Romance Fiction posted May 10, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
It's best not to get involved in another's love life.

Relationships Are Fragile

by BethShelby


Jake, I’d like to know why you had to go tell Steve, I was in a restaurant with some guy.

Me? Why are you accusing me? What makes you think I told him anything? Did he say I told him that?  If someone told him, it could have been anyone.

I know it was you. You were the only one who saw me in that restaurant. Why couldn’t you mind your own business? I wasn’t doing anything wrong. Besides, they were just guys from my speech class at school.

Well, Sandi, He is my brother. He needed to know. You two are supposed to be going steady. He’d tell me if Cheryl was cheating on me.

In the first place, I wasn’t cheating. What’s wrong with sitting with friends when you're having coffee and pie? Neither one of those guys were with me. They were with each other. Couldn’t you tell they were gay?

How was I supposed to know? I wasn’t looking at them. Go tell Steve they were just friends from class. Maybe he’ll believe you.

What exactly did you tell him? When he was home last weekend, he was barely talking to me. He acted like I had the plague. You need to be the one to fix this.

Look, I'm staying out of it. Apparently, he doesn’t trust you. If he had, he wouldn’t have gotten so upset.

If that's the way you plan to play it, maybe I will tell you who I saw Cheryl making out with in the theater last Friday. On the other hand, go ask her yourself. Maybe she’ll tell you.

* * * * * *

Hey Steve. What's going on with you and your girlfriend?  I saw her the other day, and she was all upset.

It’s all good, Bro. I was about to tell you, Sandi and I are getting married, and I have you to thank.

You’ve got to be kidding.  What did I do?

You know how you told me about seeing her in that restaurant? It turns out, she was with a couple of gay friends from her class. She thought I was upset, and she was afraid she was going to lose me, so she finally agreed to marry me. How about you being my best man?  Maybe, Cheryl can be in the wedding, too.

Well, congratulations!  I’ll do whatever you need me to do, but forget about Cheryl. We broke up. It turns out, she's been dating some other guy. You never know who you can trust.

 




Dialogue Only Prompt writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story using only dialogue. No narration, descriptions, or sentence tags. Maximum word count: 1,000.

Recognized

#36
May
2023


I realize this ran recently in a contest but it is near the 26 review mark, so I 'm hoping to get another couple of reviews.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BethShelby All rights reserved.
BethShelby has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.