General Fiction posted December 26, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
How does one define those two words?

Growing Old

by Mr. Green

I once knew a young couple in their eighty's who would, every weekend, get in their car and drive to one end of the state to watch a college football game, and then drive half way across the state to spend the night in order to drive the next morning to the other side of the state to watch an N.F.L. football game. They would then spend the night and drive home the next day. 
 
I marveled at their energy, because they enjoyed that part of their life, What I am saying is, they enjoyed that part of sharing life with each other. They were highschool sweethearts, and they were married for seventy-two years.
 
I have known a lady for many years now, she is a friend who turned 100 years old in 2023, and she can tell you whaat it was like growing up without electricity, or indoor pluming, or many of the modern conviences we have today. She can tell you what it was like from a first person point of view what it was like for families during the 2nd world war. She too has told me that growing old has had no golden lining.
 
So what is it that makes us say we are old?  Is it when OTHER people tell us we are old? Or is it when we accept what other people tell us, and we start to believe we are. There are so many questions on this subject, and I, have not, the answer. Becaise many of those we trust, are only trying to look out for us. 
 
Is it when our doctor suggests that we begin taking medication that we have never heard of; is that a sign that we are getting old. Some of us learn to listen to our bodies when our joints dont move as easily as they use to, or our backs don't allow us to stand strait anymore, or is it when our body begins to react in a manner that we would prefer to keep to ourselves.
 
Maybe old age is a matter of attitude more than physical restrictions.
 
Why is it that some people seem to grow older so much more gracefully than others? Is it our environment, our lifestyle, our interaction with others, be they positive or negative. Or is it in how we respect our bodies when we are young? Or could it be in knowing we are loved or not loved, maybe that plays a part.
 
I once had a female friend of mine walk up to me, she smiled, and then she buttoned the top button of my shirt, of which I had left unbuttoned in my attire for much of my life. She smiled again and said very caringly that I was not a young man any more, and I took her friendly gesture to heart. As time passed, about a year later, I was leaving that button undone as I had always done. Just in case you're asking yourself; Yes, I was wearing a T-shirt under my shirt.
 
So I am left wondering once again, what is old age?
 
I don't know, not really. I remember someone in their late seventies telling me that "Growing old ain't for wimps."  That same person told me, that "The Golden Years aren't so golden."
 
I supose there are many lessons in life that cannot be described adiquitly in words, some lessons are best learned by experience. At least that is the way it has been for me. For example, I was told at the tender age of twenty, that most men did not have a lick of sence untell they reached the age of twenty-five,  and sometimes not even then.
 
Well, to be honest with you, I did not believe a word of it, untill I was at least twenty-six,  or seven, and I had some life experience to look back on.  That is what I mean, sometimes life experience can make you, a wiser person. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mean trying everything out yourself, and living precariously, but rather observing the world around you, and learning from your observations.
 
I realized a while back, that long-term goals were no longer a reality for me,  and I asked myself, barring any medical complications, is this a sign of old age. I am left to ponder on such shoughts. Like watching your friends die before you, or  your children pass away, and with each passing you feel a little more lonely, as your world begins to shrink. This is sad, but it is a reality, and it breaks my heart.
 
The lady I mention above, who turned 100 years old, she was married to a world war ll, war hero, and each day she reaches out, and touches his picture. Her thoughts are her own....
 
So how does one describe getting older to someone so much younger then they are? To put it into words, only offers a description, and not the experience. Those of you who are old like I am, I am sure you understand , and for those who are much younger you are probably wondering why all the mystery. 
 
In order to grow older gracefully, you must know your limitations, and respect others,  because I have learned one reality to be true;  Getting Old Ain't for Wimps.
 
The nurses are coming to help me walk down the hall for my dinner.
 
It's been nice talking to you.




I have been spending some time at a retirement home. To those who work there, they are caring people, I thank you for that. To those who live there, you are from all walks of life, from Veterans to war heroes from authors of books to reporters. From wives to lonely widows. Just know that someone cares.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mr. Green All rights reserved.
Mr. Green has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.