Humor Fiction posted March 2, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Let's Write Some Prose contest entry

Those Chocolate Covered Cherries

by DragonSkulls

Let's Write Some Prose Contest Winner 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The season had ended. There would be no more such delicacies until the Christmas season came around again. At the Dollar store, well, the now Dollar Twenty-five store, there was one single box of chocolate covered cherries left. The good kind, Queen Anne, not the cheap knock offs, the best when it comes to chocolate covered cherries. Well, I bent to put my heavy, already full basket of dollar twenty-five goodies on the floor when some clown reached right over the top of me and snatched the precious box before I stood back up. "Hold on, pal, I was going to grab those."

He smiled. "Looks like you missed your chance, friend," he said with a mocking tone in his voice. "Maybe next year."

That wasn't going to fly with me. "The problem is...I'm not waiting until next year. I'll be having me a delicious chocolate covered cherry tonight after dinner." I grabbed the box he held tightly in his hand yet didn't release.

"What's going to happen..." He gritted his teeth. "...is you're letting go of this box of chocolate covered cherries before I savagely kick your teeth down your throat."

I watch a lot of caged, full contact UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships) on YouTube and figured I could down this guy in a couple moves and leave with those righteous chocolate covered cherries in my bag before the cops even showed up. He was a pretty good sized boy but still..."Listen, chump, those cherr-"

He blasted me square in the face with a massive right hook. Before I could even wince, he kicked me two feet off the ground, straight up the gonads. I was instantly down for the count.

He was fourth in line at the counter. In agony on the floor, I watched as one by one the checkout line grew shorter, closer to him escaping with my ultimate candy pleasures. I finally caught my breath as he was paying.

Heading toward the door is when I, linebacker, tackled him and we crashed through the giant plate glass window onto the sidewalk. When we righted ourselves, I kicked him in front of a passing car. At five miles an hour it didn't do much damage. From the side of the parking lot thruway, he picked up a shopping cart and hurled it at me.

I dove out of the way, grabbing the bag with the chocolate covered cherries as I rolled. I started to run to my car when, like a Hulk Hogan wannabe, he flew through the air and intercepted my escape with a legendary take down.

The bag flew from my hand and we both watched, as if in slow motion, that same car drive right over the bag we were so diligently trying to attain.

He loosened his grip on my neck, stood up and let out a long, exaggerated sigh. I painfully arose and we both just hobbled to our cars and left that day, chocolate covered cherryless.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



Let's Write Some Prose
Contest Winner

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. DragonSkulls All rights reserved.
DragonSkulls has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.