Fantasy Fiction posted July 9, 2023 Chapters:  ...50 51 -52- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Finale

A chapter in the book The Piper

The Piper, part 52

by w.j.debi


Moonlight spilled through the trees in the glen behind the Summerstorm cottage creating dappled patterns on the damp grass. A late spring rainstorm, complete with thunder, lightning, and gusty wind, had passed a few hours ago. Now, the fresh aromas of moist soil and various forest flora teased the senses. A few stars winked down at the scene.

Benches grown from vines were grouped around the perimeter. An appealing melody wafted through the air as a lone flute player plied his craft from one of those benches. It was a thoughtful tune, gentle and, somehow, inquisitive. An owl cocked its head to listen. Insects hummed and chirped in tempo to the rhythm. Frogs croaked a pulse into the melody. The corners of Piper’s lips curled upward as a curious rabbit hopped to the edge of the tree line, and its eyes glowed at him from across the glen.

Do you see the deer, Piper? asked the flute.

Where? he asked without missing a note.

On the other side of the glen. In the trees to your left.

Ah, yes. I see it now.

The deer stood in the shadows of the trees, peering at Piper. Its short tail flicked back and forth. Without a sound, a hoof raised, hesitated in mid-air, then slowly descended to the ground. Tail flicking increased. Six tentative steps forward were followed by cautious sniffing. Hugging the tree line, the deer crept forward until it reached a large bush. It craned its neck to peek past the foliage. Piper continued playing as he focused on the creature. The deer ventured another ten steps forward and paused in full view to stare at Piper.

I don’t understand, Piper, the flute questioned. We’re not using any magic.

It’s just curious. Music casts its own enchantment.

Suddenly, the deer turned, leaping into the trees.

Piper stopped playing and set the flute across his lap. He called over his shoulder. “Hello, Father.”

Redd-Leif walked over to the bench. “Hello, my boy. That’s a nice tune. I don’t believe I’ve heard it before.”

“It’s a new composition I’m working on.” Piper took a cloth from his satchel and began cleaning the flute.

“I like it. Are you going to play it at the concert tomorrow night?”

“Maybe. It still needs a little work.”

Redd-Leif surveyed the area then asked, “Mind if I join you?”

“Please, do.”

Redd-Leif picked up the flute case that was sitting on the bench next to Piper then sat down. He examined the case, tracing the intricate pattern in the leather with his finger. “The Faerie Queen doesn’t give gifts often.”

“I know. It’s beautiful. I’m so honored that she replaced the one Sheba ripped to shreds.” Piper took the case and placed the cooing flute into it.

“Sheba had to do it in order to remove the flute so she could bring it to you. The faeries couldn’t get it out of the tree you hung it in.”

The flute let out a flurry of scolding notes.

Piper patted the flute case. “And I won’t be leaving you behind again.”

The flute gave an approving trill.

“Where are your two faeries?” Redd-Leif asked.

“They had a meeting with the Faerie Queen. Afterwards, they’re taking the night off to play with their friends. They feel I am safe here at home.”

Piper studied his father’s bandaged arm and scratched face. “Aren’t you supposed to be resting?”

“I needed to get out of the cottage.”

Piper grinned. “So, is Master Braun still trying to convince Mother that I should return with him to Castle Welf?”

“Well, Braun’s arguments do have merit. If you return with him, it will be easier for you to come and go between the realms. He’s created a credible story to cover the disappearance and rescue of his two apprentices. If you show up later, it will be more complicated. 

“Besides, from what I understand, Master Braun is to be assigned Master Acker’s old chambers. As his first apprentice, you can keep your old rooms. It seems the new grand master, Master Kort, likes his present accommodations and isn’t too thrilled to go through Master Acker’s things. That will be Master Braun’s job and his apprentices.” Redd-Leif leaned toward Piper. “Personally, I think Grand Master Kort believes the doors to those chambers are enchanted and that frightens him.”

Piper laughed. “The carved figures do appear to dance in the flickering light of the torches and lamps. That frightens some people.” He thought a moment. “Are they enchanted?”

“As far as I know, they are just the work of a very talented craftsman, a human craftsman.”

They sat in silence, watching the night birds flit about the glen.

Piper finally asked, “You think I should go with Master Braun, then?”

“I didn’t say that. There are also risks. You will be an elemental in the human realm. I know you always have been, but now that you know it, things will be different. Not all humans are tolerant of what they call the fair folk.”

“I know. I grew up with the stories.”

“Although we have treaties, there are no guarantees that they will be honored by everyone.”

Piper frowned. “People like Captain Burkehart.”

“In varying degrees. If you go back to Castle Welf, the safest course would be to go as Piper Strauss, apprentice musician to Master Braun. It would be best to avoid mentioning your Fae and elven heritage. You will need to be cautious.”

Piper nodded.

Redd-Leif took a deep breath. “Truth is Piper, I would like you to stay here in Elfhaven. We could get to know each other better. Your brother and sister would like that, too. And your mother, well, Melodica has yearned to see you every day you’ve been gone.” His next words seemed far away. “She and I missed your entire childhood.”

Redd-Leif cleared his throat and put a smile on his face. “Also, you have much to learn about the faerie realm and your heritage. By staying here, you’d have a lot of support as you explore the magic in music. In addition to Melodica and Master Crescendo, there are several music masters that are eager to work with you, as are their students. You’d be safer here, free to explore and wield your music without worry of discovery.”

Redd-Leif paused to watch a moth flitter by. “But you are also of an age when most young men leave home to begin their apprenticeships.”

Piper thought for a moment. “So, who do you think will win the argument, Master Braun or Master Crescendo?”

“It doesn’t matter.”

“What?” Piper’s brows furrowed. “It’s my life they are deciding.”

“No. It is your life they are discussing. The choice is yours.”

“Oh.”

Redd-Leif chuckled. “Don’t look so worried Piper. You don’t have to make the decision right away. Master Braun usually spends several weeks with us each summer so you have time to weigh your options. Search your heart for the answer. It will guide you far better than your eyes or ears if you trust it.”

Piper nodded. “You told me that when we first met.”

Redd-Leif smiled. “I may have; I have long believed it. Besides, you can always change your mind if it doesn’t work out the way you hope.”

There was a low growl at Redd-Leif’s side. They both turned to look at Sheba.

“I’m sorry to interrupt you two gentlemen, but Master Crescendo has arrived with his wife Lady Spring, and Rupert is with them. We can eat now.”

Piper smiled at the enchanted wolf. “Hello, Sheba. Hungry?”

“Starving. Between Melodica’s delicacies and the scrumptious treats the brownies have made, there are so many good things to eat tonight my mouth is already watering.” She licked her lips. “I may never leave Cottage Summerstorm again.”

Redd-Leif chuckled. “You’re welcome to stay as long as you like, Sheba.”

“Thank you, my friend. Now, hurry. I’m heading in. Even though I’m recuperating, I bet I can still beat you back to the cottage.” Sheba started toward the cottage at a slow trot.

“We’re right behind you.”

As he rose to his feet, an ethereal glow enveloped Redd-Leif. While they had been talking, the full moon had risen above the trees and now shone directly on him. The exposed skin of his face and arms shimmered with the fabled silver-blue hue of the Fae.

Redd-Leif extended his glistening hand. “Come, Piper. We don’t want to keep your mother and the others waiting, especially a certain starving wolf who is not a wolf.”

Piper grinned, slipping the strap of his flute case over his head with one hand as he grabbed his satchel with the other. When he reached to grasp his father’s hand, his eyes widened. Perhaps it was only a trick of the dazzling moonlight, but Piper could swear there was a silver-blue sheen to his own skin.
 
~~~~~~~~



Book of the Month contest entry


Since this is the final chapter, I am skipping the synopsis and list of characters. Instead, I would like to thank all those who have read and reviewed this novel along the way. I appreciate all you have done to help.

A special thank you to two people who have read and reviewed every chapter:

rspoet and Pam(respa)--Your support, encouragement and suggestions have been invaluable.
Robert has a great memory for catching past characters and situations and keeping me on course.
Pam knows the right questions to ask to get me to consider options. I hope the deer is familiar. I've been trying to fit it in, but couldn't find a spot until now.

Thank you also to royowen who has faithfully followed the story, reviewing consistently with much encouragement since chapter 27.

Free stock photo. Artist = StuartMiles
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. w.j.debi All rights reserved.
w.j.debi has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.