General Fiction posted February 26, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What happens when society itself implodes?

When Cultures Collide

by Mr. Green

When Cultures Collide

The Year: 2125

 

Two beings from another world stepped out of their ship. They walked a short distance until the captain stopped and looked over an angry planet with thick vines wrapped around light poles, roads that were pushed up allowing the plants to reclaim the terra fauna. Standing beside each other, the younger cadet began talking.

“Captain, I’ve never been here before.

“I was here many times in the years gone by,” the captain replied. This planet was the jewel of this galaxy at that time.”

The captain noticed an electrical storm in the distance, he spoke softer now, “I would many times look upon this world from the ship, and marvel at its beauty.”

The old captain paused for a moment. He was thinking that it was an odd thing to feel sad for a planet, and not for its inhabitants, as he looked upon the destruction that was before him.”

“Where are the beings of this world, where are the cities I was told about?” The young cadet waited for his captain to respond. But he just stood there.

“Captain... Sir, what happened?  What caused this kind of total destruction?”

The captain glanced at the young cadet. Then, putting his open hand out in front of him and passing it before them as if brushing the landscape, he told the young cadet; “Irresponsible-diversity, and greed is what destroyed this once beautiful planet.”

The young cadet had never heard his captain talk of such things. “What do you mean, Captain?”

“It’s a long story, and I do not believe I will have enough time to explain.” The captain could see the interest in the young cadet’s eyes. “Let me just say this; Diversity without maturity, is irresponsible, and when societies are blind to this fact, then bad things happen.”

The captain adjusted his breathing device, then he turned and started to walk back to the ship when he noticed the young cadet was not at his side. He was staring out over a landscape of destroyed buildings, rubble, a brown-green river flowing over broken roads, with plants taking over the ground beneath him.

The captain called out. “We haven’t much time, we have work to do.”

The young cadet ran up beside his captain. “Sir, what is the name of this world?

They could hear the electrical charge in the clouds.  Then as the ship opened for them to enter, the captain said;

“We call this planet… Earth.”

 

 

 





When I began this story, I was thinking about an idea for a short novel. Then my personal time got broken up into fragments and I wasn't sure when I would make it back here. So, I decided to post what I had written.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mr. Green All rights reserved.
Mr. Green has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.