"

McAllister's eyes widened in surprise at the sudden challenge, but he quickly regained his composure. "You would challenge me, boy?" he sneered. "You, who are nothing but a bastard in the eyes of the world?"

Steed met his father's gaze without fear. "I may be a bastard, but I am also a man of honor. And I will not let you continue to destroy the lives of those we care about."

With a roar of fury, McAllister lunged at Steed, their swords clashing in a fierce battle. The deck shook beneath their feet as they fought, the sound of steel ringing out as their blades met again and again.

As the battle raged on, Tess watched from the sidelines, her heart filled with fear and hope. Isabella had fought with a ferocity that belied her youth, her determination shining through even as McAllister tried to overpower her.

But it was Steed who eventually gained the upper hand. He disarmed his father with a swift, calculated strike, bringing him to his knees. McAllister's face twisted with fury and disbelief as his son stood over him, raising his sword to deliver the final blow.

But Steed hesitated, his heart torn between duty and compassion. In that moment of hesitation, McAllister seized his chance and lunged for the nearest weapon he could find — a dagger hidden beneath his coat.

Before anyone could react, McAllister plunged the dagger into Steed's side, a look of triumph in his eyes as his son fell to the ground, blood staining his shirt.

Tess cried out in horror, her heart breaking at the sight of Steed's fall. But even as she rushed to his side, she knew their fight was far from over.

As McAllister turned his gaze back to Isabella, a smile playing at his lips, he never saw the glint of steel in Tess's hand. With a cry of rage, she lunged at him, the dagger plunging deep into his heart.

As he fell to the ground, his eyes wide with shock, Tess stood over him, her chest heaving with emotion. "You will pay for what you have done," she hissed. "And I will never stop fighting for the ones I love."

She walked to the ship's railing and looked out over the sea, knowing Captain John Duggan was watching over her.

She heard him whisper in the wind. "I will always watch over you, my love, until we meet again in another life, on another shore."

Tess knew that the battle for justice and love was far from over. But with Isabella and Steed at her side and John Duggan in her heart, she was ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead. And together, they would fight for a better future, one where love and honor triumphed over darkness and betrayal.

 



Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by lynnkah at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.