Spiritual Fiction posted September 11, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Standing Before the Bar of God

My Worst Fear ...

by Tom Horonzy


 
Standing at the bar, I knew I had gone too far as the man in attendance wasn't draped in an apron but wore a crimson robe surrounded by a glow caused by His eminence.

I doffed my cap while staring at a supreme authority, feeling my knees shake as aspens do at higher elevations, realizing I could not appeal to a higher court than where I stood, being deposed before the Chief Justice of Eternity. 

I thought, "it be best if I did not order a drink," when He addressed me, "How is it that you plea?"

Looking about, I saw no bailiff, clerk, or jury. The gallery was full of folks I recognized and others not identified.  The only other item visible was a television screen which, somehow I surmised, held evidence of what I had done. Who knew for sure, but me, thus, I decided to mind my Q's and P's.

I pled the fifth, which by the way is what I desired, but did not see even a pint.

"Not in this court," came His reply. "How about a glass of water?"

"Not needed, your excellency." I squeezed my knees tighter, hoping what I previously drank wouldn't drip. Feeling in serious trouble, I requested legal counsel.

He replied again, "Not in this Court."
 
Thus, I had to represent myself, which led to my questioning why I hadn't attended law school. Feeling on the hot seat  I mused, then replied, "Have you evidence to support a case?"

Without warning, the screen began to display image after image of everything to anyone I violated. "How could this be?" Easy. The only witness present for each and every occurence was ostensively me. 

The scenes being viewed were reruns of the happenings.  I was the chief witness against myself.  What an embarrassment!  In front of God and family, what I thought I had escaped with proved to be a fantasy, for I had been taught in my youth to "Choose the Right." I didn't. Now, I would reap the consequences of past wrongdoings. 

I pled "guilty as charged," and begged for mercy.

Therefore, instead of gaining  a degree of paradisiacal glory,  I was sentenced to a lesser Edenic setting where I would remain until I realized how wrong the wrongs were that I commited. 

With no chance to make restitution to those injured  for things done that shouldn't have been, I would share the stripes and scourgings the Judge had taken for me by His Atonement, understanding when my repentance was complete, He had a room waiting for me.
 



My Worst Fear Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized


I have thought time and again, that if a heavenly journal is being kept, it is likely our recorded memory, which is the only thing we can take with us upon our death.

The photographs are largely from Pexels.com interspersed with my own/
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tom Horonzy All rights reserved.
Tom Horonzy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.