Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 9, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A man solves a murder case

Silent Witness

by Kate Chase

“So you didn’t actually commit the crime, David?”

“No! That’s why I’m so angry about having to talk to you through a glass panel!”

“But even people who really committed their crimes are angry about that.”

“Back to the point, investigator Shane. You said you thought I was innocent, explain.”

“During your trial, you were looking the judge straight in the eyes. You weren’t fidgeting or looking down like you were guilty, and someone brought up a detail on the case you hesitated, like you didn’t know if that detail was real or not.”

“What if I’m just a really good actor?”

“That’s what I thought, until I dug some more and found a video tape, from the night ‘you’ allegedly murdered someone. It showed a man running from the crime scene, but you are too broad to be that man.”

“Am I?”

“Yes, but I still wasn’t sure; the murder weapon was found in your house, the victim left all of his money to you, and someone with your physique was seen near the scene just minutes after the crime. But something was off, and I found out that you, sir, are a secret multi-millionaire, which means that you had too much at stake for murder, and you didn’t need his money.”

“Well, I…”

“Why’d your voice just trail off?”

“Over there.”

“He does look scrawny enough, but he’s wearing a lieutenant’s badge! Why would he commit the crime?”

“Why would I know?”

“Hmmm…”

“Stop staring at me!”

“Is there something you’re not telling me, David?”

“What? I-”

“What are you hiding? Tell me!”

“But- How-”

“Now!”

“Fine!...”

“Yes?”

“Someone has been blackmailing me.”

“Why didn’t you-”
“I’m almost certain it’s that man, he’s been following me everywhere around the prison, but a guy threatened to kill my family if I didn’t take the fall for him and go to jail…or if I told someone. You can’t bring this to the cops!”

“Oh…”

“Listen, I’ll try my best to help you, I want to get out of here and I’m sick of pretending I’m a murderer. My best friend was the victim, he had no family so he left his money to me. We’d been growing distant, he was acting strange.”

“Strange?” 

“He…well…he was getting very aggressive and defensive, he bought some new alarms and wouldn’t let me come to his house.”

“Like he was scared…”

“Yes! Exactly.”

“Tell me, David, do you know how that scrawny man and your friend George could’ve met?”

“No, George kept to himself most of the time.”

“How did he pass the time?”

“I don’t know what he did for fun, but every week, on Saturday nights I believe, we’d play cards together at his house before he got all scared.”

“Was he good at it?”

“What does that have to do with the case?”

“Just answer.”

“He was…pretty good I guess. Won most of the games, and loved to play for money. It always made him so happy. Even though it would only be $5 or so.”

“Aha! David, George was a gambler!”

“Okay?”

“It’s very possible he owed a lot of money to someone, and that someone killed him!”

“And that person also blackmailed me!”

“Yes, but why would they just kill him?”

"Good point. I have no idea."

"Hold on...I'm getting something...wait! You watched the news about that one casino that shut down because one of their card dealers were caught cheating?"

"I'm in jail."

"Right...well, one of the reporters actually interviewed the owner and he said he was going to track down whoever did it."

"Did he look like that man?"

"He did!"

"And, Shane, he was gone on one of the days since I've been here!"

“But how do we prove it was really him, David?”

“Hmm…”

“Wait! What if I ask him something only a lieutenant would know?”

“Like what?”

“I don’t know.”

“I have an idea.”

“Keep your voice down!”

“What if I asked him how many justices are on the supreme court?”

“That could work.”

“Try it Shane!”

“Okay… Hey lieutenant!”

“What do you need sir? Is this prisoner bothering you?”

“No, I was just wondering how many justices are on the supreme court. I don’t have my phone and I have no idea, plus every lieutenant should know this easily.”

“Oh…Uh…”

“Sir? Are you okay?”

“Um, yes.”

“Then what’s the answer?”

“Uh…five.”

“You sure?”

“Yes. At least from what my uh…teachers taught me.”

“Oh okay, thank you lieutenant.”

“Of course sir.”

“What did he say Shane?!”

“Shh! He said five, David.”

“But that’s completely wrong!”

“I know, he must be lying! He has to be your blackmailer and murderer.”

“Would you like to do the honors?”

“No, you should. You were the one who was falsely accused.”

“Well if you insist.”

“Go ahead, David.”

“...”

“Hello? Oh crap, I forgot, no one can hear him through the glass…”

“Why is everyone looking at me strangely?”

“You’re in a high security prison, people on my side of the glass can only hear you through the phone.”

“Oh…I forgot.”

“So I should say it then?”

“Yeah, go ahead.”

“POLICE! ARREST THAT LIEUTENANT!! HE’S A MURDERER!”

 



Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Kate Chase All rights reserved.
Kate Chase has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.