General Non-Fiction posted November 30, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
It was a tough job cleaning surge milkers

Surge Milkers

by prettybluebirds


When my husband and I started our dairy, we milked with Surge Milkers. And believe me, those things were a pain in the butt. The milker had to be dismantled entirely after each milking and cleaned thoroughly. 
 
First, the inflations (the rubber pieces inside the stainless steel sleeves) had to be removed and cleaned with a brush made especially for that purpose to remove all milk residue.                                                                       
 
 Next, the pulsator atop the lid came off, and I hung it separately. It was essential to keep the pulsator dry if I expected it to work. Then, I scrubbed the stainless steel components, including the bucket, with a stiff brush and a soap formulated for food industry cleaning. 
 
I still wasn't finished because I needed to run a special brush through the long hose that connected the milker to the air necessary to make it work (there was a spot to connect the hose between each cow).
 
Sounds like I'm done? Nope. The straps used to hold the milker on the cow still must be washed. Our milk inspector never failed to check them.
 
Was I ecstatic when my husband decided to build a milking parlor? You bet.



Class Is In Session writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Your goal is to teach your fellow Fanstorians something they did not already know. It is a bonus if you make it interesting. The only solid rule is you have to do it in 200 words or less.

Recognized


I wish I had those Surge Milkers now. When I looked on Google for a picture, I saw they are valued anywhere from five hundred dollars to over three- thousand. We had more than ten of the milkers at one time. I think some of the Amish still use them.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. prettybluebirds All rights reserved.
prettybluebirds has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.