General Fiction posted March 24, 2024 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Alan recruits for his programming class

A chapter in the book What We See

What We See - Chapter 25

by Jim Wile




Background
A high school teacher wrongly accused of sexual assault reinvents his life.
Recap of Chapter 24: It’s Halloween night, and Ginnie and Tommy pay a call to Alan’s shop dressed in costumes. Archie freaks out when he sees them and hides under the bench until Tommy pulls him out. He recognizes them without their masks and talking normally.
 
When Tommy returns from trick-or-treating, while eating candy, he tells Alan and Ginnie of his speech in his public speaking class and how he used Alan’s trick of playing along after he misspeaks.
 
In bed later that night, Alan thinks about dyslexia, and a few things Ginnie had said earlier plus Archie’s behavior tonight give him an idea for an invention that would help dyslexics understand the written word. The invention was a pair of glasses that would translate the written word into speech and read it back to the wearer.
 
 
Chapter 25
 
 
I decided not to tell anyone about this idea just yet until I’ve had a chance to think about it some more and decide if I’m just kidding myself with the concept and my ability to develop it, or whether I’ve really got something here, and I’m up to the task of turning it into a reality. I wasn’t sure just yet. I would have to begin doing some research about the various components and whether or not they can be fit together in an arrangement like the one I’ve envisioned.

In the meantime, I needed to keep developing the curriculum for my programming class and get ahold of some used computers to refurbish for my classroom. I pictured a hands-on class where the students would try things on their own in class and work on their assignments too in case they didn’t own a computer at home. I put a ‘used computers wanted’ ad in the newspaper to acquire a few. I pictured a class size of four students at a time. I decided to broach Tommy about becoming one of my first guinea pig students.

I had dinner that night at the Boardmans’, where I mentioned this to Ginnie first while helping her prepare the meal. She thought it would be great for Tommy and asked how much I planned to charge for it. “I’m thinking this first class will be free since it will largely be experimental to determine the best way to go about it for future classes. I’d like to try it out on middle schoolers first and see how they do with it.”

“Maybe Tommy can suggest some of his classmates who might be interested.”

“That’s kinda what I was hoping.”

When we were well into the meal, I said, “So, Tommy, I’m thinking of starting up my new computer programming class and was wondering if you’d like to be one of my first students in the class?”

“Sure, I would! I really want to learn how to write programs. I’d like to be able to create my own games using some of my artwork.”

“That’s a terrific goal, but the class probably won’t take you quite far enough for that but will instead introduce you to basic programming concepts and techniques. You’ve got to learn to walk before you can run.”

“So, I won’t be able to create games right away?”

“Afraid not. Simple ones, yes, but there’s a whole lot you have to learn first before what you’ve got in mind.”

“That’s okay. As long as it’s fun.”

“I think it is. I’m betting you will too. Here’s the thing. I’m thinking of a class size of four, and each of you would have a computer to work on. Is there anyone else you know around your age who might be interested in such a class?”

“Not sure. I can talk it up and ask around.”

“What about Artie?” asked Ginnie. “Do you think he’d be interested? He strikes me as a pretty bright kid. Not always so kind, but bright enough.”

“I don’t know how well he does in math and science, ‘cause he’s in 8th grade, and I’ve never been in a class with him. Do you have to be good at math to understand programming?”

“It sure helps. If you can do math well, it shows you have a logical mind, and that’s very important in programming.”

“I’ll tell him about it, and see if he’s interested.”

“Great. And if there’s anyone else you talk to who may be interested, I’ll be holding an orientation meeting for the kids and their parents in a couple of weeks where we’ll talk about what the class will cover. I’ll have details of that soon.”
 
 
 

The following day, Ida Beeman came in carrying a radio in a box.

“Afternoon, Miss Ida. What have we got today?”

“Hello, Mr. Alan. We got here a busted radio. Ain’t completely busted, but all fuzzy-sounding and I can’t seem to get my fav’rite station no more. Didn’t drop it or nothin’. Jus’ stop workin’ right.”

“Got it. If you can leave it, I’ll open it up and take a look inside and call you with what I find. I’ll give you an estimate then. Sound okay?”

“That fine, Mr. Alan.”

“Say, Miss Ida. I’m starting up a computer programming class for middle schoolers. I know your grandson is in middle school. Do you think he’d have any interest in learning to program a computer?”

“Leroy real quick wit’ numbers. That boy need sumthin’ ta get him off his butt and quit watchin’ that TV all day. He ain’t the best of students, but he bright enough. We don’t have no computer, though.”

“Wouldn’t need one. I’ll have them here. Maybe this would give him something to be excited about. Why don’t you have him come talk to me, and I can tell him about it and see if he’s interested?”

“I will, Mr. Alan. That be real good if he cotton to somethin’ beside that TV.”

“Great. I’ll call you tonight about the radio. I’ve got your number.”

“Awright den. You take care, Mr. Alan. I tell Leroy ta come see you.”

“Thank you, Miss Ida.”
 
 
 

That night at the Boardmans’ for dinner (we’d begun eating most of our dinners together now), Tommy mentioned he had talked to his friend Callie about the class.

“She said she might be interested in coming, but she wanted to talk to her cousin first. She said her cousin took some programming classes at college, and she wanted to ask her what it was like. I also saw Artie after school today and mentioned it to him. At first, he said no, but I guess he thought about it a little because later he said maybe.”

“Okay, great. That will be enough for now. I think Ida Beeman’s grandson may want to be in the class too.” I’ll start planning an orientation meeting and let you know when that will be.”

It’s been two weeks since I first decided to hold one, and tonight was the orientation meeting. During those two weeks, I purchased two used computers from folks who had bought newer models. I’ve upgraded the processors and the RAM and loaded the system disks with Microsoft BASIC—the programming language we would be using in class. I had prospects to buy a few more computers as well, so that I fully expected to have the required four for the class, which would begin in January after the holidays were over.

The meeting went well, and I have my four students all signed up and ready to begin in January. Besides Tommy the other three are Artie, Callie Lyons, and Leroy Beeman.

Callie seems like a real sweetie. Tommy had just invited her to the Christmas dance the week before Christmas, and she accepted. He had a few questions for us at dinner tonight.

“This is my first school dance. What should I wear to it?”

Ginnie said, “We always used to wear pretty dresses, and the guys wore jackets and ties. Alan, you were a high school teacher recently. What are the kids wearing these days to dances?”

“Well, it’s not a prom, so no need for formal dress, but jacket-and-tie is right. Do you have a good-looking sportscoat?”

“Do I, Mom?”

“Probably not one that fits anymore. I think you’re going through a growth spurt now, and the one you’ve got will be too small for you. I’ll take you to buy a new one this weekend. I’m sure Callie will probably be buying a dress to wear. I know I always wanted to buy a new dress for dances.”

“Will you drive us, Mom, or do you have a shift at the hospital that night?”

“I didn’t think of that. Let me check my schedule.”

“I’ll take them if you have a shift,” I volunteered.

“Would you? That would be so nice, if it turns out I’m scheduled for that night. Thank you so much!”

“Yeah, thanks, Alan,” added Tommy.

“Not a problem.”

He had a few more questions, but after he got them all answered, I decided to bring up my new invention idea. I’d been thinking about it off and on for the last two weeks, and I thought now might be a good time to tell Ginnie and Tommy about it.

“On a different subject, I want to run an idea by you both concerning something I’ve been thinking about since Halloween. Remember how Archie freaked when he saw you in your costumes and later relaxed when you talked to him and he realized it was you and not some monsters? Well, that gave me an idea for an invention.

“What if you could wear a pair of glasses that would see written words and translate them, so that a voice could read them out loud through a little microphone mounted on the glasses that only you could hear? Wouldn’t that go a long way for a dyslexic to understand better what he’s reading? And after a while, when he continually hears the correct interpretation of written words, it would help him to read them better on his own without the glasses. What do you think about such an invention?”

Ginnie said, “You’re kidding, right? If such a thing were possible, this would be the biggest discovery in dyslexia research ever. You’d probably make millions off it. Even blind people could use them if they knew where to point them. Is this possible?”

“That would be so cool, Alan,” said Tommy. “When are you going to make them?”

“To answer your mom’s question first, yes, I believe this is possible, and I’m planning to start working on them soon after I get the class up and running smoothly. When they’ll be ready for testing is anyone’s guess, but you can be my first guinea pig, when I do, okay, Tommy?”

“Yeah!”

Ginnie said, “Alan, this is amazing! Do you know enough to design and construct such a thing?”

“At this point, no. I have to be honest about that. But I’ve begun researching the fields of digital photography and text-to-voice applications because this invention would need to combine those two technologies into one integrated system for it to work. I’ll be able to concentrate my research more heavily after I get the class going.”

“Well, I wouldn’t go advertising this idea very much. You wouldn’t want anyone stealing it before you have a chance to patent it, or even afterwards if they were to infringe on that patent. I know that’s my suspicious nature talking, but I think that could happen if you aren’t careful.”

“You’re right. That’s good advice. Mum’s the word.”

Ginnie said, “Tommy, that goes for you, too. Don’t go telling anyone about this just yet, okay? This is a really important invention if Alan can actually make it.”

“Got it, Mom. I won’t.”
 



Recognized


CHARACTERS


Alan Phelps: The narrator of the story. He is a 28-year-old high school physics and natural science teacher in Grantham, Indiana in 1985.

Archie: David's orange tabby cat

Tommy Boardman: Alan's 12-year-old next door neighbor. He is dyslexic like Alan.

Ginnie Boardman: Tommy's mother. She is 30 years old and is an ICU nurse.

Artie Intintoli: Tommy's friend who also lives on Loser St.

Ida Beeman: Alan's first customer. She is a nice old lady who lives on Loser Street.

Leroy Beeman: Miss Ida's grandson and Tommy's friend.

Mrs. Dunbar: Tommy's 7th grade English teacher.

Callie Lyons: A nice girl in Tommy's class at school.




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jim Wile All rights reserved.
Jim Wile has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.