General Fiction posted January 20, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A family fears for their lives, in the darkness of the fores

They Weren't Human

by Mr. Green

 

There was a knock at the door, and no one wanted to answer it. We had just bought a log cabin in the middle of the forest, along a lonely, winding stream.  A summer cabin for our families to enjoy. There shouldn’t have been anyone, for at least a couple of miles in any direction.

We all just sat there and glanced at one another, ready to stop the first person who got up from the table.

No one made a noise, no one uttered a peep.

Then, the knocking stopped and once again we all looked around the room. It was dark outside and while we sat in silence, I could feel the tension in each of us grow stronger.

Little Toby tip toed in his woolen socks to blow out the lamps that were burning. He blew the first one out, it was sitting near the window. As soon as the flame went out, we could hear the breaking of twigs and heavy footsteps running around the edge of the cabin toward the window. 

Little Toby put his hands over his mouth to muffle a fearful gasp. As the sounds outside came to a sudden stop, Toby stood frozen, as he began to hear the heavy breathing just outside the window. We could ask no more of the lad, he turned, and ran into his mother’s arms.

There were still two more lamps. My brother looked at me as if to ask if he should move to put one of them out. I was loading my rifle at the time, and before I could offer my brother a reply, there was a heavy thump on the roof.  My heart leaped into my throat as I looked up at the ceiling.

Something was walking on the roof of the cabin, whatever it was it wanted inside. I couldn’t help but wonder, if there were more than one of them now. What would happen if we challenged one of them? What would the other one do?

That is when the pounding at the door started.

I could hear the one on the roof begin making a high chirping sound, and I became more frightened than I had ever been in my life. There was something inside of me, telling me that chirping sound, the thing on the roof, whatever it was, it was calling out for more of them to come.

The pounding on the door got louder, and we could all hear those chirping sounds, they were coming from deep in the forest now. The thing on the roof seemed to be answering their call, they reminded me of the echo noises that bats make, only louder.

We didn’t have much time left.




This Sentence Starts The Story contest entry


Have you ever been frightened of the noises you hear in the night. Trying to solve the source of the noise, and yet frozen in place, unable to move because something inside of you tells you it is not safe. That is what happened when a knock at the door came in the darkness of the forest.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mr. Green All rights reserved.
Mr. Green has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.