General Non-Fiction posted December 1, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A few little known facts about the popular cup of Joe

Coffee Misconceptions.

by Mark Childs

When asked what the most popular beverage in the world was, I guessed that it was beer.  I was wrong.  Water is number one, followed by tea, and coffee.  Tea consumption averages three billion cups per day worldwide with coffee sitting at 2.2 billion.

My cousin always insisted that tea had more caffeine than coffee. He would be wrong.  The caffeine level in tea varies depending on how long it is steeped but the average caffeine for a 12oz cup of black tea is 50mg.  Coffee is double that.

Many coffee houses now offer a dark roast, and the common belief is that the dark roast makes a stronger, more caffeinated cup of coffee, but that too, would be wrong.  Roasting a bean longer, leaches out caffeine leaving a strong-tasting brew with a lighter caffeine level.

Over the years, coffee brewing has changed.  When I was a kid, there were no coffee shops and coffee was made in a percolator.  Visits to our home, for a cup of Joe were commonplace in the 60’s, and early 70’s.  As the Tim Hortons chain grew in Ontario in the late 60’s, the old traditions began to fade.




Class Is In Session writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Your goal is to teach your fellow Fanstorians something they did not already know. It is a bonus if you make it interesting. The only solid rule is you have to do it in 200 words or less.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mark Childs All rights reserved.
Mark Childs has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.