Writing Fiction posted March 18, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sherry wanted to be an influencer on YouTube.

YouTube Star

by HarryT

Write A Modern Fable Contest Winner 

Sherry dreamt of being a YouTube star. She developed her own channel, which focused on subjects that were of interest to teens. She dispensed local high school news and gave advice concerning fashion, exercise, diet and make-up.

She was moderately successful with 500 subscribers to her channel. But her dream was to go viral. She tried developing a dating site for teens. But no matter how hard she tried; her audience stayed small. Sherry thought she needed more realistic content. She decided to focus on real-life moments in the life of teenagers. She took her iPhone 15 Pro Max and off she went to the mall, the skating rink and to places where teens hung out including lovers’ lanes. Sherry would secretly film what was going on.

She aired her films. Her YouTube audience expanded. She was even able to attract businesses who paid to advertise on her channel. But, in the process, she was hurting students. Some whom she filmed suffered teasing and bullying, others were shunned. A crisis occurred when she aired a film of two football players kissing in a parked car after a game. The result was one boy attempted to take his life. His mother found him in the garage, with the car running. She was able to open the garage door and call 911 and they were able to save the boy, but he was never the same.

Sherry was shocked at what she had done. She never realized what she was doing could have such a tragic outcome. Guilt flooded into her heart. She couldn’t sleep and decided to shut her channel down.

And the moral of the story is popularity is not worth the price of hurting others.



Writing Prompt
Write a short fable-like story where the last sentence starts with: "And the moral of the story is". This can be on any subject, true or fictional, and can be in any voice, as long as the moral is stated in the last line. A new twist on an old fable is also allowed. Be creative and have fun! Maximum word count: 300.

Write A Modern Fable
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.