General Fiction posted December 27, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Because all children deserve the best

Fire Escapes

by Heather Knight


‘Do you believe in fairies?’ Maya asked her best friend.

They were sitting on a dusty fire escape waiting for their mums to come back from work.

‘Nah! If there were fairies, we wouldn’t have to live like this.’

‘Ms. Wilson says fairies are real.’

‘Ms. Wilson’s white. Magic’s only for whites.’

‘Are you sure? Look!’

Maya opened her hand and a shiny sprite flew around the girls and, for the first time ever, they believed they had a future.




80 Word Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


Like Martin Luther King, and even though I'm white, I have a dream. Many dreams, in fact.

I wish all the wars would stop, we all had access to education, food, clean water... and the privileged life I have always lived myself.

There's an Instagrammer who has become viral. Her son Marcello has Down Syndrome. Her motto is 'Todo mundo cabe no mundo'.

People say we are all racist, that we discriminate against those who are different from us, but even though I have a million flaws, I find everybody fascinating. Black, disabled, homeless... Variety is the spice of life and everyone can teach us something new.

This is the link to the video about Marcelinho . Sorry, it's in Portuguese, but I guess you'll be able to get the main idea. Here, his mum, Raquel, and the little boy himself explain about how she found out about his condition. Her enthusiasm, hard work... is contagious.



And, of course, I wouldn't be me if I didn't wish you a Merry Christmas like this:



Thanks so much for reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.