General Non-Fiction posted April 6, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Talent and pluck and so much more!

Interview with...G W HARGIS!!

by Rachelle Allen


      Thank gawd for my Jewish Mommie Haranguing Techniques that I’ve obviously honed to an art form! When Gretchen released her last (fabulous) book, Coffee with Iris, (if you haven’t read it - either here in her Portfolio or, better yet, via the printed or digital versions available on Amazon and Kindle, respectively – please, please treat yourself. It is everything a book should be: captivating, uplifting, extremely well-written, sad, happy, triumphant, full of great characters, and all ensconced in a perfect plot line) [and no, for you suspicious types out there, I am NOT Gretchen’s agent, merely her #1 Fan!], I asked Gretchen if I could do a FS interview, but she declined, citing that she just wrote for enjoyment and fun and not to get noticed. She preferred to fly under the radar, she told me. (Unfamiliar with such a concept myself, I did a quick Google search…)

        This time, though, when I repeated the request (okay, fine; nagged the poor girl. It IS my birthright, don’tcha know.), I must’ve used juuuuuust the right combination of guilt and whining, because she acquiesced! My “WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! could be heard in every county within a fifty-mile radius.

        And so here we go with my first-ever interview of a PUBLISHED AUTHOR!! (Oprah – I’m coming for your crown, Baby!!)

        First and foremost, Gretchen, thank you for agreeing to do this! It means the world. I want everyone here to enjoy the personal side of you the way I’ve gotten to these past several years on our site.

        You’re from the lovely state of North Carolina. Born and bred? Or this is where you ended up after living somewhere else?

        I’ve been living on the Outer Banks – OBX – of North Carolina since 1995. I was born and raised in Richmond, VA. But I consider North Carolina my home. It has my heart. I’ve weathered a lot of hurricanes and Nor’easters, but I prefer them over city life.

        Most stories and books that I write are based in the fictional county of Patterson. It’s a blend of my part of the OBX and Currituck County to the north of us. It’s a place where anything can – and DOES! – happen.

        I get it; it’s that old Write What You Know concept. It’s definitely working for you!

        Now, for those of our readers here today who haven’t had the pleasure of becoming acquainted with you yet, I think this is the perfect moment to let them learn that, like Batman and Superman, you, too, have a daytime-hours alter ego to your “published author” side. Spill!

        Yes, it’s true. Forty hours a week, my alter ego is an unassuming pharmacy tech. I promise you, if you want to study people to hone your character-writing skills, work retail for a year. Most people are fine, but it’s a bonus when you get someone “colorful.”

                I couldn’t agree more! I was a waitress for a while.

            This “everyman” quality of yours is what you bring to all your books. (FIVE now! See Author’s Notes below) and I am convinced that that’s what makes them so endearing to us, your faithful readers.

            Who are the top three favorite characters you’ve ever created, and why?

           Top three characters? That’s tough. I love them all. They are very real to me. But, since you asked, I would have to say Dean French from The ‘Shine Baby, Miranda from The Miranda Chronicles - She helped me get through a very tough time with a narcissist at work – and, lastly, a tie between Iris in Coffee with Iris, who was based on my late mother, and July “Jay” Doucet from my novel July. I wrote that for my youngest son who was struggling with reading at the time. July has to deal with the ghost of his mother popping up. He can’t figure out why she is showing up for him.  So those are my top three-ish/four-ish.

                I love Miranda for her pluck and droll sense of humor and Iris for her warmth and class and the way, because she’s older, she gets The Big Picture. The other one-ish or two-ish I have yet to meet. But I will. My goal is to read every last post in your substantial portfolio!

            Do all your books have an inspiration from someone you’ve known or a situation you’ve experienced?

            Not every character is a doppelganger in real life. I might take a quality from one real person and incorporate it into a character, but most of the characters in my books and stories show up fully fleshed. They are very real to me. I can tell you what their favorite foods are, how they view themselves, who they voted for. I see myself as their therapist. I know their secrets.

           Oh, now that is a SERIOUSLY savvy way of approaching characters; you are their therapist! I have never once had that idea, but I’m going to give it a try next time I do something lengthy.               

           There are so many facets of your writing that I find irresistible: Your pacing is tremendous, I feel. Each chapter leads somewhere, but at the perfect tempo. The music teacher in me imagines that this is a very difficult talent to hone, but I feel you’ve mastered it.

            Next, I love-love-LOVE your penchant for dialogue – and this is the case in every book of yours I’ve read. I sense that your characters talk like you do with your friends.

                      I love dialogue. I remember reading a book when I was younger. I rewrote the dialogue my way in the margins. It had been so stiff and boring, so I livened it up!

            Hahaha. That’s hilarious. I can just picture Young You doing that, too: “Step aside, published author whose book I’m reading; let me show you how it SHOULD be done!”

            Also, I shake my head at the creativity you use for plots. You’ve told me, on several occasions, though, that you don’t write with a particular outcome in mind. I’ve heard best-selling writers say that, as well. Like you, they let their characters just take the reins and have at it.

            Have you ever had to back-track and re-do a chapter because that method got out of hand? It would be like a dressmaker having to rip out seams. Tell us what happened.   

                      I’m scrapping Miranda’s Trouble in Paradise. Somehow, her character wasn’t the same sassy Southern woman we all knew and loved. She was indecisive and weepy. I owe it to her and those who loved her character to do it right. Twenty-eight chapters that, for the most part, will be trashed. I might keep a couple of them. So, yes. My fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants style of writing has its pitfalls.

                Wow, Gretchen. That’s very brave and very unlike the “Ohh, I but this is my BABYYYYY!” lament I hear often after suggestions are made in reviews. Good writers can remain creative while still keeping an objective eye out to improve their work. And if that means a total overhaul, well, so be it.

             Speaking of creativity, yours is not limited to the written word. You’re also a mega-talented artist and craftsperson. I, in fact, am the proud owner of two small, hand-painted notebooks you made that I carry in my piano bag to lessons every day. My students have all marveled at the level of your work, and more than a few have bestowed QUITE the dubious look when I’ve informed them that I’m friends with the professional artist who painted them.

              I do love art. I paint, and, since COVID shut the world down in 2020, I’ve discovered collaging. I love tearing paper and finding patterns that go together to make an image.

              Your collages are INCREDIBLE!! The horse one was like watching Harry Potter bring an inanimate object to life as you posted your “in progress” work, day after day! I also love that you’re able to sell your pieces at your pharmacy!

              This gift of art came from your mom, right? I’d love to hear more about her. Did she teach you formally, or did you learn just from watching her as she worked? In which areas of art did she indulge?

               My mother painted in oils. She was very good. She would give me helpful hints, but I studied Fine Arts at Virginia Commonwealth University for three years.

               Was she well-known for her artwork? So many of your Facebook friends make references to her that my Little Voice tells me she was.

              Mom sold a few paintings, but usually, she couldn’t let them go. She also did copper enameling. I have several of her pieces displayed throughout my home.

              Was she also, like you, somewhat shy about the attention it brought her?

              Absolutely not. She loved being the center of attention. She never understood why I didn’t want that kind of attention. And, honestly, I never understood why she liked it.

              Oh dear gawd, Gretchen! You’re my daughter, Leah, and I’m your mom!

                         Lol. Tell your daughter to call me. We can talk.

                        Uh, the term “Hard NOOO!” has sprung immediately to my mind here. The world is definitely not ready for you two rebels to be friends!

             Let’s talk about your newest book, Missing the Other Alex. What’s it about, how did you come up with the idea to write it, and how long did it take to complete?  (I love that I’m your First Official Sale for it, by the way! It can’t arrive soon enough!)

            Missing the Other Alex was written quite a while ago. I always liked the premise of it: Do caregivers resent the person they are taking care of? Working in the pharmacy, I deal with caregivers on a regular basis. Some are fine, some can’t do enough for the person they take care of, and then there are those who just break down and cry. They can’t take it anymore. They’re cut off from the real world, and, yes, they resent the person they’re in charge of.

            You can’t judge them. Would I break under that pressure? I would hope not, but I just don’t know. But the brothers in this story have switched roles since the older brother, Alex, sustained a head injury. Now the younger brother, Ben, is taking care of him and trying to keep their family from falling apart. The dad is consumed with work, not really participating in the day-to-day life of the family while the mother has become a martyr, making sure to let everyone know how difficult it is having a handicapped son. It has some side characters who are actually strong supporting parts.

             Your daughter is the cover artist – as she was for previous books of yours. So, THREE generations of artists now! Is art what she wants to do for her Real Life gig? Go ahead; give her a plug. And make me proud, Gretchen; do it Jewish Mommie style!

              My daughter, Keirry, is the official artist for my covers. I just describe what I want, and she is good at figuring out what’s pleasing and eye-catching. Sometimes, what I want just won’t come across the way I think it will. Then she’ll offer gentle suggestions. She has good instincts. As far as doing this for a career, I think she’d be awesome at it, but I’m just not sure it’s her dream job. I am very proud of her.

                If you’d just added an “Oy,” that would have been perfect!

               Any final thoughts or comments you’d like to share with our fellow FanStorians?

               My final thoughts are just these: Don’t write for anyone other than the reader IN YOU. I think that was my problem in the second Miranda book. I lost sight of the character. I kept thinking I had to go bigger and bolder than before. She’s not that kind of character. She’s down-to-earth, salty as hell, and was just a fun character. When I start up again, I’m going to write it for MYSELF.

              Thank you for luring me out of my shell. I had a blast answering these questions.

              And thank you for allowing me the privilege and DELIGHT of your company and for being willing to step out of your comfort zone. I’m almost tempted to tell my daughter. Yeah, okay, not really. Anyway, you did a stellar job.

                    I hope you sell a million zillion copies of Missing the Other Alex, Miss Creativity. Nobody deserves the recognition more than you.

How about it, fellow FanStorians? Can we put this talented writer on the Amazon map and order the heck out of her book? Check the link below.




Recognized


Gretchen's books available on amazon.com

Missing the Other Alex
Coffee With Iris
The 'Shine Baby
Baby Steps
Rainy Day Adventures
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rachelle Allen All rights reserved.
Rachelle Allen has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.