Children Fiction posted February 23, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
All it takes is a magic show

The Magic Speaks for Itself

by jmdg1954



 
 
 
 
 
 

Billy was leaning on the doorbell, ring … ring … ring.. trying to get his friend's attention.

“Joey … Joey … come on. It’s getting ready to start. We gotta go, NOW!”

Joey and his family recently moved into the neighborhood and Billy was the only kid he knew. Being shy, he was hoping to make more friends when school started.

Joey threw open the door in excitement, knocking into his friend. “Hi, Billy. What’s ready to start?”

The street was filled with kids headed down the block. 

“Let’s go, magic show at old man Lazard's house,” he said, pushing Joey down the driveway.

When they reached Lazard's house, kids were standing all over his front lawn.

Billy looked around. “Come on, follow me,” he said leading Joey through the hedges then re-emerging towards the front. 

Standing on the porch was Mr. Lazard, dressed as a magician; black jacket and pants, black cape with the red lining, white gloves and top hat.

“Cool, I never seen a magic show,” Joey said, so far impressed.

Lazard removed the top hat from his head, tilted it to show his audience it was empty before placing it on the magician's table. 

Using the magic wand he tapped the hat three times, stuck his hand inside and pulled out a white bunny. Cute and furry with a pink nose, he handed it to a young girl standing in the front.

When the kids began to clap, Lazard took a bow. Next he tapped the hat twice with the wand, placed his hand inside once again and pulled out a red handkerchief, followed by a golf club, then a baseball glove. He stopped, looked in the hat with his flashlight, then stuck his whole arm in and pulled out an ice cream sundae loaded with whipped cream, sprinkles and cherries. The kids were yelling with excitement. Joey was all smiles. 

“I need a volunteer to be sawed in two,”Lazard shouted, showing his audience a large saw.

When no one raised a hand, Billy shoved Joey towards the porch.

“Well, well, young man. What’s your name?”

“Ah… Jo… Joey, sir."

The kids were silent, holding their breath with anticipation. 

“Welcome, Joey,” Lazard smiled and went on saying, “There’s nothing to it. I’ll have you cut in two and back to one piece in no time!”

Joey gulped, climbed into the box, and closed his eyes tight as Lazard lowered the lid, engulfing him in total darkness. I’m going to kill Billy if I get out of here alive!

Minutes later, Lazard pulled the saw from the box. Thick red fluid oozing from the teeth of the saw, dripping onto the porch floor. He opened the lid, un-latched the sides of the box. There lay Joey, still and lifeless.

Suddenly, he opened his eyes, took a deep breath and popped up, all smiles. 

“You did it, Joey. You did it,” yelled Billy, high-fiving his friend.

The kids ran up to the porch and formed a circle around him. Jumping and patting him on the back, they chanted his name, “Joey, Joey, Jo…”

Before anyone could say flinkinfloodle fleedleflump three times fast, Joey was elevated to star status.




Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.