Family Non-Fiction posted December 3, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
This is the final..

Arsenal Living. Final

by Ben Colder


Part 3 

The days of my childhood and remembering things that plagued my youthfulness even to this day, I find myself remembering the days of 1945 when the wars were over, and my brothers came home without a scratch.  

The arsenal still had some German prisoners still in captivity. They were mostly the men who had filed for visas to remain in the U.S and become American Citizens while others were shipped back to their native country.  

My oldest brother, whom I got to meet for my first time in life could speak German very fluently. One pretty day while the prisoners went about the business of picking up trash, one or two asked my brother various questions about their homeland.  After they finished and my brother came back inside the house, mother asked what it was they discussed.  

Brother grinned saying that one asked the condition of Berlin while the other ask if Hitler had been captured. The answer, Berlin was in shambles, and the Russians had Hitler’s dead body ashes. 

I was glad both of my brothers were home. Not only did seeing them and just being in their presence make a young boy like me feel proud. It built a faith in my mother’s prayers which came to be appreciated later in life.  

Though our nation was still in need of peaceful leadership and the restoration of things needed, the idea of various foods being on what we called rations seemed to vanish and soon replaced with answering the desires for many.  

The soldiers I had become acquainted with had all gone to their homes. Those who still needed physical needs were transferred to other facilities leaving the hospital to eventually be abandoned. 

Many of the service members found work at the arsenal, including my oldest brother, until the Air Force was created. It was there he made a career of 30 years and lived peacefully with his wife and two girls.  

I was proud to be a brother of two men who had served our nation with their lives. However, in my heart I knew it was the praying mothers which brought them all home safely. 

William, my second brother went on to become the vice president of a large trucking industry, something he really enjoyed.  

As my youth continued into maturity and the Korea war was at hand, I tried to enlist and be the soldiers my brothers were, but I was too young at the time. However, I did become a soldier in the Army at the age of seventeen. I was sent to Germany where eleven years earlier my oldest brother had fought for his life.  

I liked Germany, it was good duty and as I watched the people build back their torn country into a modern-day existence. My mind went to the day I met Hans, a young Germany prisoner and wondered if he lived to see his nation become what it was becoming.  

Today, Germany offers much to see and many places of history. Something a tourist would admire, especially their customs and the ale they drink. 

My days there were not always happy days, Russia and their threats kept us on constant alert.  

Today as I see and understand the danger that alert from Russia, my thoughts rush toward the moment Genral Patton wished to subdue Russia at the time the momentum was there. 

However, we as Americans live in a Christian society wither some wishes to acknowledge it or not. The truth is, we forgive and forget, and if possible, help restore that which the wars have taken away. 

In my life, I have come to know something about peace. In the world you have troubles and wars, but in Christ we have spiritual wars, but it is His peace, not as the world seeks, but a real peace that passes all understanding.  This peace is found only in Christ. If you know Him then you know this is true. If not? Then you can have the real peace by accepting Christ as your escape from this cruel and dying world.  

Thank you for reviewing my story about what it was like living in the arsenal during World War 2. 

                                          




Story of the Month contest entry

Recognized


A Grain of Wheat, my latest novel can be found on Amazon- Kendel. Many other book outlets.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ben Colder All rights reserved.
Ben Colder has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.