Fantasy Fiction posted February 7, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
homage to future heroes of the past

A Handful Of Clouds

by jim vecchio


My name is Lieutenant Jack Farman .

Farman. That’s a laugh!

I was never a spaceman. I’m just a normal guy with both feet on the ground. Once I trained to be pilot for the C-57 Series. It’s just a fantasy now. I want to touch the universe. I can’t even grasp a handful of clouds.

They say I’m needed here. I understand the workings and procedures of the World Space Patrol ships better than any other. Any, that is, except Colonel Sam Zodiac, ace pilot and commanding officer, and Doctor Venus Arianna, expert in space medicine and personal assistant to Colonel Zodiac.

They say I can be counted on in a pinch to assist all space flights and am much needed on the ground. Mostly, I’m here to be the whipping boy for Commander Wilbur Nero, hoping one day to earn his way to become a General.

Yes, they say I’m needed. That’s a laugh! Did Commander Nero hear my plea when he put the C57 series on hiatus?? When he withdrew the line for, as he called it, “necessary innovations?” When most of the crew were allowed furloughs, which Commander Nero also said was “necessary?”

I begged the Commander. “Why do they call us The World Space Patrol?” I told him, “That’s because the world is counting on us!”

“It’s not as if I’m shutting the organization down,” he replied. “It’s because the world is counting on us that I want our men fresh and hale and our ships, ship-shape!”

Of course, Commander Nero had his way. He reminded me the universe is enjoying its first prolonged peace in a very long time. To further satiate me, he let Colonel Zodiac and Doctor Venus remain on duty and left us with two primitive vessels, the Polaris I and Polaris II. Oh, I maintained them in good condition, but they were smaller freighters, each capable of carrying only two passengers. Oh, well, only two able astonauts were available, Colonel Sam Zodiac and Venus.

Venus! How I adored her! And how I envied Colonel Zodiac, her constant companion in space. The two of them were living idols and legends.

If only I could get close to her.

During one of her rare moments solo in my lab, I tried to confess my feelings for her.

I gazed into those starry eyes and became tongue-tied. All I could manage to say was, “D-d-doctor Venus, is there anything I can do for you?”

She must have read my mind, smiled, said, “Not, thank you!” and gave me a small kiss on the cheek.

That kiss so moved me that I had to search for words. That was when Colonel Zodiac’s voice came from the outer room. “Venus, come here, please. I have something you need to see.”

I heard muffled talk from the room and both re-entered my lab with grim looks on their faces.

“What’s up, Colonel?” I asked.

“There’s an object heading our way,” he replied.

“What a time for Professor Reddick to be furloughed!” I said, slamming my hand on the lab table. “I tried to tell Nero we needed more reinforcements!”

Colonel Zodiac shook his head. “Well, they are gone, and that’s that! Thank God there’s been nothing yet Venus and I couldn’t handle. Point the Viso screen to coordinates 104H north and 37.5G south.”

We all peered into the skies at the object falling towards us. Immediately, we three were able to get a good view and identify it.

“It’s the Altaira 7,” I explained.

“Yes,” Venus continued,“The exploratory craft sent to explore and photograph that strange world of Alanna.”

The colonel added, “That’s a world that we know can sustain life, yet has defied our efforts to communicate.”

“What could it be doing here, falling towards earth?”

“We don’t have time to guess,” responded Colonel Zodiac.

I switched on the radiometer. “Oh, No!” I cried. “Indications are there’s a Level 8 Explosive on board!”

“Great Galaxies!” shouted Colonel Zodiac. “That’s enough to blast a good size hole on earth!”

“And tilt earth off its axis!” added Venus.

“We can’t take any chances,” said the colonel. “Let’s grab one of the vessels! I want to explode that thing close up and personal! Well, personal enough to be out of harm’s way as it happens!

”Thank God the spaceatronic missiles are still aboard!” I added.

Colonel Zodiac asked about the fuel supply and provisions.

I told him the cruiser was all set for any needed space voyage.

“Good!” he replied. “Cause when this thing is over with, those Alannians are going to have some visitors!”

Then Colonel Zodiac issued his usual when-in -a crisis words, “Are you ready, Venus?”

“Ready, Sam,” she replied.

“To the Jet Cycles!”

Before Colonel Zodiac could hop onto his cycle, I thrust  a tiny device into his hand.”

“What’s this?” he asked.

“Just a little gadget,” I replied, “Let’s call it an insurance policy. It’s a miniature receiver and sender just in case…well, just in case!”

Colonel Zodiac placed the device inside his suit pocket.

The colonel was first out the door. Before Venus could exit, I grasped her arm. “Venus, I-I…”

“I know, Jack,” she responded. She kissed my hand and ran off to her jet cycle.

Colonel Zodiac and Dr. Arriana sped on their cycles to the waiting Polaris I.  In the larger spacecraft series, they would cruise straight into the cargo hold with their cycles, then into the cockpit. With the Polaris I, they had to abandon their serviceable vehicles by the launching strip, before entering.

I spoke the countdown. Then, the ship took off.

Colonel Zodiac set the craft into hyper-light speed motion, and in a short amount of time, he was close enough to the object to explode it without risk to his ship.

“Ready Sam?” asked Venus.

“Ready, Venus.

He aimed the space laser and fired at the target.

There was a terrible explosion. But, deep in space, no one heard the blast.

“Object annihilated!” Sam screamed.

“Congratulations, Sam!” Laughed Venus.

“Now comes Part Two of our adventure, Venus. To the world of Alanna!”

The cruiser set out at a moderate speed.

“How much longer till planetfall?” asked Venus. “Shall we ramp up speed?”

“Not much longer,” answered Sam, “Let’s take a few moments and enjoy our view of God’s Universe!”

“Oh, Sam!” said Venus, “All those wonderful, colorful worlds, and the mysterious stars! It’s such a glorious experience each time!”

“Like we’re enjoying a private viewing of God’s prize jewels!” Sam added.

As Sam drew close to the planet, he reduced speed and put the engines into downthrust.

The Polaris I gently landed on the world of Alanna.

He and Venus exited the cockpit.

“Sure wish we had our jet cycles now!” Sam joked.

“Well, I guess we both better get used to some exercise, “ said Venus. “Besides, we’ve been sitting down for awhile, anyhow!”

As the two walked along the emerald green vegetation, Venus looked off into the distance and saw a majestic purple peak towering into a soft violet sky.

“Sam, Isn’t it stunning?” she gasped. “I’ve never been on a world this beautiful!”

“I agree,” said Sam. “But, remember, a deadly explosive was launched from this world. We’ve got to find out why!”

They strolled through pleasant meadows while rainbow colored birds flying above chirped strange melodies.

Venus turned to Sam. “Alanna is one of the oldest planetoids we’ve discovered, Sam.”

Sam nodded and added, “Which makes me doubly curious as to why they’ve never answered our contacts.”

“And sent us that explosive, Sam!”

A weird orange and purple oval suddenly appeared. It gradually formed into a doorway, and out stepped five Alannians. They had husky bodies with four muscular arms and huge toadstool-shaped craniums.

The one in front had bushy red eyebrows. He turned to the one in back, who had thin blonde eyebrows and a very wrinkled forehead, if that term was appropriate.

Bushy Red said, “mtngjhgueepeegpp!!”

Thin Blonde responded, “roghijnjhhfrov.”

Bushy Red walked up to Sam, holding an instrument that resembled a small flashlight with snake-like coils. He flashed it on Sam and Venus.

Thin Blonde stated, “This is a Language Enhancer. We developed it millennia ago.”

Bushy Red added, “This is so we can understand one another. Why did you send the spy craft to our planet?”

Sam responded, “The World Space Council investigates and has treaties with all known planets. You never answered our invitation. So we sent the craft to your world…”

Busy Red interrupted, “We have known of your world for many years. We are an ancient civilization. We have guarded ourselves from your presence. We sent the explosive, hoping it would deter further communications.”

“But why?” asked Venus.

“Because we have watched you. We know your actions. We know you are a race of God Killers.”

“God Killers?”

“Yes. We had our eyes on your race nearly three thousand years ago. The Universal God condescended to your race, appearing in human form, and you killed Him.”

“But that was so long ago. The human race has…improved…since then!” said Sam.

Thin Blonde yelled out in a vicious tone, “We of the world you call Alanna have waited ever since for the Universal God to visit our world.”

Bushy Red interrupted once more. “We believe because of your race, and your sin, The Almighty has never visited us. Your race is a plague to this galaxy!”

“Let us demonstrate our peaceful intentions,” said Sam.

“Silence!” screamed Bushy Red. “We allowed you once to detonate our explosive. There will be no second chance!”

Two Allanians wrapped their powerful arms around Sam and Venus, and carried them into their ship.

Bushy Red snapped his fingers, and out appeared a coarse metallic rope.

“This binding is constructed of one of most powerful resources. You cannot hope to release yourself from it!”

Sam and Venus were bound to their seats.

An extra length was wired to a powerful explosive.

“This explosive is set to detonate in three of your earth days. As you killed your God, we want you to likewise suffer. Suffer and hunger. And think of your doom.”

“And, just in case,” said Thin Blonde, snapping his fingers, producing a blaster ray, which he aimed at the controls, hopelessly demolishing them.

As they were departing, Sam spoke once more. “Isn’t there anything we can do to…?”

“Nothing you can do!” said Bushy Red. “It’s all in the hands of your God. If He sees fit to save your worthless lives, then so be it!”

The Allanians disappeared into a void.

“Oh, Sam!” said Venus, “We’ve been through so much! Is this finally it?”

“We can still pray for a miracle!” Sam answered.

There was no way for them to free themselves as the bomb ticked away, but, of course, they tried.

As Sam attempted to wiggle, it suddenly hit him!

“Venus,” he said, “The device Jack gave me! It’s in my left pocket!”

“How can that help us, Sam?”

“It’s got a tiny button. If we can nudge it, it will put us on Jack’s frequency!”

Venus understood. She forced her body to wiggle and push against that pocket.

Then, there was a noise of static.

“You did it, Venus!” you did it!” Sam shouted.

On my end, I could just about make out Colonel Zodiacs’ voice. He apprised me of his situation.

“I’ll be there with the Polaris II just as soon as I can!”

“Thank God!” said Venus.

“But there’s a hitch,” I had to tell them, “Polaris II is in tip top shape. I made sure of that. But it’s got a whole less power than your ship. If I leave immediately, I can make it in just short of three days!”

Venus then spoke to me, “I’m counting on you, Jack!”

“Over and out!”

As a rule of protocol, I had to contact Commander Nero. I gave him the whole story.

“No way are you leaving this base!” he shouted. “You’re needed here! And you are not leaving me with a space base and no rockets!”

I didn’t even have to think.

“Then, I quit, with all due respect. And I’m kidnapping the rocket on my way out!”

I had to run. No spare jet cycles. I made it to Polaris II in record time. I started a countdown, then just felt silly, and simply blasted off.

As I said, Polaris II was no speedster, but the trip seemed to take forever. I thought of Colonel Zodiac and my poor, beautiful Venus, strapped to that bomb, knowing I was their one and only chance.

At last I reached Alanna. I surveyed the planetoid till I found Polaris I. I put my ship down beside it.

As I strode over to the cruiser holding Colonel Zodiac and Dr. Venus, a strange, colorful oval seemed to be opening out of thin area. A teleportation!

Five angered Alannians stepped through.

One of them pointed that device at me, which I later learned was utilized for communication.

“Another earthling!” shouted the one with thick red eyebrows, “Are you the Miracle their God has brought to deliver them?”

No use lying.

“I’m just a normal, average earthling.” I said, “There’s nothing special about me!”

“We awaited a sign from the Universal God, and what do we get? A puny earthling!”

They laughed.

“How do you propose to save your friends?” asked the one with light blonde eyebrows.

“By freeing them and lending them my ship!” I responded.

“Can it be true?” asked Bushy Red. “His tiny ship can’t hold three!”

“I love Colonel Zodiac and Dr. Venus” I said, “Their lives mean more to me than my own!”

“Then we will allow you entrance into their ship,” said Bushy Red. “We will see if your race has advanced to the point of willful sacrifice in the manner of The Universal God when He trod your earth!”

The Allanians stepped once more into the teleportation doorway which brought them a safe distance away.

By my calculations, Colonel Zodiac and Venus had somewhere between ten and twenty minutes till the explosion.

I rushed inside their ship.

Colonel Zodiac burst into a grin. “Jack, you son of a space shooter! You did it!”

Dr. Venus also shot me a smile.

I took out my miniature laser and weakened the bonds enough for the two to emerge.

“Not a second to lose!” shouted Colonel Zodiac. “That bomb’s detonating any minute now! C’mon, Jack!”

“You’re forgetting my ship holds only two! Now, both of you, out of here!”

“We can’t just leave you here!” Colonel Zodiac yelled. “We’ve got to find a way!”

“There is no way,” I said calmly, then broke into a laugh, “Anyhow, I quit the WSP!”

“But, Jack…” Venus began.

“Dr. Venus, you have to hurry! This is your only chance! The WSP…Earth…needs you and Colonel Zodiac!”

Before they exited the ship, Dr. Venus gave me a hug and a kiss.

“Dr. Venus, I…I…’

“I know,” said Dr. Venus.

Polaris II was well past the atmosphere when I became a fireball.

The Alannians watched from their distance.

“They have progressed!” said Bushy Red. “Greater love hath no man than to give his life for another!”

“Perhaps the Universal God has now forgiven the earthlings!” said Thin Blonde.

Much later, Colonel Zodiac returned to Alanna, to form a peaceful bond with them. They allowed him to scrape up my remains for a Christian burial on earth.

They laid me to rest in a small grave by a tall oak tree. Dr. Venus comes regularly to visit me. “Oh, Jack, why couldn’t it have been different?” she sometimes shouts.

And, when no one is near, she whispers to me, “I could have loved you, Jack.”




Recognized


Acknowledgements:
The characters in this tale were inspired by the following:
FROM FIREBALL XL5:
Colonel Steve Zodiac, pilot
Venus (no last name) doctor and Steve's assistant
Commander Wilbur Zero, commander in chief of the World Space Patrol
Lieutenant Jack Ninety
FROM FORBIDDEN PLNET:
Altaira was Dr. Morbius' daughter
Jerry Farman was Lieutenant of the ship C57D
FROM DC "Mystery In Space": Alanna was the fiancee of Adam Strange
FROM TOM CORBETT, SPACE CADET: his spaceship was The Polaris.

Three videos follow.
VIDEO ONE is the full, catchy closing theme of FIREBALL XL5
VIDEO TWO is a piano instrumental of the theme
VIDEO THREE is a rendition by Pinkietessa and Chow Mein.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jim vecchio All rights reserved.
jim vecchio has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.