Fantasy Flash Fiction posted September 14, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Loneliness can be deadly

Technological Suicide

by Paul McFarland


The rover had been on Mars for years. It had sent back a tremendous amount of data to Earth. A few months back, while navigating a rough piece of terrain, the rover's communication system was damaged, and contact with Earth was lost. When the rover was designed, scientists created a computer that would imitate the personality of a human. The communications with the rover were very similar to phone calls between two people. When the scientists were no longer able to make contact with the rover, it wandered over the Martian surface awaiting instructions. When no instructions came, it attempted to carry on a meaningful existence. Its solar batteries enabled it to function, but with no purpose. Eventually the rover, with its semi-human personality, became frustrated with the isolation and climbed a steep ridge. At the top of the precipice, it lingered for a moment, then plunged to its death.



Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized

#35
September
2023


I wonder if this has happened.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by World Travel Photos at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Paul McFarland All rights reserved.
Paul McFarland has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.